New owner

Prinsen-Ranch

Hi folks,</P>

</P>

I've been lurking and reading the archives of this site for the last couple of months. Two days ago I gave in and bought an RTV 1100. I ranch in Shasta Valley California, haying in the summer and feeding stock in the winter. Last year I put nearly 400 hours on my Honda Rancher. I've been looking at UTVs ever since the first mule and gator came out, but never before seen one I wanted to own.</P>

I've only put 8 hours on my new machine so far, but it looks like it's going to do what I need it to. After reading all of the comments on tires here I really went back and forth before settling on the worksite tires, but I will be spending a lot of time in my alfalfa fields and didn't want anything too agressive. We've had a lot of rain lately and the tires pack up quickly, but I only have had to use 4X4 or diff. lock on the steepest slopes. I'm going to be putting in a lot of hours on gravel roads so I want something to hold up and also to pick up as few nails and old cutterbar teeth as possible. </P>

I do hope it gains speed as it breaks in. My top speed so far has been 23 MPH downhill on a smooth gravel road. </P>

BTW I just spent the summer driving a hydrostat. Deere swather and a hydrostat. Ford tractor pulling my baler and it's still taking me time to adjust to the hydrostatic braking on the RTV. I've thrown my wife and our newest puppy into the dash on separate occassions.</P>

Mark</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Mark,</P>

Welcome to the forum,</P>

Your really going to appreciatethe RTV moreas time goes on .This machine was made to work, and work it will. I have found out it will take everything I use it on the farm here. </P>

As far as the speed, well, you might gain a mile or two after the first service . But that's about it as far as I know. These units were designed to slow ride, but will pull their butt off. Don't know if you are aware that this hydro-transmission is two stage, there is post on this forum that explains and tells you how to use it. That's when you find out how much power this machine has. I was shocked when I found this out in about the 17th hour of mine. Then things started falling together. Some folks, like myself didn't know exactly how to use the tranny, but once you get it figured out. I't a whole different world. As far as the quick braking on the RTV, after a few hours of slowly letting off the fuel petal, you will get so used to it, it will be like driving your truck .</P>

The tire situation, you might just have to play it by ear. I would imagine the tire you have will suit you just fine. But if not, you can do like several others has done, like myself, have a set for wet months, and a set for the drier months. You might want to pick you a set of tires not to aggressive, but will also clean themselves as they go.</P>

Get your wife to hold the pup with one hand in the seat, click the seat belt on, keep her free hand on the O/S bar, and put on that smile, it gets better !!!!!</P>

Have a Good Day & Enjoy Your New RTV >>>>>>>>>> [:D]</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mark,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new RTV.

Things will loosen up and you'll gain a little speed and the tranny will be easier to shift and not quite as abrupt on stopping.

As mentioned, you'll get better with stopping (unless you're like me and like to see if you can toss passengers out of the seat). A method to smooth out the stop is to apply the brake with the left foot just prior to the stopping on the hyd. braking. It'll then use your brakes instead of the hyd and make it very smooth.

Brian

JWHAYS

Mark, welcome to RTV world!</P>

I'm a newbie, but have put the machine thru some pretty incredible situations. I live out in the high desert where we have soft sand and steep hills. It's an amazing machine!</P>

I've found the folks out here to be very helpful and friendly. Welcome aboard!</P>

...John</P>

Oak Hills, CA</P>

Prinsen-Ranch

Thanks for the welcome guys. </P>

With only 10 hours on it I can already feel the RTV beginning to loosen up a little and either I'm getting better at "throttle" control or the breaking is getting less abrupt. My top speed has increased to 24 MPH on the same stretch of road and shifting is easier.</P>

I imagine that I'll probably be searching for the "perfect" tires for as long as I own the machine. After 200k I'm still trying to find just the right compromise for my pickup. I've had many good tires on it; they're just good at different things. Thestock RTV tireskeep surprising me. They look packed up with mud, but it takes a lot to actually spin them. Shifting to 4x4 and hitting the diff. lock lets me climb things that would have my Honda's front tires spinning. The RTV just slogs up and over with no drama. I love the even power application of the diesel combined with hydrostatic transmission. </P>

Mark</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear things are going better.

[quote user="Prinsen-Ranch"]After 200k I'm still trying to find just the right compromise for my pickup.[/quote]
Holy cow Mark?!?!?!

You've spent $200K trying out tires for your pickup? [*-)][:p][;)] Sounds like you've bought more than a couple sets...
Just jokin' with 'ya.

Brian