Reduction gearbox getting hot

Westfield

Snowblower for a x 1100 C gearbox is overheating.
When I shut the machine down last night I noticed that the reduction box was very hot. Once it cool down I checked the oil it was fine. I know pretty much about gearboxes but not so much of a reduction boxes. I do not see anywhere in the drawing that would cause this to heat up. Anybody have any ideas?

Attachments

• 20210205_124534.jpg
    20210205_124534.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210205_124142.jpg
    20210205_124142.jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 7

Westfield

how hot is very hot? do you have an infra red thermometer?
I do not own an infrared thermometer if you think it will help troubleshoot I will go buy one. On the parts drawing I have a red line drawn where I touch the casing and after a Few seconds I have to pull my hand away. And that is right where the cone bearing sets. I read an article if you do not have the cone bearing adjusted properly it will cause pressure to the ball bearings which will create friction. If I would have done better planning I could have just taken it to the dealership but I cannot get my trailer out of the snow. If I just do my driveway which is about 600 foot the area is just warm. But when I do all my Trails, my Access Road that's when it starts getting hot. I would not have even noticed it if it weren't for no snow on reduction box that's when I felt the Heat. I am thinking after the snow blower breaks in a little bit the heat may dissipate it only has about 6 hours on the snowblower. They call for high pressure Lube in a reduction box so it must be getting some type of pressure in there. I don't understand how there could be friction build up one side of the reduction box is connected by the K connect with a Lovejoy type of coupling and the snow blades are driven by a worm gear. All I can think of is all the heavy wet snow we had this year together with a 66 inch snow blower that could be the friction problem right there. Thanks for the help!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have gearboxes with thousands of hours on them that get hot enough that you don't want to hold your hand on them. but not so hot that you will blister from touching them. a thermometer is pretty cheap. if it were my machine i would change the oil in the box to a really good synthetic of the type that kubota recommends. do the require gear oil with ep or do they use udt in the box. if concerned with warranty then at least get some kubota oil from the dealer.

Westfield

i have gearboxes with thousands of hours on them that get hot enough that you don't want to hold your hand on them. but not so hot that you will blister from touching them. a thermometer is pretty cheap. if it were my machine i would change the oil in the box to a really good synthetic of the type that kubota recommends. do the require gear oil with ep or do they use udt in the box. if concerned with warranty then at least get some kubota oil from the dealer.
My oil is AGMA 5EP extreme pressure oil. I will give that a try new oil and putting a filter when I drain the oil so I can see if It leaves any metal particles are in there. After reading what you had to say I'm beginning to think that this is normal because it will not burn my hand. Next time I feel like taking a Joyride I will stop at Kubota and get my oil. Thanks again aurthuritis

Westfield

Well today I found out why my gearbox was getting so hot. I had the hand throttle wide open when I was snow-blowing. Today I thought I would try it about a quarter throttle well that was the problem I didn't need all that throttle turning all the drive components that fast. My snowblower actually blows snow with the hand throttle all the way off. It was nice and cool when I felt it. I think at higher RPM would be for a broom attachment or real wet snow.

Reactions: Doc