Weird Exhaust Smell

4570FAN

The last two times I've ran my RTV I've noticed a strange burning smell. It's running perfectly fine. The first time I thought maybe salt off the roads on the exhaust. Even though I never smelled it last winter. Today I narrowed it down to the exhaust itself. IT SMELLS LIKE GRILLING MEAT! Do you think a mouse could've actually died inside my muffler? I've checked over the rest of the machine, no nests or debris anywhere.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Fluid Film smells sorta good too. edit: if it gets on the muffler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I love the smell of diesel in the morning! (I asked my wife to put some behind her ears …but she just gave me a pop with a wet-towel!

ItBmine

How is everyone else's RTV on cold starts? Despite my 1100 and my B2620 having the same D1105 engine, starting my RTV is like cold starting an old NTC Big Cam Cummins. It will smoke you out of the building and it smells very strong diesel exhaust.
Whereas cold starting my B2620 there is almost no smoke or smell.

Like I've said before, my RTV runs very well and strong. And is very easy on fuel. Just curious as to why it stinks so much. Are they all like that? I realize the D1105 in tractor is likely tuned different, but it runs clean and odor free.

4570FAN

My x1100c will have a light gray puff if it hasn't been run in a while (days) and it's cold out. Other than that, very clean.
Of course, now I've got the BBQ going on.🤦‍♂️

ItBmine

My x1100c will have a light gray puff if it hasn't been run in a while (days) and it's cold out. Other than that, very clean.
Of course, now I've got the BBQ going on.🤦‍♂️
Have you found the source of the smell yet?

4570FAN

It's definitely coming from inside the muffler. It didn't seem as bad today, but still noticeable. Whatever it is must be about cooked out.