RTV 900 2008 model ...quit running and wont start

banjo

We had a pretty good storm here in north Mississippi a week or so ago and I decided it would be good to check out the trails and see if I had any timber down...I had a 2 foot red oak blow over in the back yard .... so I thought I should see if we had any other damage. Got about half way through the inspection and the RTV just quit. Like you had turned off the key almost. It would not start back. I manually raised the bed and checked everything I could think of...but it was getting late so I went to my oldest sons house .... got him and got the tracdtor and pulled the RTV to the house.....got it in the garage where I had tools and lights. Then I got on the forum here and from what I read .... it sounded like the fuel pump.... I saw where others had installed an electric and had good success..so I ordered one and put it on today. It still wont start. I have fuel coming out of the banjo nut....(imagine that) I go by banjo on here. It pushes fuel to the first injector ......also to the last injector and back to the tank..... Have all my injectors went kaput at the same time or what it the consensus from the expects?." I have stuck a paper clip in the safety lock out ..... did not make a difference ....I did not think it would ...since it was running fine until it just died in the woods. If anyone has an idea to check....I would be gratful.....Banjo

banjo

Yes the starter works.....it sends fuel to the injectors and alll the way back to the return line to the tank...lots of fuel...... I put an electric fuel pump on it. When you open the lines to the injectors ....not much comes out. I am kinda perplexed Tim

banjo

I need to clarify something. When I said it sent fuel to the infectors, that may have been incorrect. The fuel line from the fuel pump connects to a fitting that has some small rubber lines. They are connected to a T .... one goes to the injector pump, and there is fuel going to it, as I just took that line off and let the fuel pump send fuel through those lines. The other end of the small rubber line goes to the injector closest to the cab...there is fuel there...then they are all connected with a line coming from the last injector closest to the rear of the machine.....going back to the tank....return line I suppose....there is fuel coming out of the last one as well. BUT when you loosen the nuts from the metal lines coming from the injector pump to the injectors ....you get a few bubbles is about all....no squirt of fuel like I have seen when bleeding a diesel before. Also keep in mind this machine just stopped as I was going down a trail....had just about a full tank of fuel. What could have caused it to just die while going down a trail.
Is the injection pump suspect. I really thought that the electric pump would fix it....but no success so far.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is the fuel filter between the injector pump and the engine? Just wondering if that got clogged.

banjo

Yes it is, but I have good fuel flow out of the filter. When I open the banjo nut where the fuel line connects to the injunction pump I get lots of fuel with the new electric fuel pump. Also when you try to start it. the fuel shut off solenoid pulls in....then after you turn the key off in about 5 seconds or so it pops back out. Im beginning to think my injection pump has went out. By it just dying suddenly on the trail I'm thinking I have a major problem. Banjo

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I never had this happen. You fueled it up yourself right ? Just making sure no gasoline was involved. You don't see any sticks ( from the trail maybe knocking something loose ? (hopefully that easy) I wish I could help but am stumped as well.

banjo

Yes I fueled it up myself out of my bulk tank out at the saw mill. The bulk tank has two filters on it. One for particles and one for water...the fuel is clean. I had to put an injection pump on a 99 Dodge ram 3500 a couple of years ago that did basically the same thing. I was pulling a trailer....happened to be empty at the time ....crossed a 4 lane highway and the truck just died. Wasn't too far from home... just got the tractor and pulled it back to the house. Had to replace injection pump and its working fine now.....I see a place on ebay where you can send in your injection pump and get it rebuilt for $365.00..... If someone don't come up with something, I may have to try that. When I try to bleed the injectors all I get is a small amount of bubbles. Thanks for reading. Banjo
take the shut off solenoid and operate the lever by hand. see if it will start? could be the solenoid isn't getting full travel
Will do. Thanks Banjo

banjo

aurthurtis, I did as you suggested. I even cut the little wires and backed the screws off so it could get more travel....still nothing. I looked at the schematic on Messick's site, and cant help but wonder if something broke off on the shut down plate down inside.....( I believe thats what its called) I cant tell if that solenoid supply valve is separate from the injection pump or if its all connected. If any one out there knows ....please tell me. I have had this machine since it was new, but I'm thinking if i get it going .....Im going to trade up. I have a lot of diesel equipment, but this has me at my wits end. I don't mind buying needed parts, but I dont' want to buy something that I don't need. I do think the electric fuel pump is an upgrade.....as I was just getting a very small amount of fuel out of the mechanical device.....the electric fuel pump is pushing much more fuel. Probably should have done that upgrade several years ago.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Banjo, The following link is an old post showing pictures of the stop solenoid on my RTV back then. Since you've heard that click a few seconds after turning the key off, I was wondering if maybe, possibly , the solenoid just needed adjusting . Those slotted oval bolt openings on it might be a tiny bit out of adjustment. That's just hoping though. What I wonder is this.... If you carefully detach the solenoid lever and manually push it to the start position .. would it start? Doubtful but maybe worth a try. It sounds like you have the cargo bed up so wish you the best with this. https://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/threads/stop-solenoid-replacement.14088/

