Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark.Sibole

one of these days we need to set up a chat room on skype just to chat via voice.
would be nice to talk to a lot of ya .Could come in handy when someone needs fast step by step info or vent on something.

Mark.Sibole

OK ill pop back in later need to get my old azz motivated.Need to unload a trailer full of sugar beets i loaded yesterday.Evidently the wife couldnt tell me she needed the trailer friday to pick up popcorn for boy scouts.Have a great day and stay safe!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
there are 2 doe permits there and i finally drew 1 after 8 years so that is a big plus.
A drawing for a doe permit? Dang, that sucks. How many doe permits do they issue each year?

I just checked our State (PA) and they're issuing 779,500 doe permits. With the exception of the areas around Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, they're sold out. If you apply in a timely fashion you'll get one.
https://www2.pa.wildlifelicense.com/deeravail.php

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Zoomie where u located? i forget Like Michigan hitting low 40s at night and 70s daytime this week.But as always in michigan you can see all 4 seasons in a week here lol.
Western PA. Our forecast looks great for the next week. 70's during the day, 50's at night.

Mark.Sibole

Ah PA ok.
Yes Michigan sucks basically for hunting.They are more concerned about the dollar than the heard.
I think in my area only 224 state land permits were issues and 370 private land issued.The herd is a mess from about 7 years ago where someone made the boo boo of issuing 7000 more permits by accident.It put the hurt on the herd.Then they banned bailting and supplimental feeding for the 3 years that we had devistating winters.We lost approx 40 percent of the herd to the yotes because the deer were basically starving and had no energy to get away.They made a complete mess of things here.The herd is just now making a come back.As for yotes they are the worse ive seen in population in years now.They took off the bounty for them so no one wastes their time hunting or trapping them now.I know PA has some of the best hunting and rules around.But Michigan is corrupt and dosnt know how to manage shit let alone a deer herd.Our liscenses went up 150 percent this year.Fishing liscense went up 70 percent.so its now costing me about 150 per person this year.All I can see out of this is a lot of poaching and illegal hunting.In our area we have 1 CO to keep an eye on a 100 square mile area and she isnt worth a damn to begin with.Give GOVT control over anything they make a mess out of it.Id like to see a private consertive manage the hunting and fishing here.The liscense fees no longer go into the DNR to help manage things or stock lakes all funds go into the states general fund so hunting fees go to welfare checks.pay raises for the corrupt Govt officials and to DC.Its a total cluster *&^%$

King

Cattle Prices

I cant believe these cattle prices. It sure is nice and I am glad I don't buy my own meat but how is the general population going to keep affording this . Sold 82 steers Friday at the auction yard. 133,332 dollars. About 600 pound average. 1600 per calf. This will eventually cause all meat products to go up. Chicken pork you name it. Best thing you can do if you have a little land is to raise your own.

Attachments

• 10578954_10201767386984753_522607562_n.jpg
    10578954_10201767386984753_522607562_n.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 81
  • kim hannigan.jpg
    kim hannigan.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 82

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Man King, You are sure right ! Great prices for the cattlemen. Good for you. :tiphat: We sold our commercial calves in June and the prices have kept climbing. (That is the time for us to sell so the mama's can rest up for Fall calving.) They avg 225 a hundred weight then.
Corn and grains are half of what they cost last year for feed.. ( Corn delivered for 185 ton.) But we must remember in the late 80's cull cows brought 25 cents a pound yep, terrible prices. The calves were 60-75 cents back then. Cattlemen need a good year. That is some tough work much of the year. collie

King

I remember when we got 500 dollars a calf we had a good year. Off to buy some bulls on Monday. Growing the herd a little kept back 50 heifers. Now if it will just rain here things will be great. