what is your favorite setup?

magicheater

Just curious what others prefer to keep on their FEL's and the 3PH for everyday
duty. I have a favorite combo which consists of 2 homemade attachments. Let me know what you like and why? Thanx in advance!

Erik

loader bucket on the front, unless I'm moving logs or flat rocks - then it's the pallet forks.
box blade and 6 buckets of concrete on the back as counterweight for loader.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
loader bucket on the front, unless I'm moving logs or flat rocks - then it's the pallet forks.
box blade and 6 buckets of concrete on the back as counterweight for loader.

I'm about the same. Bucket on the front and something heavy on the back. Usually a 1000# box blade.

Jim

B

bczoom

Loader on the front, a blade in the back. Light blade in the winter for snow removal, box blade in the other seasons.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Loader on the front, Bush hog on the back. For me it's a toss up between the box blade and the bush hog, but during the summer months I use the bush hog more regularly for keeping trails cleared so it's usually handier just to leave it on. It provides enough counter weight for my loader work.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
FEL w/bucket and box blade ........... second is FEL w/bucket and hoe .... :wink:

I'm with you doc. loader on the front with b hog on or the tiller. I don't like to put too much weight out back or fluid in the tires. Too hard on the tractor frame. Every now and then you will see someone that has broken their rig in two.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you doc. loader on the front with b hog on or the tiller. I don't like to put too much weight out back or fluid in the tires. Too hard on the tractor frame. Every now and then you will see someone that has broken their rig in two.

I wanted my tires loaded from the get go, when I bought my tractor. The dealer missed that, so I didn't get them loaded until the 50 hour fluid change. Boy, what a difference loaded tires make. Course I'm on very hilly terrain.

But you brought up a good point. Are loaded tires harder on the axle or the transmission? I suspect the transmission because it is more weight to move. the biggest part of the weight is below the axle in the bottom of the tire. At least that is my guess.

I agree . Its a toss up . Seems like I put on the hoe and then want to grade or put on the box and then want to ditch .:pat:

I'll admit, I wish I had a hoe or tiller to add to my 3PH collection. One of these days ...... :D

jwstewar

Staff member
I guess my favorite setup depends on what task is at hand and what season of the year it is.:yum:

During the winter it is FEL, rear blade, and no MMM. During the early spring it is FEL, tiller, and no MMM -until mowing season starts. Then it will typically be no FEL, nothing on the back, but the MMM will be installed. Then a couple of times of the year FEL, 4' cutter on the back, and no MMM.

BTW, my favorite attachment for the tractor? The canopy on top. No matter what I'm doing, it helps keep the sun or rain off me. My nose doesn't get sunburned near as much as it used to - even with suncreen.

urednecku

It totally depends on what I'm doing at the time, that's what I love about the quick-attach....just a couple minutes, I can go from bucket to grapple to hay forks, which is what I'm using right now. For counter-weight, of course the tires are full of water, and right now using a hay fork on the 3ph so I can haul 2 rolls at a time. With the grapple & bucket, it's usually the box blade with the water tank I cut the top off of & filled with cement.

Oh yea, Jim, I also love that roof over my head!!

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
I know of at least one manufacturer that says their compact and subcompact tractors with a loader need to be ballasted with fluid in the tires, wheel weights, and a load on the three point - not one or another, but all three at once. With the weight of a full bucket sticking out in front, that much weight is needed to prevent major weight transfer from the back to the front, since the front wheels act as a pivot point, and the front axle is being asked to support all that weight. More weight in the rear helps reduce the weight transfer and corrollary potential for loss of traction on the rear.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Loader on the front, Bush hog on the back.

I forgot, in the summer a 6' finish mower sometimes take the place of the box blade. Reason for the box blade is it is pretty heavy and doesn't add that much to the overall length of the tractor.

Jim