New to the forum with a new machine oil leak.

Gil Favor

Been reading a lot here, lots of great information here, hope I can contribute a little one day.

I have a 2023 rtv 1120D that leaks a little fluid directly under the transmission. It seems to happen after getting real nice and hot (after running it down the road for a couple miles at 3/4 throttle). At first I thought is was just some liberally applied spray grease melting off but now I’m not sure. No obvious leaking point looking under the machine. It’s clear and thin to the touch, kinda looks more like hydraulic fluid to me but I’m far from an expert.
Any ideas on what to check before it goes back to the dealership for something simple?
Also please pray for some rain in Texas, we could really use it.

Thanks a lot gentlemen!

CAC74A1A-F498-4656-8601-6C68F4AB82CF.jpeg

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
With the skid plates it is real hard to tell where the leaks come from. I have found leaks by removing the skid plates and cleaning everything off and then look for leaks every time before and after I drove it. Mine is almost 10 years old though. If I had a new one It would go back to the dealer immediately.

Gil Favor

With the skid plates it is real hard to tell where the leaks come from. I have found leaks by removing the skid plates and cleaning everything off and then look for leaks every time before and after I drove it. Mine is almost 10 years old though. If I had a new one It would go back to the dealer immediately.
Thanks, this picture is after sitting for a few days, just a few drops accumulating on the frame underneath. It does appear, however, to be more centered rather than towards the back.

Attachments

• 440B9D42-5575-4062-B364-640B19BE1EFA.jpeg
    440B9D42-5575-4062-B364-640B19BE1EFA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Gil Favor

Ran it today for two hours stop and go, cleaning up trash along the fence line/roadside...been sitting for a couple hours and no drips at all. Only seems to happen when I run it down the road for several miles (I like to vary all driving conditions during break in)...

On a side note...people are animals, absolute monsters!

780118D3-F39A-484E-8CB9-8EA4D455F6C4.jpeg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My sister had has a Lexus car. She took it to the dealer and had the engine oil changed... Came home and there was a little oil leak under it. its low to the ground so I couldn't crawl under but did see the oil every day ..She took it back to the dealer, they put it on the rack and showed her there was no oil leaking by putting a light all around. Well, it was leaking again when she got home.. Took it to another dealer and when they changed the oil there, they found out there was NO washer on the drain plug. Problem solved.

Gil Favor

My sister had has a Lexus car. She took it to the dealer and had the engine oil changed... Came home and there was a little oil leak under it. its low to the ground so I couldn't crawl under but did see the oil every day ..She took it back to the dealer, they put it on the rack and showed her there was no oil leaking by putting a light all around. Well, it was leaking again when she got home.. Took it to another dealer and when they changed the oil there, they found out there was NO washer on the drain plug. Problem solved.
Thanks, yeah it’s got to be something simple. Only happening after extended drives is odd to me, the oil temperature is always at “3 bars.” On extended drives I’m guessing everything in the engine bay gets a lot hotter...why I was thinking something with thermal expansion or just the spray grease melting off...condensation?

I emailed the service manager last week asking if it was common or anything I could check myself...all he said was, looks dark, could be engine oil, may need to come in.

Earlier this year I bought a L3902 from the same dealer and it hasn’t leaked a drip in 50 hours. I guess I’ll take the skid plate off and run it down the road again and see what I can see.

Hey one more thing I’m curious about, if the RTV has the same drivetrain as a tractor, how come my tractor hst is so whiney? Is it just the heavier tires and frame/more rolling resistance?

Thanks again for yalls thoughts.

Reactions: Doc

4570FAN

See if there is any fluid around the "candy cane" shaped transmission vent. I do long on-road journeys with some long hills. I've occasionally found oil in this area.