Trans Cooler Add to 1140CPX

tjanak

I notice when the machine is cold the transmission is very responsive, and as it heats up it seems more sluggish. It's especially noticeable when the machine is hot and I stop in a hole or up against an steep incline and then try to start forward again - slipping and often limited to no forward movement. Shifting down from M to L and/or reversing takes care of the problem, but it must be an indicator of bigger issues.

I may end up needing trans/pump work but for now would like to add a cooler to the trans fluid. Where would I tap into low pressure fluid to do this? The only options I see are the filter boss on the right hand side that has the engine coolant lines, and what is listed as the "suction" filter on the rear of the transmission. I see lines I could tap into on the rear filter, but the "suction" description in the owner's manual worries me that this may not be an appropriate place to try and push fluid through a cooler.

Speaking of engine coolant, the way these things run I'm not so sure that the trans isn't cooling the engine instead of vice versa.

Thanks,
Travis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
these things need to get up to a certain temp that is pretty hot. if you are loosing performance when warm then your best go ahead and replace the plates before the valve pistons get damaged. are you running fresh kubota oil and filters?

tjanak

New filters, oil was topped off with Kubota oil at filter change but would have to look for the last trans oil change.

What do you mean "replace the plates"? I need to do some reading.

Is it common for the hoses to partially collapse going to the suction filter? They make that bend and don't look kinked but are not round.

Thank you

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
probably should change the transmission oil first. that is the cheapest and could very well solve any minor problems. valve plates in the transmission usually last many thousands of hours but seem to fail early in machines that don't get regular oil service.