Noisy transmission, bearings?

Mith

Within the last few months the tranny on my gear tractor has been getting noisier. Its too load to ignore now.
I flushed all the tranny out and put in new oil, if anything its now loader.
It 'moans' I guess it the best way to describe it, uphill, downhill, and to a lesser extent on the flat too.
It still pulls strong, and smoothly, however, it doesn't seem to be as free-rolling as it was. From memory it doesn't moan as much in neutral, but does a little.

Now, from the fact that it works ok in all gears gives me the impression that the gears are OK.
Maybe the bearings are on their way out? Something loose in the diff?

Any thoughts?
I'd like to have an idea of whats wrong before I tear it down, so I can get parts on the way. I use the tractor daily, so the less downtime the better.........

Cheers

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had em make noise and keep on running anyway. Loud noises are not a good sign. And getting even louder after changing the fluid is rather strange. Bearings seem like a good guess, but I wouldn't buy the replacement ones until you have her torn down. Just check on the availability first. :thumb:

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Any chance of finding a salvaged one? You then could replace and take the time to do a rebuild in your spare time.

Mith

Yea, Doc I was just going to check I could actually get them, before I tore it apart.
It seems to run fine, but if the bearings are gone, it wouldn't be long before something failed.

BD, I probably could find another one to put in temporarily, but I doubt I have the money for it. I know of a tractor for sale with the same gearbox, the temptation to buy it is there, but the cash isn't (but that doesn't usually stop me) :D