RTV900 Crankshaft Seal

v10rick

Site Supporter
Hi All
Back in 2019 I posted about this same issue. To fix I replaced the crankshaft seal and PCV vent with OEM parts.
Two years later the drips on the garage floor started again and are becoming more noticeable.

Seems that if the engine oil level is maintained between the two holes on the dipstick the drips are minimal, compared to full.

Normally with beater equipment like this RTV I am not too picky.
But my 2010 BX tractor, with the similar engine, does not drip oil.

Should I be looking for a different seal to replace the Kubota part?

Aside from this it performed flawlessly this spring hauling logs to my neighbors burn pile.

Bigorangething

I am guessing that you have a leak at the crank seal? I had a similar issue on my 1100. Replaced the seal and less than 100 hours later it was leaking. After some help from Messicks, we found TWO serial number breaks on the engine with a different bushing. The correct one is about 1mm thinner than the first one installed. The thicker one was just think enough to crush the O ring and cause a leak.

The bushing is part 150 in the picture:
1654255369622.png

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I am guessing that you have a leak at the crank seal? I had a similar issue on my 1100. Replaced the seal and less than 100 hours later it was leaking. After some help from Messicks, we found TWO serial number breaks on the engine with a different bushing. The correct one is about 1mm thinner than the first one installed. The thicker one was just think enough to crush the O ring and cause a leak.

The bushing is part 150 in the picture:
View attachment 13999
People complain about the cost of shipping when buying from Messicks….so many of them use Messicks website to find parts info …they buy from someone else to save that shipping….then find they need troubleshooting help…so call Messicks …who always helps them solve the problem.
This has been my experience also. But after the last call for help and talking to Doug, Svc Mgr at Messicks…who quickly advised me on how to solve the problem….. I’ve decided to give them the “Full Monty” and get parts from them and pay the shipping (or in one case, talked them into just mailing it USPS Priority Mail for $9.)

Yay, Messicks!

v10rick

Site Supporter
People complain about the cost of shipping when buying from Messicks….so many of them use Messicks website to find parts info …they buy from someone else to save that shipping….then find they need troubleshooting help…so call Messicks …who always helps them solve the problem.
This has been my experience also. But after the last call for help and talking to Doug, Svc Mgr at Messicks…who quickly advised me on how to solve the problem….. I’ve decided to give them the “Full Monty” and get parts from them and pay the shipping (or in one case, talked them into just mailing it USPS Priority Mail for $9.)

Yay, Messicks!
I agree.
My local Kubota dealer is the last resort.
They are now charging shipping for parts that are not in stock.

I received an over the counter quote for a battery, but when the battery arrived the price was 20% higher.
Too bad, the price went up, it is what it is.

Bigorangething

I agree. My local Kubota dealer is the last resort. They are now charging shipping for parts that are not in stock. I received an over the counter quote for a battery, but when the battery arrived the price was 20% higher. Too bad, the price went up, it is what it is.
Kubota owns the inventory but lets dealers set the price, within reason. For fluids, my "local" (they are 60 miles away) dealer is the same price as Messicks. For parts they are a little bit less, I usually get filters and fluids from them. When it comes to any service part Messicks is the way to go. I have spent 25 years in retail, long enough that customers who chose the cheaper guy have started to come back and tell me how they should have listened...
Messick is without question the most knowlegeable dealer that I have found. The little bit more that the charge for parts is worth it.
When you get to fixing the seal, make sure that you call Messicks with engine and machine serial numbers, the correct bushing wasn't listed on their parts page on the website.

Good luck.