RTV Daily uses, What did you do today with your RTV?

Tinsnip

Not much of a traditional winter here in Maine (so far). Lots of wind though and the coastal areas are suffering. I’ve only plowed once and that was only a few inches. I’m still getting used to the Boss V-Plow and the x1100c (which I’ve named “Little Joe”, don’t ask me why). But this light bar was a great add since this time of year it’s still pitch dark early when I want to clear the driveway. The pic is for interest (sorry if it’s a repeat). Happy New Year!

Attachments

• IMG_2225.jpeg
    IMG_2225.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I gelled up the diesel fuel and had to leave it down in one of my fields.....Not the best ending to a leisurely drive through my snow filled fields and woods.....
How cold was it? I've never had a gelling problem - 0 F today and no problem with mine - been even colder in the past with no problem. Might be that I purchase my fuel in late fall so that the I get the winter blends?? Sorry for your problem - hope the warmer weather coming up will allow you to retrieve it!

tfdr1

How cold was it? I've never had a gelling problem - 0 F today and no problem with mine - been even colder in the past with no problem. Might be that I purchase my fuel in late fall so that the I get the winter blends?? Sorry for your problem - hope the warmer weather coming up will allow you to retrieve it!

I think maybe he's located in an area that doesn't typically see freezing temps so their fuel isn't treated/blended for the cold.

I've been seeing it on a bunch of the GM/Chevy Duramax groups with guys wondering why their truck ran for 5 minutes then died and can't get it started again or their fuel pump is squealing like a stick pig.

Dave

Smilingreen

I think maybe he's located in an area that doesn't typically see freezing temps so their fuel isn't treated/blended for the cold.

I've been seeing it on a bunch of the GM/Chevy Duramax groups with guys wondering why their truck ran for 5 minutes then died and can't get it started again or their fuel pump is squealing like a stick pig.

Dave
It had gotten to -10F on Tuesday night. The 1100 is parked under a carport, on concrete, that acts like a wind tunnel. It never got above 22F yesterday.

Yeah, we normally don't get cold weather in Tennessee. Most winters, we might get a one or two inch wet snow fall overnight, but by the next afternoon, it is 55 F out and all of the snow has melted.

This snowstorm/Arctic weather snap kind of hit us by surprise. Sunday was clear and in the 30's. Monday, we were only supposed to get maybe an inch of snow and the temps in the teens for a high. GOt up to go to work Monday morning and we already had 4" on the ground and it was coming down hard. We ended up with 9" of dry snow and that is when the temp started plummeting. Tuesday night, temps went to -10F. Never even gave a second thought about treating the diesel fuel, because it ran so well all day Monday in the snow storm. I put some Diesel Service 911 in it tonight, did the usual shake, glowplug, crank routine and finally got it started after about 10 minutes.

tfdr1

It had gotten to -10F on Tuesday night. The 1100 is parked under a carport, on concrete, that acts like a wind tunnel. It never got above 22F yesterday.

Yeah, we normally don't get cold weather in Tennessee. Most winters, we might get a one or two inch wet snow fall overnight, but by the next afternoon, it is 55 F out and all of the snow has melted.

This snowstorm/Arctic weather snap kind of hit us by surprise. Sunday was clear and in the 30's. Monday, we were only supposed to get maybe an inch of snow and the temps in the teens for a high. GOt up to go to work Monday morning and we already had 4" on the ground and it was coming down hard. We ended up with 9" of dry snow and that is when the temp started plummeting. Tuesday night, temps went to -10F. Never even gave a second thought about treating the diesel fuel, because it ran so well all day Monday in the snow storm. I put some Diesel Service 911 in it tonight, did the usual shake, glowplug, crank routine and finally got it started after about 10 minutes.

If your cold weather is going to continue you should put some gelling preventative in because the Diesel 911 is only to thaw you out not prevent more gelling.

Dave

Smilingreen

If your cold weather is going to continue you should put some gelling preventative in because the Diesel 911 is only to thaw you out not prevent more gelling.

Dave
Tonight we are getting freezing rain and snow. I'll see what the roads are like tomorrow, I may sneak into town and get a bottle or two. Probably won't need it the rest of winter. It is supposed to be 60F by next week.

Smilingreen

Yep, the 911 got it going, I went into town yesterday, picked 5 gal. of fresh diesel, couple of bottles of Power Service anti-gel & cetane boost, mixed 1/2 a small bottle with the 5 gallons of fresh diesel. She started right up and I dove it around for an hour to ensure everything was well mixed. Hopefully, that is the last time that happens.