starting the kubota 1100 in cold weather

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had to run my AIR CONDITINER yesterday:pat::drink::sorry:
I hope to hell you were in your truck. Where else in the CONUS would you need that? Snowing here now with high winds and high humidity. A crappy day to spend outside.

foxalaska

I had to run my AIR CONDITINER yesterday:pat::drink::sorry:

Ok, now the gloves come off. You, of all people, know better than mess with old farts. Especially old farts with frosty butts. Makes us cranky. Gonna throw that door wide open, the hell with the collateral damage. :boxing:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Ok, now the gloves come off. You, of all people, know better than mess with old farts. Especially old farts with frosty butts. Makes us cranky. Gonna throw that door wide open, the hell with the collateral damage. :boxing:

Oh Please,Please don't open the door:yum: i promise to turn off the AC and just roll down the window next time:winterrules:

geodesy

Montana here, 2007 Kubota 1100 RTV hard to Start below 40 degrees. Thinking on a block heater with a timer so the wife can get to the horses for feeding in the winter months, any thoughts. The damn thing will not start below 40 deg.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Montana here, 2007 Kubota 1100 RTV hard to Start below 40 degrees. Thinking on a block heater with a timer so the wife can get to the horses for feeding in the winter months, any thoughts. The damn thing will not start below 40 deg.
My 2004 doesn't like the cold either. I do have a block heater on the engine, another on the tranny and a timer ready.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the coldest i ever started my 2007 1100c wa -25. The machine sits outside uncovered and started right up after a 1 minute glow and properly prepared diesel fuel. i did have to hold the glow plugs on with the engine running for another min. your machine should start at 40..... replace the glow plugs or check at least that they are working.

Reactions: Doc

10-e-c-dirt

This has been an interesting discussion. But does anyone religiously follow engine/transmission warmup that's on page 27 of the X900
owner/operator manual?

Reactions: Doc

ItBmine

My 1100 is in an unheated barn and it will start no problem at minus 13*F with 4 to 5 seconds of glow plug without the block heater plugged in. When it gets colder than that (gets to minus 40 here) I have it plugged in.
I'm running 5W40 synthetic in the engine.

Then I let it warm up for a while. I find the transmissions are very slow until they are warmed right up. You can usually tell when the transmission is warmed up when it gets quiet sitting there idling.

SVG

Fellow Montanan here. I know it's never to be done but what I do when it's very cold here, I'll spray just a little bit of ether into the drain port of the air filter housing. Not a lot, just a ~1 second squirt. Seems to work every time.

I do have a block heater. The only time I do the ether trick is when I've neglected to plug it in.