1140 Cab

rfritz

I am just about to become a first time RTV owner. I am debatingbetween the 1100 and 1140. TheA/C in the 1100 would be nice, but not a hugedeal to me. The heating system of the 1100 looks like it would be much better than the add on heater in the 1140. I own a sporting clays range and small farm and would be in and out of the cab a lot. I am afraid the doors may be too cumbersome for my use in the summer. If I remove the doors, I might as well get the 1140 as the AC would be useless.</p>

I love the idea of the second seat/additional bed space of the 1140. Idefinitely want a cab for winter use, but my wife does not like thesquare look of the 1140 factory cab.I would probably remove the doors in the summer. Does anyone have a photo of the 1140 factory cab with the doors removed. I definitely want a glass windshield and canopy. Does anyone know of a cab that can be used with the Kubota windshield? What about an after market cab with a glass windshield?</p>

I would appreciate any info anyone has to offer.</p>

</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on about to be a RTV owner.</p>

I can directly answer your questions as I only have a 900.</p>

A couple questions/thoughts if I may.</p>

Can you give us an idea of where you live? Region or state? I ask because your usage sounds a lot like mine (short trips where you're frequently in-and-out). I live a bit north of Pittsburgh so I do get a decent winter. I don't have a cab but found that a windshield and roof take care of my needs most of the time. Be it summer or winter, my usage would find the cab to be somewhat of a pain. I just make sure I have appropriate clothes for the climate (mainly winter) and I'm all set.</p>

</p>

rfritz

I live in Somerset County, PAabout 60 miles east of Pittsburgh. Our winters are probably similar. I saw a photo of a cab on a 900 that looked perfect. It had hard doors and the door appeared to slide back rather than swing open. It was for sale on one of the auction sites. I plan to call thedealer tomorrow.</p>

I have not found a lot of cabs for the 1140 with glass windshields. I have an EZ-Go clays car with the polycarbonate windshield, and really want to go with glass in the RTV.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Like bczoom, my answers can be only about the 900 series RTV.</p>

Don't want to repeat what zoom has stated, but like him, I found that the roof & windshield takes care of much. A cab with air & heat might be very nice for some folks, but for theapplications that we use one for, in and out of the cab, the doors would be in the way, cubersome,and a waste of hard earned money. We jump around ours so much, we would probobly wear the hinges and latches off .....</p>

Now if we had to stay still in the machine for a long period of time, and it's freezing out there. Might buy a second RTV and have a cab on that unit, but still would keep my " open cab " version for hunting, deer management, and scouting around !!!!</p>

........ </p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="rfritz"]</p>

I have an EZ-Go clays car with the polycarbonate windshield, and really want to go with glass in the RTV.</p>

[/quote]Glass is pricey, but worth the extra in my book. I've always wanted to see clearly what I was going to hit !!!!</p>

All doors on RTV's seen down here in the Louisiana, swings open....... but what do we know, we are 75 years behind time compared to everybody else in the world !!!!</p>

Oh yes, welcome to the forum !!!!</p>

</p>

I own the RTV-900 but I wish I had gone with the 1100. By the time you add top , windshield, Snorkel, flashers, andwipers you have approximatly the same price that I could have paid for the 1100. You will get heat, air-conditioning, door, rear window in addition. You could always take the doors off if you has problems with them. I get tired of dust and grass hoppers as well as the rain hitting you when the wind is blowing. To late to correct my mistake but you should think about those items before you purchase.</p>

rfritz

Below is a picture of the cab I was talking about. Does anyone know what brand cab this is? This is one of the nicer looking cabs I have seen. If I can find a cab similar to this that will fit the 1140, it may sway me that direction, otherwise I will probably go with the 1100.</p>

cab.jpg
</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
THAT IS THE NICEST CAB EVER SEEN ON A RTV ... </p>

THAT PICTURE JUSTGOT MY ATTENTION ....</p>

......</p>

............. two guns </p>

Uncle Doug,</p>

That is the nicest cab I have ever seen on a Kubota........If Kubota would put that one on a 1100 I would trade mine in today. That sliding door is the finest idea yet...</p>

