Plowing so far, 2008

river

Well, I have gotten around around 5 hours seat time plowing in the past couple weeks with an RTV 1100. I am happy to report that the heater will blow you out of the cab within 5 minutes. I have to almost turn it off after that amount of time, and that's in 0 to 10 degree weather, with significant winds. I am plowing some 5-6 inches at a time with a Blizzard 720LT fully hydraulic plow controlled by a joystick, installed cost around $3K. I have plowbanks around 4.5' to 5' high now. Can't make 'em any higher, just wider. I have worksite tires, which work just fine. Anyway, I'm just one happy camper! </p>

Merry Christmas to all here, and all your families. This is the best place on the web!</p>

Doug</p>

Deerlope

Don't you love it when a plan comes together. Its good that the 1100 is working for you. My Bota tractor cab heater is the same, after a few Igot my coat off and no gloves on.</p>

solitude

HiDoug
I was wonderin how the shifting works when plowing?I've
got an 1100and the heater and defroster do work great.
Thinkin of snow plow but that shifting makes me nervous.
Seems if rtv under strain hard to shift.And a MERRY CHRISTMASto all!!!Pat </p>

river

Shifting so far has been a two-handed affair, with some patience. It does seem to be getting just a bit easier, but not all the time. I do like the braking going downhill, so I'm not ready to cave in to a coast valve yet. The usual routine when plowing is push into the plowbank raising the plow as you go until it stops moving forward. Then left foot on brake, right hand on pressure relief knob, and left hand moving the shift. With this heavy snow, I'm staying in low range. I've developed a routine that keeps me from having to shift while in the traffic lane on my highway, so I don't have to get nervous. Everyone's situation is different.</p>

I have my first report on fuel economy today. My gas gauge (RTV 1100) was just at the top of the red.I put exactly 5 gallons from a can, and the gauge read topped out just like I got it from the dealer. The fuel level in the tank was right at the bottom of the filler pipe. That works out to just 10 hours for that 5 gallons, and more than half of that was plowing. Some was running flat out down the highway, so overall I'd say 2 hours per gallon with the 1100. I've heard 2.5 hours per gallon on the 900, so that sounds about right - bigger engine, heavier vehicle, etc. But I can't say enough about its plowing ability. My plow banks are still only 5' high, but are now around 15 to 20' wide at the base. If the plow raised higher, I could pile it higher :)</p>

Doug</p>

solitude

Hi Doug
Thanx for info on shifting with plow.I had a feelin it would be tough.
And getting in and out of 4 wheelcan be a adventure too.So I think I will hold off on plow.
I got 20 hrs on tank of fuel on900 about 12 on 1100.Worth the difference though can't beat cab and heater on the 1100!
Coast valve, with it just like auto trans it stills brakes but not as bad.
Get it it's well worth it makes it a pleaure to drive.I've had one on 900 and 1100 it works great but doesn't help shift problem .
Thanx
Pat</p>

solitude

Oh yea Doug
On my 900I moved the trans dump cable over by emergency brake.
Made it so I could pull cable andshift at same time made it easier.I wanted to put it on left side of steering wheel but cable not long enough.That cable should be on left anyhow. Pat</p>

river

I haven't taken the 1100 out of 4WD for a month. First the grassy hills were slippery, and then the snows came. Don't usually have to use the diff lock except when pushing into a snowpile, and just once when I almost didn't make it back up a hill that I had plowed going down. Had to back up, lock the diff, and get a running start.... I was starting to have visions of getting out the come-a-long.</p>

Moving the pressure release cable to the left side is a great idea. I'll get out the shop manual and see where I can put it. </p>

Seems like folks on this forum are always thinking "outside the box".</p>

Happy New Year to all.</p>

Doug</p>

Brian Bolger

Site Supporter
Kubota should have made the release so it was controlled by a solenoid switch and a button on top of the shifter to activate. I was also thinking of hooking mine to the brake pedal, but that was just a dream. Solenoid swith would be the best.</p>