New Owner

ne-sd

Got my RTV-900 yesterday and spent today learning how to use it. I had watched the user group forum since the first of the year - after I had decided that WE needed an off-road type vehicle. Thanks to all of you that frequent to forum and give so freely of your own experiences and your recommendations. I also installed a winch this afternoon - had purchased the winch a couple of weeks ago. As above - thanks for making my choice easier. I did get the glass windsheild, heator, steel top for the worksite model. I will use this on a hobby farm, for hunting and fishing, and for photography.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
ne-sd,</P>

Boy, has your world just turned for the better !!!! Congrad's !!!!</P>

You made a perfect decision ~~ on everything ~~~ the only thing you might want to look into in getting yourself a <FONT size=2>V4271 High Mount Cleaner ROPS Kit</FONT>. The High Mount Kit will help youon your air filters. They will pay for themself quickly, and also a big plus for the RTV engine, Since you plan on using it on your hobby farm & Hunting . There is a thread on here telling all about them .I myself have learned much on this forum, they are some super folks on here. Heck, I can see your smile from here !!!!!!!! </P>

HAVE A GOOD DAY ~~~~~~~~</P>

ne-sd

Thanks Two Guns The high mount was part of the deal - they have ordered the kit and expect it to be here next week. Again thanks to the discussions on the board. You should see the smile on my hunting partner - no more dragging!!!!!!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi NE-SD!! Welcome to the forum. I have a worksite with agressive tires. What type of tires did you get? That hydraulic lift is really nice on the WSfor servicing the RTV if nothing else! Have fun !!!. Bordercollie[&]

ne-sd

Bordercollie I got the HDWS tires since they seemed to have an open tread that would clean themselves in mud or snow. I do want to get another set of wheels and some tires that could be used on hard surface roads (like a utility farm tire) since we do travel on hard surfaced roads here when we are hunting. I would make a set of chains to fit that we could use when necessary.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I bet your "dragging partner" does have that big smile ..... I too, remember the dragging days. The flashbacks are horrible !!!! </P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi NE-SD, Itoo got the WS tires when I got my RTV in Feb 05. I had been driving a 2001 3010 Mule and thought the tires were close to the same... Well here on the farm I just got stuck all the time .The tires really don't clean well , they just gum up.!! I got stuck one last time and had no one to call that day.. I finallygot homegot on the internet searched kubota rtv tires and found a dealer on that world famous site. I went with a pair of mudlites- Tons of traction!! I admit the wsgive a better ride but I don't have to walk home with the aggresive tread. I have over 900 hrs on these tires and they are still o.k. I kept the WS with the intent to use them in the summer- haven't yet. I guess I will put them on when I trade. I can go most places in 2WD with the agressive tread. I hear the bear paws are good too. If you are concerned about this, perhaps your dealer would trade out a set of their aggressive tires for you off another machine?The WS are good only for hard services in my opinion. I wish you luck in your decision . 1505 hrs and counting.Bordercollie[&][&]

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I agree with Bordercollie !!! During the deal in purchasing my RTV in Feb.,'07, I ask my dealer to swap out the tires that were on it and put some aggressive tires like what was on the Camo models, and he did at no cost ..... And I will say, I have put mine in asome goodmud, and they suprised me for what they did, but it is not bad winter time yet in the swamps, for when it shows up, and I really need some aggressive tires, I am going to the MudLite 589 M/S ...But don't knowifgoing to purchase 26", 27" or get a lift kitandinstall 28" .for there is a man on another farm has them, I was with him many times last year with his on his RTV,and they are the most diggin' tires I have ever seen on any utility vehicle. I plan on purchasing a set of wheels and mount the 589's, during the off season, just run the camo mud grips. Been lookin' at some on Allterrainonline.com ~~~~~ they have all kinda goodies to beef up the RTV line ..........</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd Bordercollie's note the the HDWS tires will gum up and get you stuck.

I went with the Maxxis Bighorn's and they've worked flawlessly in all conditions.

TWO GUNS - Be careful where you drive with those 589's. As you mentioned, they've got some seriously aggressive tread. I had them on one of my ATV's (which only weighs 1/4 of the RTV) and there's no way you can drive it over lawns (or anything else) without making ruts unless the ground is hard and dry or frozen solid. I could only use mine once the ground froze.

As for the 589 tire size, I don't recall the specifics, but there's a couple considerations if I remember correctly.
Watch the height. Once mounted and inflated, I "think" they stand taller than the listed measurements.
Watch the width. Once you get into the 25x10x12 or 25x12x12 (I don't recall if it's both sizes or just the latter), the tires don't have that bulge you would see on other tires. They're like the HDWS tires which are flat all the way across. That may cause some rubbing issues. The more I think about it, I "think" it's only an issue on the 25x12x12.
Here's a pic of my old ATV with the 589's. On the front tires, you can see they're kind of coned in the middle. It's hard to see in the back but they're actually a bit flatter/wider. The fronts are 25x8x12, the rears are 25x10x12