Rattle from dump bed

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I am both amused …and irritated….at the rattle that comes from the dump bed…mostly noticeable at idle/rest.

It seems a major cause of this rattle is the side-panel-inserts on the sides of the dump bed. They are inserted/retained by grooves within the upper edge and ends of the side-walls. They can be silenced several ways…. use foam pressed into the grooves….or pre-load the panels with foam behind them…. or REMOVE the inserts completely.

ItBmine

Most of my rattles were from the tailgate latches. I ended up putting a couple wraps of electrical tape on the pins and they are still nice and quiet.

Sometimes I also have to push the dump box lever to the lower position just to pull the bed down tighter to the frame.

Reactions: Doc

TechJunkie

I am both amused …and irritated….at the rattle that comes from the dump bed…mostly noticeable at idle/rest.

It seems a major cause of this rattle is the side-panel-inserts on the sides of the dump bed. They are inserted/retained by grooves within the upper edge and ends of the side-walls. They can be silenced several ways…. use foam pressed into the grooves….or pre-load the panels with foam behind them…. or REMOVE the inserts completely.
My X1140 bed likes to rattle at times. Yes, the inserts have too. I have mostly worked those rattles out but something else starts to rattle. I drive it and then the rattle stops until I raise and lower the bed and it seems to start again. If I lower the tailgate the rattles mostly stop. The tape ItBmine mentioned may be something I will try. Love the machine but the bed rattle can be a little annoying at times.

ItBmine

A member here (sorry can't remember who so I can give credit) mentioned using rubber hose to put on the tailgate pins, but I couldn't find any that would work. My bedliner material is sprayed on pretty thick. And I didn't want to grind anything off.
So I tried a couple wraps of electrical tape and it surprisingly lasts a while. I use mine as a dump truck quite a bit and I've only had to re-wrap the tape once so far.

Semper-Fi

A member here (sorry can't remember who so I can give credit) mentioned using rubber hose to put on the tailgate pins, but I couldn't find any that would work. My bedliner material is sprayed on pretty thick. And I didn't want to grind anything off.
So I tried a couple wraps of electrical tape and it surprisingly lasts a while. I use mine as a dump truck quite a bit and I've only had to re-wrap the tape once so far.
Wonder if you slipped the correct dia of electrical "shrink tube" over the tailgate pins cut to size & heat up.

ItBmine

I had thought about shrink tube, would probably work too. But I just went with the tape because it was just an easy quick fix.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
I put a piece of 1/2 conduit on the latching pin and very slightly bent each pin for 0/zero latching clearance.
This is just cold rolled steel and it worked like a champ.
For the side panel inserts, I removed the panels and put a strip of self adhesive weather stripping down
the full length of the panel on the backside & reinstalled, worked like a champ. I used 1/2 wide by 3/16 thick tape.
Provides plenty of preload on the panel and no more rattle/resonation.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I started a thread on this subject a few months ago. I use some heat shrink tubing and it has worked really well.