Tires RTV 900

Cwlambert

Tire Question.2007 RTV 900
I have seen lots of post about tires, etc. I'm not looking to change rims just get new tires. Looking for something to just go on trails where I hunt, mostly wooded area with stream crossings, nothing to rugged. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.202

Cwlambert

I have seen lots of post about tires, etc. I'm not looking to change rims just get new tires. Looking for something to just go on trails where I hunt, mostly wooded area with stream crossings, nothing to rugged. Thanks in advance for all suggestions.202

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Cwlmbert. Like you say, there are lot of views out there. I personally use the Blackwater Evolutions. Whatever you get, just keep in mind the load rating. Good Luck with your decision :) bordercollie

shinnery

The cheapist I found was DiscountTireDirect.com. Delivered to your door and you have to get them mounted locally. I just went for the stock size as I am on flatlands and sand.
Bryce

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The cheapist I found was DiscountTireDirect.com. Delivered to your door and you have to get them mounted locally. I just went for the stock size as I am on flatlands and sand.
Bryce

Could you PLEASE send the link for the tires you are talking about at this outfit???......The Blackwaters that Border Collie is talking about or original tires or what.......THANKS

ovrszd

I struggled a bit with this when I searched for tires. The RTV is already heavy. Once you add a driver and any considerable payload it's very easy to go over the tire's limits.

I'll use Shinnery's tires as an example. All four are capable of carrying 1,680 pounds. With driver onboard they are over their capacity. They'll survive that condition. But, add 1,000 pound payload and the rears will be seriously over their capacity.

My Manual says my RTV900 weighs 1830 pounds with a payload capacity of 1630 pounds. That's a max weight of 3460 pounds. That would require each tire having a capacity of 865 pounds "if" you could equally distribute the weight.

Next time I get my RTV back to the shop I'll scale each tire with no driver and no payload to see how it's chassis weight is distributed and what each is carrying.

I understand there are users that don't haul heavy payloads. In that situation, it probably doesn't matter.

In my situation I frequently have 1,000 pound payload. I use ITP Blackwater Evolutions like Collie. I've ran them a year with no problems. They are miles ahead of the factory tires in regards to traction.

Not suggesting they are the best, just saying they are a huge step up.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter

Not sure from your post where you live but Welcome. If you have a Discount Tire near you, stop by and talk to them. A couple of years back, I was looking for tires for my 04 900. I asked here and then searched the web. Discount had little on their website but when I stopped in to the local dealer, they had a catalog that listed about any tire available in the market.

At that time the Grim Reapers were highly rated on the site and I bought a set of them. Discount had the best price when all the costs were added up. No shipping and the mounting was included in the price.

I'm very happy with the Reapers but as with tires like them, you don't want to take them across your manicured lawn. I plow snow without chains now and they just don't get stuck like my old ones did.

The Blackwater units seem to be gaining favor and no argument from me here.

My point is, if you have a Discount Tire around, stop by and ask. You may be pleasantly surprised with both the variety and price.

100_1302_zpsbeba5fb7.jpg

Cwlambert

Thanks everyone for the comments. I live in VA. I have looked at the Maxxis Viper. Like them but not sure if they are over kill or right on point. 202