Off subject - Binoculars?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking about a new pair. General purpose for me so I'm
thinking a hunting version (waterproof and such) is my best bet. Size
wise, I want to be around 8x42.

Some that I'm considering.

If I go with a mid-grade pair, the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42 seems to be the best around - The reviews have been excellent. Price is very reasonable at about $300.

If I go with a high-end set, I'm leaning towards the Brunton Epoch
8.5x43. I've heard nothing but incredible reviews about these. I've
been looking at these closer as they seem to be comparable to the
Zeiss, Swarovski, Steiner and Leica, but I've been seeing them on sale and the others are demanding near retail prices..

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these 2 sets I'm considering? Any others you like, or don't?</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Steiner </p>

10x50 Military Marine & a smaller Merlin , 10x32 <<<<< love 'em glasses !!!</p>

They are crystal clear, and if I'm not mistaken, they have something like a 8-10 year warranty !!!</p>

They seem to draw more light in late, late evening than others I've used. </p>

</p>

Great place to price , Natchez Shooter Supplies >>>>> natchezss.com</p>

</p>

~~~~~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

bigdeer2000

SUPER Site Supporter
</p>

I have been very happy with swarovski el 10x42. had a pair of the sl's for 10 years or so, and when the el's came out i upgraded. also have the leica 8x25 pocket size for sporting events. Both are nice but probably not worth theadditional price when compared to nikon monarch. </p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info.</p>

I ordered a pair of the Nikon's last night. Not quite sure if I'll get the Brunton's. </p>

I'm eyeing up the Steiner 8x42 Peregrine. I'm thinking they're 1/2 way between 2-Guns big pair and small pair. Jamie - the 10x50 is a bit too big. I want my kids to be able to use them but afraid that with the 10-power, coupled with the weight of the binocs themselves will make the kids arms/hands shake too much and they won't be able to see anything.</p>

I did look at the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL's (as well as the higher-end Zeiss, Steiner, Leica...) but keep leaning back to the Bruntons. When you get into the $2000 range, it seems like there's no such thing as a bad pair. What's leaning me a lot towards the Bruntons is they've got some really sweet pricing on them right now. Instead of $2000, it looks like I can get them for about $1000 (or a little less).</p>

</p>

coobie

Brian,you hit the nail on the head with the Nikon Monarchs.I have the Monarchs in 10X42,IMHO they are the best binos out there for under $300 bucks.coobie</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear the review on the Monarch's. I know they're well respected as a rifle scope so I thought I was on the right track.</p>

As for the Brunton's or any other high-end binocs, they're probably on hold as I found a dog I'd rather spend my money on.</p>

</p>

doggman

I've never seen Zeiss on sale anywhere - and I keep my eye out for them. Cabela's excludes them when they have an optics sale. The best bet for the high end binocs is to look for a used pair at a yard or estate sale - maybe even eBay. Even the really old Zeiss have mind blowing optics. </p>

</p>