I would hate to put all of my toys on a new one but it would be worth it.....</p>

Rusty Anvil,,,,,,,</p>

Two Guns,</p>

That is what happens when you get some age. Your brain doesn't work well early in the morning........Actually it doesn't work well all day....LOL.......I was reading the posts of Uncle Doug and then went to the post of the sliding door for the Kubota and got the names mixed up. It must of been the fog from either Texas or Louisiana that fogged up my mind...........LOL.........</p>

Rusty Anvil,,</p>

rfritz

Here is what I found out about this cab. It is a Kubota factory cab (Curtis) with the cantilever doors. The cab was only available for the 900's. The doors latch in the open position and can be driven with them open (within reason). They have been discontinued by Curtis. The guy I spoke with at Curtis said Kubota may still have some in stock. He also said these doors were not as durable as the swing open doors.</p>

It also has a Curtis heater, which has a vent inserted into the drivers cup holder, and another set of vents in the top front of the cab at the ROPS. One of the top vents blow onto the windshield. I still think this is the nicest cab I have seen for a Kubota.</p>

</p>

Roy</p>

rfritz

Scott fron Curtis just emailed me the installation instructions for the 1140 front cab and the heater. It is the same heater they use on the 900. It has some good photos of the cab during and after installation. If anyone is interested, email me at</p>

rfritz AT stoneycreekshooting DOT com</p>

and I will forward the pdf to you.</p>

</p>

Roy</p>

EDIT BY BCZOOM - Break apart e-mail address so spammers and bots don't pick it up.</p>

This cab looks very similiar to one I saw at a local fall fair..didn't note the name... If it is the same, the doors aren't sliders. They open by pulling out from the cab and arcing backward. Could be wrong..it was a while back before I got my 900.</p>

rfritz

I assume you are correct.Curtis Cabs described them as a cantilever door. I would expect the doors would operate on an arch, being farthest from the cab near the half open point, then coming back closer to the cab as they open.</p>

rfritz.......</p>

</p>

I have the standard Curtis hard cab on mine (RTV900)with dual wipers, work lites, dual cab heaters, glass windshield etc. Yes the doors are a bit awkward (suicide doors) but they do remove easily. The Kubota factory cab on the 1100 is nifty and I'm pretty sure the doors come off for summer useage.</p>

Let us know what you end up getting </p>

rrroae

I have had all 3 models of Kubota. 1st was the 900, then the 1100 and now the 1140. </p>

</p>

For me, I thought I would really enjoy the cab with AC and heat on the 1100. What I found out was it took away most of the fun of driving around an UTV. I like being able to hop in and out and I also realized nothing was better than to go thru the woods or down the road and feel a little wind and hear what was going on.</p>

</p>

It also didn't help my 1100 was a slug. </p>

</p>

Incidentally, the 1140 is the greatest UTV ever made.</p>

solitude

Hi
I have an 1100 and before that a 900 and the 1100 is the way to go if you are in a cold area which I think you are.The doors do come off but heavy to deal with.Yes it is a slug not over powered for sure.
But in the summer with doors off and winsheild open It's just like the 900 without a cab was.And in the winter with the heat and defrosters it is so nice and warm.No wind chill in the cab for sure.I had a mule with curtis cab with a heater.Man it was so cold and noisey and it rattled awful.They say the 1140 shifts easier and stops better the 900 and 1100 which is good.But with the coast valve installed in mine it is just fine.Got a sander and a plow on mine this winter.You won't be sorry with the1100 and it's factory cab.</p>

rrroae

I'm in upper Pa and the heater and cab made plowing real easy in the 1100. Heck, I even had the doors off from summer and it was still warm enough. For me, I just didn't get along with the cab model and I was pretty happy selling my 1100 and getting the 1140 a couple months ago. I suspect for some fellas, the cab will make a big difference but the novelty quickly ended for me.</p>

</p>

If you haven't driven the new model yet, don't.. You'll end up ticked off you have the older model. They really put a lot of thought and effort into the improvements and upgrades.</p>