VW Water Pump

ItBmine

How this for ironic? The other day I got a spam email to join a class action lawsuit against VW over cracking plastic water pumps. I deleted it right away because I haven't had a failure yet on this Tiguan and these suits are usually BS anyway.

Well, the very next day guess what just failed? LOL

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How do you like the Tiguan? I was looking at one the other day as I may be looking for something like that. How's the rear visibility? I didn't drive it but it looks like the Tiguan as well as many other SUV's of that size have poor rear and side visibility.

ItBmine

How do you like the Tiguan? I was looking at one the other day as I may be looking for something like that. How's the rear visibility? I didn't drive it but it looks like the Tiguan as well as many other SUV's of that size have poor rear and side visibility.
Well mine is old. It's a 2010 but it's a very nice High Line. I bought it and a new Jetta in 2013 when my two local Ford dealers both P'd me off.
Both were very nice to drive. LOTS of power for a little 2.0 litre and they both handled awesome. They would likely both blow the doors off the old Mach 1 Mustangs I used to have, LOL
I'm a Ford guy and have since started to buy them again. But I can say, I test drove one of the new full size Bronco's but admit I can't remember what engine was in it but my Tiguan 2.0 turbo would outrun it no problem.
But I ended up getting rid of the Jetta because (and the Tiguan is only slightly better)......they are my wife's and she does lots of driving back and forth to town and it seems every oil change interval these damn VW's need sway bar links and once a year they break front coil springs.

Like I said, they are cheap to buy, very nice to drive, very comfortable.......but they seem fragile.

I run 70 miles of poorly maintained bush road in and out of work every week in my 2020 F150 and it has need absolutely nothing so far. So when this Tiguan finally dies I told my wife "you're getting a short box F150 next" LOL She doesn't like mine because it's too long with the 8 foot box.

ItBmine

Oh, visibility is great, way better than the Ford Escape and the new Explorers. But they have redesigned the VW suv's and they are bigger now, so not sure how they are now.

ItBmine

Well, I see now why I buy Ford's again.

$2000 for water pump and labor and they still are charging me another $294 plus 13% tax on top of that for diagnostics because, well you know, they had to make sure the water pump that was pouring coolant out of it was bad.

Then he says "we notice there is carbon build up in the intake manifold" (which is a new intake last year because the other one broke some butterfly valve in it) "we can clean that for $354"

NO THANKS. Why does this stuff have to happen when I have something going on and no time to do it myself.

ItBmine

Wife got the Tiguan back today. $2500 to replace the plastic thermostat housing and 7.5 hours labor for a very simple job. They didn't even change the plastic water pump for that!!

Now ask me why I will never again buy some foreign nazi mobile. There will never be anything but Ford and GM in my yard from now on. Lesson learned.
And I don't even want any more new ones. They're all overpriced junk. Time to get some more 60's and 70's vehicles. I'd rather pay for the gas.

Good thing I'm not home because there would probably be an assault at that VW dealer. LOL

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are these dealer prices for repairs? We have a good indy shop that does our work. We had 2 Audi A6's that they maintained and I don't recall ever paying that much for water pumps or other repairs.
BTW, we got rid of almost all of our German cars (The Audi's and Mercedes are gone, 1 BMW still in the stable) and switched back to Honda, Toyota & Chevy. Maintenance prices are the primary reason. The oil pan on the BMW is dripping a little. Dealer told me $2300 to replace it. I think not.

Smilingreen

Are these dealer prices for repairs? We have a good indy shop that does our work. We had 2 Audi A6's that they maintained and I don't recall ever paying that much for water pumps or other repairs.
BTW, we got rid of almost all of our German cars (The Audi's and Mercedes are gone, 1 BMW still in the stable) and switched back to Honda, Toyota & Chevy. Maintenance prices are the primary reason. The oil pan on the BMW is dripping a little. Dealer told me $2300 to replace it. I think not.
Nah, I don't take my A4 to the stealership for anything. I would have done it myself, except the water pump is under the intake manifold on the drivers side of the engine, at the very back of the engine. Since the intake manifold had to be removed, I decided to take it to a shop that does nothing but Euro cars. They installed new injectors, plugs and plug coil paks while they were in there. That will be the last time I do that.

