RTV 900 Head Gasket

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The 900 & 1100 have two different engines.

900 has 21.6 HP
1100 has 24.8

This might be where it might be a difference ....

......... two guns

banjo

In continuing documentation of the head gasket replacement, I thought some photos of my disassembled head might be useful to someone in the future. So, here they are attached. Now, here is another goofy wheezer question for y'all -- how clean is clean enough for the head to go back in place? Should I scrape, rub, sand, polish or what? I believe I have taken off all I can already in the photos you see unless I use some solvent or something on the mating surfaces. Let's here some opining on extent of cleanliness that is necessary.
If anyone sees this, why did you take the injectors out if they came out with the head? I have an overheating problem due to a leaking hose loosing the coolant before i noticed it. At best i have a blown head gasket...possibly much worse....its still running just putting exhaust into the radiator when you take the cap off.

banjo

Thanks....I am pretty greasy right now. Thats what the manual said do...I was just reading a prior post, then seen he had removed the injectors. I sure dont want to do anything I dont have to. Banjo

banjo

Usually the head will crack so be prepared to have it checked. It's a good idea to pull the injectors.
You were right. I finally found a local shop that magnafluxed it and it had 2 small cracks. Nice guy, didn't even charge to do it. I ordered another head already...should be here in a few days. I hope all is still ok down deep in the block....rod bearings etc. Will change the oil before start up. Banjo

banjo

Thanks for the follow up. As you said the top of the pistons look fine and the cylinder walls are not scored.. on the two I can see. Piston is at the top of the first cylinder, but I imagine it is as the rest....I have always got good advice here when I have had trouble before. Good to see some names I recognize still on this site. This is still my first rtv. I have replaced several u joints and a front cv on it but it still gets me to the saw mill and back....I miss it when its not running. Good to see you and Collie still here. Banjo

Banjo,where did you order your parts from? I have a 2011 900xt thats loosing anti freeze and may need a head gasket,Kubota wants over a 100.00 dollars! you can get them from amazon for 40.00 dollars! anybody out there tryed aftermarket head gasket with good results? If so who?

banjo

I ordered the head and a gasket set from ebay....cant recommend it till I know its ok. Yours is newer than mine. Mine has the old D902 engine in it. I could have gotten just a head gasket for around $20.00 for it....aftermarket of coarse. Where is your anti freeze going, if I may ask? Banjo

banjo

I got the new head and gasket set in... started changing all the parts over to the new head....hit a snag. The old head had a sending unit in it and there is some sort of plug in the new head and I cant figure out how to get it out. I didn't have an ease out that would work, I'm thinking maybe some left hand drill bits or just drill it out with the drill press and re thread it.... Banjo

rbarger

I got the new head and gasket set in... started changing all the parts over to the new head....hit a snag. The old head had a sending unit in it and there is some sort of plug in the new head and I cant figure out how to get it out. I didn't have an ease out that would work, I'm thinking maybe some left hand drill bits or just drill it out with the drill press and re thread it.... Banjo
A picture of that plug would help.

banjo

Ok. First picture is how it came out of the box….in close up I’ve tried to get it out .

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

banjo

Easy to see there is some sort of insert there. Here is a photo of the sending unit that needs to go in that spot in the old head and an individual picture of it. Banjo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

banjo

My son has a set of snap on screw extractors that he let me borrow. One of them gets a good bite, but I’m a little Leary of putting more pressure on it than I all ready have. I’ve put a few drops of a penetrating oil around the side….gona let it set a little before I put any more pressure on it. Banjo

v10rick

Site Supporter
My son has a set of snap on screw extractors that he let me borrow. One of them gets a good bite, but I’m a little Leary of putting more pressure on it than I all ready have. I’ve put a few drops of a penetrating oil around the side….gona let it set a little before I put any more pressure on it. Banjo
My new OEM head arrived with the same insert and it was a challenge to remove.
Penetrating oil and extractor was the solution.

banjo

That’s what I’m working on right now. I found a picture of an after market on eBay that I wish I had bought….insert is an Allen head plug…..hindsight might help someone else. You can see this raised plug…. There is no reason for it to be milled smooth like the one I bought. So if anyone else is doing this check for a raised plug. Banjo

Attachments

• IMG_0357.png
    IMG_0357.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

banjo

I’m wondering if it would be ok to drill through the bottom of that plug with a drill bit. Really don’t want to as that will put metal shavings in my water jacket with no real good way to get them out. Gona have todo something. Banjo

rbarger

Success ….. but spend a little extra and get one with a raised plug. Banjo
Glad you got it out. I replaced the head on a 2005 900 I had a while back and the one I bought had the raised plug on it. It would have been bad to damage a head that cost as much as they do.