Wild life management

Oldpath

Ten trillion trees to bang on woodpeckers cant leave my garage and house alone,,,,,, trim boards dont last long enough now without woodpeckers banging on them taking paint off. At 5;30 this morning on my day off was the last time for that woodpecker, his last location was where the red dot is, bad enough crows, owls, whippoorwills wake me up I dont need a woodpecker putting holes in my place. What I need is birds that will eat ticks, wasps and brown tail moths, where are those birds........

Inkedluz9hiK_LI.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too have been having problems with woodpeckers on the house. I'm going to get my owl decoy out and see if that keeps them away.

Oldpath

A decoy owl sure would be a lot quieter, once in awhile I have barred owls near by and they make some of the most ungodly noises I ever heard...

Reactions: Doc

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This site has a couple of ideas for keeping the woodpeckers off of your house. This Spring, when I was at the old homeplace, I saw a rare woodpecker on a log in the side yard. I had hit the wood with the lawnmower and noticed termites in it. Well that big old woodpecker was chowing down. He musta been hungry , because he just kept gobbling them up even with me so close. https://dengarden.com/pest-control/How-to-Stop-Woodpeckers-from-Damaging-Your-House . I would consider trying the real suet block with some of those dried mealworms mixed in or what about an air horn /bell buzzer.
Years ago, we got one of the alarm bells and would ring it when daddy got a phone call with his hydraulic business. He wouldn't here the phone with his grinder going ,but he would that bell. I think we got it at Surplus center back then . It was cheap like $20 years ago- nothing fancy. Ama zon has some of varying quality.

Last edited:

Oldpath

Another annoying animal is a porcupine, my co worker this past Wednesday let his dog out early around 2am, he heard him growling at something then called his dog back in, came in with face full of quills, took the dog to a all night vet, cost $300.00, ouch but I couldn't pull quills out either and it has to be done.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For porcupines, I've heard that if you get hit with the quills, you should take scissors and cut the injected quills in half. By doing so, it relieves the pressure in the quill and quill head making them much easier to remove.

Oldpath

For porcupines, I've heard that if you get hit with the quills, you should take scissors and cut the injected quills in half. By doing so, it relieves the pressure in the quill and quill head making them much easier to remove.
You heard right according to my friend at work, he said thats what the vet did is cut top of quills after they put dog under, said something about they hold pressure and come out much easier when cut. Think he said he was at the vets 6am and there was two more before him that night.
He loves his dog, told me what kind it is but I forgot, sorta like a Husky breed.