RTV900 Motor Oil Recommended

Peter James

I live in New Hampshire. It gets cold here, not like Northern Canada or Alaska ( I spent 2 years in Alaska's interior and have seen -65º) but down to -20º from time to time. That said, I would not try to start my RTV900 much below +10º. This is a 2010 machine I just purchased and it has marked on the exhaust shield 3½ qts 15w-40. I can't find that oil listed, only 10w30 or 10w40. What do other people use? Rotella T 15w-40? Something from Kubota?
Peter

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I live in central Mississippi and used John Deere Plus II, 15w40 in my 2005 and then in my 2011/12 RTV 900 . I used that because we keep it by the buckets for the 3 farm tractors we have. I've heard good things about Rotella also. I almost put a block heater in it but never got around to it on the latest model, Have it on a shelf still. It just so seldom got terribly cold here.. We thought we were dying when it was in the teens for highs for a few times. ;)
I only used Kubota SUDT2 transmission oil. I'd never use anything else in the transmission other than that along with oem filters. I understand that it is good for cold weather and is synthetic.

Reactions: Doc

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
there is a link provided in the sticky section for free owners manual. get the appropriate manual and look at the oil recommendations by temperature. then get a diesel engine oil in that viscosity range.

Peter James

I downloaded the "free" manual. It is for the later "X" version, but I would assume that it is the same. I may spring for a correct one at the local dealers.

Oil is a touchy subject. I use Rotella T6 5w40 in the winter and T6 15w40 Spring thru Fall in all my Diesels (RTV, JD 4310, F-250 7.3ltr). T6 is full synthetic readily available @ Advance Auto, Auto Zone or everyone's favorite - Walmart. Never had starting or excess wear issues that I'm aware of.

I live in North West NJ. Current price is approx. $22/gal. When 1st released the MSRP was $29/gal. and very limited availability. Made for an expensive oil change on my 7.3ltr.

Ok that's my opinion and experience. This is not meant to start yet another Oil thread.

Iron mike

Not to hijack the thread, but to add a question. Is it necessary to use diesel specific motor oil or standard full synthetic oil will do?

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Not to hijack the thread, but to add a question. Is it necessary to use diesel specific motor oil or standard full synthetic oil will do?
You want to use diesel specific oil....the current specification is CK4. Check your Owner’s Manual.