The RTV-XG850 Throttle Design Flaw - any Fixes?

xopie

As I wrote on TBN a few minutes ago:

I consider it a major safety issue, personally. I was ready and - I thought prepared - for it and I was still surprised by it. It is very easy to have an out of control forward or rearward acceleration with this thing. Furthermore, doing fine work - like spraying around buildings, trees etc. or moving it to service it on the rack - is extremely difficult and frustrating.

There is simply no excuse for this condition to still exist after almost 3 years of production. There is simply no excuse for having such a sensitive throttle that it's almost impossible to have controlled and steady 1-5 mph operation.

A replacement foot pedal is $35 from Messicks (plus their outrageous shipping cost); I might just buy one to experiment with to see if I can seriously reduce the pedal sensitivity. One solution I've heard is to simply replace the return spring with a stronger spring. That's the first thing I'm going to do.

One way or another, this "twitchy" foot pedal design flaw is going to be fixed. As it is right now, there is no way I'm going to let anyone else drive this machine. While it probably isn't dangerous to a human (especially if they are seat belted) it sure as heck is dangerous to my brand new $20,000 machine!

This is ridiculous.
Agreed, on the Kubota Sidekick XG850, the accelerator spring is too flimsy. Which leads to a twitchy, jerky ride especially when starting or backing up. I tried replacing with several different extension springs for $5.29 each from Tractor Supply. And finally found one that works perfectly. Smooth start stops are easy now and it is a joy to drive around. The spring that works for me is 3/4 x 3-3/4 x .105 and is also known as Century Spring C-191. This spring is quite stiff and can be difficult to install. This is what worked for me. I used channel lock pliers, engaged the bottom of the spring, then grasped the spring at the top and levered it into the slot. extension spring.jpg

ItBmine

I see they have redesigned the pedal on the new 2023 Sidekick's to address this issue. They also gained a few more horsepower. I think they are 54 now.

ANZAC

Here is a better view of it, makes clear the 2nd item is instructions not "Muffler DPF"!
From what I can see, this kit K7811-94200 applies to early serial numbers, and there's also a newer pedal also for earlier serial numbers K78111-42112.

ANZAC

Note that the kit contains a bolt, instructions and the bracket, and the bracket itself (K7811-42380) is a lot cheaper than the kit.
That's a lot of money ($80) for one metric bolt and the instructions.

ANZAC

My serial number is 25XXX, I wonder if this is what they'll install in mine.
If it was a running change, you should already have that part number as the pedal.

I also am wondering if the price discrepancy between the 42380 updated bracket and the 94200 retrofit kit is that the kit actually includes a new pedal as well as the bracket, bolt, instructions, that would make the math work. I found a dealer with one in stock and asked them to send a picture of the contents if they can.

I'm going to call Kubota today. My dealer was absolutely clueless on this issue.
If I can't get any info from Kubota, I'm just going to order the kit and risk that I'm paying $80 for a bolt and instructions.
If it doesn't include a pedal, then I'll order that too.

Again, my Sidekick is an early serial number, 128xx so if you have a later unit, these items may not apply.

ANZAC

I just spoke to a helpful resource, the kit doesn't include the pedal, and so it is cheaper to just buy the bracket itself (and also the pedal if you need it based on your serial number) and a shorter stop bolt. The bracket is only meant to address the comfort issue in terms of pedal location, but I'm hoping it improves the drivability at low speeds. There is an associated PSB from 2020.

Anyway, don't order the 94200 kit.

FTG-05

All the work I had done was under warranty, so getting any information about what they did to fix the issues was like pulling teeth.

For the throttle issue, apparently all they did was take it apart and clean and lube it - no new parts whatsoever. I've driven it a bit but not in a mode where the throttle twitchiness is an issue i.e. backing up. It does seem to be a little bit better though.

ANZAC

All the work I had done was under warranty, so getting any information about what they did to fix the issues was like pulling teeth.

For the throttle issue, apparently all they did was take it apart and clean and lube it - no new parts whatsoever. I've driven it a bit but not in a mode where the throttle twitchiness is an issue i.e. backing up. It does seem to be a little bit better though.
Driving mine yesterday, it seems the issue is more the clutch engaging abruptly....

That said because my Sidekick is an early serial number, I'm going to update to the newer bracket and pedal.
I received the install instructions for the new bracket.

ANZAC

I just installed the updated bracket and throttle pedal and stop bolt.

I adjusted it per the instructions. I could not see any obvious geometry differences (I didn't measure) but the pedal placement is much lower now.
It seems a little better, but I'm also used to driving it with the touchy throttle. No regrets in making the update, but it isn't "night and day" but "a bit better".

My Sidekick is a 2018 model, and these parts were running changes. I am not sure of the dates/serial numbers where they applied.

I bought the parts loose which was a lot cheaper than buying the kit with instructions.