ItBmine

Nah, I don't take my A4 to the stealership for anything. I would have done it myself, except the water pump is under the intake manifold on the drivers side of the engine, at the very back of the engine. Since the intake manifold had to be removed, I decided to take it to a shop that does nothing but Euro cars. They installed new injectors, plugs and plug coil paks while they were in there. That will be the last time I do that.
In the Tiguan it is under the intake also but facing front of car. If I didn't have to leave town I guarantee I could have done it in way less than 7.5 hours plus 2.5 "diagnosing" coolant pouring out of it.

The 2.5 hours I paid them to "diagnose" would have paid for a new water pump to go along with the thermostat housing they replaced.

It's almost criminal but what are you gunna do. Was the only place that could get it in to fix so that my wife wasn't without a vehicle for a week.

ItBmine

This was Northside VW in Sault Ste. Marie. Google it and you should see a Google review I did a few years ago with pics of the hole they put through the floor of my new Jetta with the hoist....then tried to say "you wife must have ran something over."
And when I contacted VW and had pics of all the damages they have done to both my VW's, they couldn't seem to care less.

That's why no more VW's for me.

Smilingreen

This was Northside VW in Sault Ste. Marie. Google it and you should see a Google review I did a few years ago with pics of the hole they put through the floor of my new Jetta with the hoist....then tried to say "you wife must have ran something over."
And when I contacted VW and had pics of all the damages they have done to both my VW's, they couldn't seem to care less.

That's why no more VW's for me.
Wow, a bunch of greenhorns working there?

Smilingreen

Audi had a out of warranty replacemnt refund for their leaking waterpumps, but it was only good to 80k miles. When I took mine in, it had 81k on it and they wouldn't honor the paid replacement, even though it had been leaking around the shaft seal for thousands of miles before. I like the Audi's, as the ride is like nothing I have owned before and that little turbo 2L shits and gets. I also average 36 mpg on the highway.

Smilingreen

I have no idea? Or it's just this new generation of I don't care and no accountability.
I see plenty of the latter everyday at work. They would rather be laying on Moms couch, playing video games than working and being a productive member of society.

ItBmine

I liked my VW's. Those were only two I ever bought because my old Ford dealer P'd me off. They drive and handle nice and had good power for a tiny motor, but I liken them to the newer Polaris atv's....great rides but built with crap components.

And what is it with those 2.0L turbos plugging the intakes and valves with carbon? I just had a new intake put on it last year and they said it's full of carbon already.

I really miss my old Ford Explorer Sport.
Had 400,000 miles on it and all it ever had replaced is a front wheel bearing, battery and wiper blades.
But then my wife rolled it in a ditch trying to miss someones dog that ran out and as soon as the dealer did body work and paint the body rotted right off it.

Smilingreen

I liked my VW's. Those were only two I ever bought because my old Ford dealer P'd me off. They drive and handle nice and had good power for a tiny motor, but I liken them to the newer Polaris atv's....great rides but built with crap components.

And what is it with those 2.0L turbos plugging the intakes and valves with carbon? I just had a new intake put on it last year and they said it's full of carbon already.

I really miss my old Ford Explorer Sport.
Had 400,000 miles on it and all it ever had replaced is a front wheel bearing, battery and wiper blades.
But then my wife rolled it in a ditch trying to miss someones dog that ran out and as soon as the dealer did body work and paint the body rotted right off it.
Knock on wood, I havent had those issues. I only run Top Tier 93 octane in my A4. I have owned it since 2018. I did have to replace an upstream oxogen sensor a couple of years ago, but I bought the part and did it myself. Whole process took about 5 minutes.

ItBmine

I made my VW problems go away. Sold the Jetta a while back and now just parked the Tiguan Highline and replaced it with a 2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II, and couldn't be happier. The wife loves driving that little truck.
Doesn't have all the interior luxuries, but my son is fixing that. He bought a bluetooth stereo and backup camera for it.

Attachments

• 20240408_200417.jpg
    20240408_200417.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 3

Smilingreen

I have owned a couple of Rangers. First one I bought new. I believe it was a 94 with the gutless Converted 4 banger Pinto motor in it. Dang thing had 8 spark plugs in it. My Ex took that POS. The next one was a late 90s with the V6 in it. It was ok. Drove it a few years until it was constantly nickel and diming me to death. Parked it on the fence row and traded it for some work to be done around my farm.