Strange Issue

TechJunkie

So tonight I was taking my oldest grandson a ride before he had to head home to start school. We were having a great time and I stopped at the local park to let him play on the playground equipment. When we returned to the Kubota I saw what looked like water under the transmission area on the ground. I checked it and it was hydraulic fluid. I raised the bed and what I found was the breather tube in the top of the transmission was off the transmission on my x1140. I tried to push it back on but no luck. I checked both hydraulic dip sticks and both still said full, though the fluid was hot. I had my wife pick us up and I grabbed my truck and trailer and brought it home. I looked more closely at the plug and it looks like the bottom 1/2 of the rubber bushing is missing meaning it fell into the transmission in pieces or all at once. The plastic piece doesn’t engage the hole and the parts diagram shows the rubber bushing being longer towards the end of the plastic fitting. I hope this couldn’t have plugged a passage or caused any damage. It is still under warranty for seven more months. Can I just install another breather plug bushing and go on or should I have concerns? Not knowing if the fluid in this area is on the return side or supply side do I have a reason for concern.

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpeg
    IMG_1833.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1832.jpeg
    IMG_1832.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

TechJunkie

It is rubber but that is my concern as well. I talked with dealer and they are talking to Kubota. I asked for new filters and fluid change in addition to a new rubber bushing. I also asked for it to be documented on record. Just curious if anyone knew how the fluid returns to the filters and if I should have a big concern or not.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
In most applications, the filter will be immediately downstream of the pump,…so if any parts get picked up by the pump it will immediately be filtered-out before it gets to machinery.
This is why most pumps also have a “pick-up-screen”…to prevent parts from being introduced to the pump... So most parts which “fall” into the sump…remain there without harm.

TechJunkie

In most applications, the filter will be immediately downstream of the pump,…so if any parts get picked up by the pump it will immediately be filtered-out before it gets to machinery.
This is why most pumps also have a “pick-up-screen”…to prevent parts from being introduced to the pump... So most parts which “fall” into the sump…remain there without harm.
This is exactly what I asked. Since the vent is in the transmission in front of the HST I was concerned about the oil return path back to the filters. If it relies on passages the concern would be the rubber blocking a passage. Supposedly they are calling Kubota to ask this question. I fully intend for them to document everything in the event something does happen that is attributed to a blocked passage.

TechJunkie

Kubota replaced the bushing, paid to replace filters and fluid and documented issue. It is running great still with no issues so I am just going to get back to work and enjoy it. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

TechJunkie

That's good. You should be good to go now. I wonder what caused it to break in the first place? Just a defective part you think?
I am leaning towards it being defective. I can’t imagine there could enough vent pressure to damage it. The vent tube is unobstructed.

ItBmine

I am leaning towards it being defective. I can’t imagine there could enough vent pressure to damage it. The vent tube is unobstructed.
Probably. I have seen no issues with mine as of yet. Unless one of the dealer people hit it or something doing the PDI.

My RTV has been trouble free so far. Other than I found a nut in the bottom of the driver side door. But everything still works and no rattles.

And I can't seem to get the rad hoses to seal in the winter. Never a drip in the summer, but in winter I keep it in an unheated barn and after I use it and park it overnight, there is always a tiny puddle of coolant in the skid plate. And it's from a rad hose when it cools off and the clamp is tight.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Probably. I have seen no issues with mine as of yet. Unless one of the dealer people hit it or something doing the PDI.

My RTV has been trouble free so far. Other than I found a nut in the bottom of the driver side door. But everything still works and no rattles.

And I can't seem to get the rad hoses to seal in the winter. Never a drip in the summer, but in winter I keep it in an unheated barn and after I use it and park it overnight, there is always a tiny puddle of coolant in the skid plate. And it's from a rad hose when it cools off and the clamp is tight.
Interesting about your winter coolant leak. My X900 had a leak from day one and after some frustration I determined it to be a defective clamp. It seemed tight, but the leak continued so I replaced the clamp a the leak stopped.

TechJunkie

Interesting about your winter coolant leak. My X900 had a leak from day one and after some frustration I determined it to be a defective clamp. It seemed tight, but the leak continued so I replaced the clamp a the leak stopped.
I had an antifreeze leak when mine was new as well. It was a loose clamp on the water pump. Tightening alone didn’t fix it. I had to warm up the machine, loosen the clamp, move the hose around a little and then retighten. Hasn’t leaked since.

ItBmine

Thanks Tech and Biff. Probably what I will have to do because I tightened all the clamps. That's odd what you said Biff......you wouldn't think of that......that the clamp is tight but no good.

Mine never leaks a drop in summer. Only after use in winter and left in the unheated barn overnight.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Tech and Biff. Probably what I will have to do because I tightened all the clamps. That's odd what you said Biff......you wouldn't think of that......that the clamp is tight but no good.

Mine never leaks a drop in summer. Only after use in winter and left in the unheated barn overnight.
Well, leaking after spending time in an heated barn overnight in Ontario would make sense. Contraction of the metal would (could) allow for slight leakage. In the summer, between use and normal summer environment, the metal never contracts enough to allow for leaking. if it is leaking at a joint near below the driver's seat that is where mine was leaking. I had a devil of a time getting the hose off to clean the connection and to reinstall with a new clamp. BUT - that did it! Like you, it was environment related. I am in New Hampshire and in the winter I keep my shop at 35 F, unless I am using it, and it only then that I was able to find the leak. Mysteries abound!