rtv-x900 hyd change

I have an rtv x900 and changing out the hyd. fluid and filters, yes all Kubota stuff. Since we have a dipstick for the trans. and one for the hyd. tank how much goes where? I know the capacity is 2.6 gals. but where does it ever state the trans holds this amount and the hyd. tank holds this much? I'm pretty sure I checked at 1 1/2 gal, talking with a neighbor, and it did not register on the stick for the trans. When I put the rest of the two gals. in now it's about 1 inch over full on the trans stick. Then I put the third gal. in the hyd tank and it's still not full??? I'm guessing I need to drain some out and get the level down on the trans. but it will drain the tank also. What am I not seeing clearly?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i would just use a clean syringe to remove oil from one compartment and add it to the other until the dipstick reads true. don't drop anything into the transmission though so be careful.

Thanks for the reply. I thought maybe someone might know how much goes in just the trans. I should not have even posted, but mad I messed up and mad Kubota doesn't give you an idea of capacities for the trans. and hyd tank individually. Kubota just states 2.6 gal. for everything. Plus a few too many beers, sorry.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
no need to be sorry. i agree that the kubota literature sure needs a better translation. the wsm is an enigma

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
There it is listed on pg 45 of your Owners Manual:

Attachments

• B9290D24-A821-42B9-AC85-1627BD7EF655.png
    B9290D24-A821-42B9-AC85-1627BD7EF655.png
    924 KB · Views: 21
Good find, Geo, I had looked through the owners and service manual both and did not see that. It does define the trans. quantity right but 19 qts. for the hyd tank we all know is not right unless some models have a bigger tank. So if the total is 2.6 gal. that leaves .8 gal for the hyd tank. Now I have nobody to blame but myself and I was a flat rate mechanic for a Ford dealership for many years and should have known better. I also should have paid more attention when adding the fluid instead of talking. Thanks for the feedback.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I’m not following you splitlogger… 19 qts in the hyd tank is about 2.6 gallons….. then the transmission requires another 1.8 gals….. so the total requirement is almost 4.5 gals.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
Geohorn, 19 qts is 4.75 gallons, not 2.6 gallons. You really need 7 gallons available for maintenance purposes.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Geohorn, 19 qts is 4.75 gallons, not 2.6 gallons. You really need 7 gallons available for maintenance purposes.
I knew that…and actually calculated that… and can still see that I even wrote that on my scratch-pad. I have no idea how I seque’d into 2.6. o_O
(And I haven’t had a drink in 4 days….). :ROFLMAO:

Maybe this is the difference. As far as I know, my 2014 x900 does not have an aux tank. I'm still new to this machine so like I said before maybe I'm missing something?

This is from Messick's site for rtv900
Changing Hydraulic Auxiliary Tank Oil
For model equipped with hydraulic utility valve
Oil capacity: 18 quarts