Newbie with a question pausing transmission.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that sounds good. now check that line between the hst reservoir and the transmission? is it collapsing? any foam in the reservoir? with wheels off ground and allowed to spin???

Iron mike

with motor running and in neutral and in gear the lines is not collapsing, there is some movement of fluid in the tank but not much, I added another pint of fluid, I can not hear a buzzing or circulating noise from the HST.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
OK. since you have power steering and bed lift i think all of the mechanical between the hst and engine are good. ssounds like the gearcase is good also. i need to back up to the basics and confirm all of the controls are working as they should. with the engine off cycle the peddle or have someone do it for you while you watch with the bed raised. when you cycle the peddle does the speed control rod move and does the speed control lever move the shaft on the servo control? the rod should angle down to the rear corner of the machine and attach to a small lever clamped to a shaft?

Iron mike

The speed control pedal attaches via cable to a shaft going across the top top the engine, the cable attaches on the passenger side the shaft is attached to a rod on the drivers side which leads to the rear of the HST and operates a lever, all these move freely

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
The speed control pedal attaches via cable to a shaft going across the top top the engine, the cable attaches on the passenger side the shaft is attached to a rod on the drivers side which leads to the rear of the HST and operates a lever, all these move freely

make double sure the speed control lever on the little shaft isn't slipping on the shaft??? the one on the bottom rear of the HST

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you have to have adequate case pressure put up by the charge pump in order for the servo piston to tilt the swash plate.

Iron mike

Pressure (yellow) at the rear suction (white) towards the front. Filter locations are correct, but no way to tell if one is collapsEd without removing them. Do I need to drain the fluid to remove the filters? I will check to make sure the shafts turn with the levers and that I haven’t lost a set screw or pin preventing the shafts from moving. But that’s for the morning. Thanks for the guidance so far, much appreciated.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you can try applying a small amount of air pressure to the tank to prime the charge pump. if you think it could be air locked. remember to close the vent.

Iron mike

Ok, the day started well, but ended on a different note.

Started by checking all the linkage arms to make sure they were not spinning on the shafts, all was good.

Disconnected the hydraulic return line, ran a line to a clear tank to observe flow. In Neutral there was barley a trickle, in gear it was slightly better but not by much, this was at idle and while revving the motor.

Replaced the suction filter (yellow) and preformed the same test, flow was much better.

replaced the transmission filter (white) preformed the same test, another improvement in flow. Also put it into gear and I had wheel movement in both directions. Things were looking up. Maybe a clogged filter? Or so I thought.

Then I noticed the fluid that came out of the filters was yellow and cloudy, so a fluid change was next.

Drained the transmission and hydraulic tank. Fluid was dark coming from the transmission and yellow and cloudy from the hydraulic tank.

pulled the magnetic plug from the transmission. Plug was covered in metal shavings and had a ball bearing attached to it.
(see attached photos) the fluid also had a silvery streak of fine metal on the top of it in my catch pan.

I did not refill they hydraulic fluid and try to run, no sense wasting 3 gallons of UDT.

Having a Beer trying to think what to do next.

Attachments

• CF039F92-74D5-409C-B2D1-E4C20FA48B86.jpeg
    CF039F92-74D5-409C-B2D1-E4C20FA48B86.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 21
  • F4DA70CF-28E7-48E0-9FD7-50C2CA4F7ECD.jpeg
    F4DA70CF-28E7-48E0-9FD7-50C2CA4F7ECD.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 8ED23D5B-2E68-4455-9CCE-DD220D8838C6.jpeg
    8ED23D5B-2E68-4455-9CCE-DD220D8838C6.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 077857C1-5CEB-4099-8F3C-9EFF3FE4882F.jpeg
    077857C1-5CEB-4099-8F3C-9EFF3FE4882F.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 20

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the ball bearing came out of the gear case???? or the tank??? yellow colored oil is most likely brass from the valve plates. ball bearing could be from the swash plate bearing but it wouldn't be on the gear case drain plug. what happened to recently serviced? sorry not pointing a finger at you! if the gear case isn't trashed the HST is pretty simple rebuild. i have read of others getting a reman transaxle unit and swap out. very sorry about your troubles.

Iron mike

Ball bearing came out of the gear case. It was on the magnetic plug along with a bunch of metal filling.

The recently serviced part has me slightly miffed at the moment. When I swapped my Willys for the Kubota in July I was shown recent service invoice, at 685 hours, unit had 689.5 when I got it home. i checked the dip sticks they had clear fluid on them, it was a dealers invoice so I didn’t think twice. Wasn’t reckoning of any service work till the spring.

way I reckon I have few options, 1: Take it to the local dealer have them deal with it, but that will be big $$$. 2. Buy a HST and Transmission rebuild kit and rebuild, with COVID I may have the time on my hands. 3: buy a used gear box and HST and swap it out, good luck finding a non trashed unit. 4: Trade it on on a compact tractor BX80 or B01. Also big $$$