What Happens When You Lock the Diff?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Ohio is pretty dry right now so I did not have any mud to test this in and can't find the answer in the service or operators manual.

In an 1120D, if you heel-press the locking diff pedal and pull up the locking handle, does it lock only the rear diff or the entire drive train?

Thanks in advance.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Seems to me, it's gonna just be that left rear tire that is locked in. In addition, if you are in 4WD then the 2 rears are locked in and depending on if the front end has limited slip differential then the front could or could NOT be all locked in.........

The kicker is, I only have an old 900 RTV, a couple of JD's, and a B series Kubota tractor........Then there was the....and the............on and on......Good luck..Dennis

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the heel peddle only locks the rear differential. and you need to keep that linkage lubed or it has a tendency to seize up. also don't recommend using very much because ive heard there is a tendency to grenade the rear diff if it gets in a bind. a hint.... you can use your emergency brake or even your foot brake in 4wd as a traction control to keep all four spinning.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
I think the grenade happens when people try to engage a diff that is under a load or spinning rear tires. If you lock it in before you are in trouble all the better
On my 1100x, I sometimes lock the diff going downhill in wet grass, it gives me a more controlled descent and less tearing and skidding of the grass. Are you suggesting I should lock in before hitting the slope? And at a complete stop?
Approach slope, stop, heel down on diff pedal (and hold?), accelerate/ proceed downhill, release heel at bottom. Same for going up wet grass?