Reactions: Doc

banjo

I took the stop solenoid off and it is working. Hooked a hot wire to the terminal and grounded the base and she pulls in hard, but there was a little slop in it, so I ordered and after market one to go on it. I wired the lever that the solonid pulls back and it still wont crank. I also took the injector pump off and will get it rebuilt when I get a chance. Wife has the car at here folks right now and I don't want to drive my old pickup 40 miles to drop it off at the shop. With the injector pump out you can see how the shut off works. There is a little slide on the side of the injector pump and when you engage the starter a little know in there moves the little slide. It (the slide on the injector pump) seems to move almost too easily. I'll leave that diagnosis to the professionals. Person I talked to at Muscle Shoals diesel service said it would be $200.00 labor + parts. I know they will do it right. I got scared of sending it to somewhere on ebay for a fixed price. In my mind they might be inclined to let something go that needs replaced if it was going to cost them a few bucks....He said he had rebuilt them before and they usually ran 3 to 4 hundred dollars, but could be quite a bit more....just according to what is wrong. I'll let you know how things turn out, but it will probably be a while. Thanks Banjo

banjo

I dropped off the injection pump this afternoon. It will be Wednesday before they can get to it. The pump in the video aurthuritis posted is similar, but not quite the same. It looked like they knew what they were doing. I have learned there are some things I just shouldn't do. I rebuilt a turbocharger on the sawmill once....it lasted about 3 or 4 days. I didn't try again. Bought one from G Pop Shop and went back to work. Banjo

Last edited:

banjo

Just got word back from the rebuild shop. He said the problem was caused by sever fuel contamination. I guess the nasty fuel got in the tank before I started fueling out of my double filtered bulk tank. Anyway its gona cost $369.00 to get it rebuilt...gona take a week or so to get the parts in to do it. Question: Has anyone added a water separator filter to these units? And if so where did you get it. Im thinking about adding one if I can find one small enough. Also would like to relocate the factory one, as its a major pain to change....Just not a lot of extra space under the bed for such stuff. Im already gona have to find a place to put the electric fuel pump. Any help on any of these questions would be appreciated. Banjo

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'd be sure to clean the RTV's really good . I 'd even consider making sure the hoses are good and clean in case there is any other stuff that has got trapped in there. There should be a filter available for your bulk tank that will filter out water- not all do though some just get out the particles. We have several filters on our bulk tank. One small , to catch the big stuff before it reaches the expensive larger Donaldson filters. I also have a cover out of pvc tube and cap to keep bugs and rain out of the nozzle.
There is a thread on here about filters for the RTV and how it's gravity fed to the filter but I don't remember much else. Room is a limiting factor for sure though. Some members love the "Mr. Funnel" - also it supposedly collects the water but is something to have to keep up with. https://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

banjo

The bulk tank at the mill and the one on the truck both have 2 filters...one for particles and the other is a water block. But I bought this rtv new and it could have accumulated some nasty stuff in the tank before I started filling with the bulk tanks. Any way I think I can mount a filter I found on ebay beside the air filter on the outside of the frame. It would be easy to service from there and protected pretty good as well. I will probably drain the tank and blow it out as best as I can before installing the rebuilt injection pump. I can always use the diesel in the drip system I put on the blades of the sawmill when cutting pine. Banjo

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Banjo, I don't know how I lost the word tank after " RTV's" but I meant to say " clean RTV's tank really good. I'm so sorry about that- I'll blame it on this awful heat going on this week. It sounds like you have a good plan though good luck. :tiphat: collie

banjo

I got my injector pump back from the Muscle Shoals Diesel service and have got it running. I have a very small leak where I took off something that I should not have when I was trying to diagnose the problem. I have a gasket coming to hopefully fix that. Gona put some high temp gasket material on top and bottom of it . Its the piece next to the injector pump that the shut off device is connected to....I should not have removed it, but was grasping at straws. I cleaned out the tank as best as I could and made pictures with my phone, but the site wont let me get on with my phone....says I have wrong password. I checked that and I don't think that's correct. I got most of the fuel out of the tank then took a syphion hose and stuck it in there with the exit hose of a shop vac at the same time.....stuffed and old shirt around the fill hole...not too tight. I blowed some trash out of the syphon hose .... moved it around as i was blowing into the tank with the vacum....Wish I could post the pictures and a short video, but I don't know how from this pc. I also put in a new starter and a new cut off valve along with an electric fuel pump. I have and aux. fuel filter coming as well....hope its not too much trouble to hook up. Banjo