RTV Engine Oil Color

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
This may be a diesel question rather than just RTV.

I noticed that the engine oil in my 1120D turned black not long after changing. In my gasoline vehicles, the oil stays like honey until it has many hours on it. I just wanted to know if this is normal. If this happened in a gas engine so quickly, I would assume it needs a flush and maybe has some sludge.

Last edited:

v10rick

Site Supporter
Normal

The same happens with my Kubota BX2350 tractor, with the same series engine as the RTV.
The tractor I purchased new in 2009 so it's not from poor maintenance.

But the Cummins turbo diesel engine oil, in my 2008 BX1000XL chipper, does not change color, even after 50 hours.
?

10-e-c-dirt

I've got 2 x900's, the newest is coming up for the 1st 50 hr oil change. The oil the oil on both RTV's turned black super fast. I have/had several diesels, and the X900's turn black faster than any of them. I've got a CaseIH with the 6 cyl Alliance engine, (Cummins B), with 4K+ hours the oil cleaner looking @ 200hrs than the RTV's are @ 50hrs. So I guess its OK, but I still wonder WHY!!:confused2:

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The reason oil turns black is because it is DOING ITS’ JOB…. It has detergent/dispersant additives which clean the engine and as combustion by-products blow past rings those byproducts are scavenged and held in-suspension….and drain out with the next oil change. Larger particles are caught by the filters.

Some engines run cleaner due to different piston/ring designs and the actual Number of rings. (Some pistons have 3 while others have 4 and some have as many as 5. I’ve never seen any but I’m told there are even some industrial engines which use SIX rings.

Also, some engines have centrifugal filtration systems which will remove soot from oil more effectively….which may be why your Cummins seems cleaner…. the oil is being cleaned more effectively.

But black oil consists of soot which is so small that it becomes meaningless….usually smaller than 5 microns.

10-e-c-dirt

I apologize, I made a mistake, I was going from memory, and it aint to good sometimes. I called the engine in my tractor an Alliance engine, Its a Consolidated Diesel engine. A 50/50 between CaseIH and Cummins in NC, and it is no more, defunct in 2008. Alliance Diesel is machine shop/supplier of diesel rebuild kits and engines also in NC.
Thanks You GeoHorn for the info. I know more than I did yesterday :)

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Yep… in fact…if your engine oil goes a loong-time without getting dirty…. it’s NOT doing its’ job. The BEST oils pick up the dirt very quickly.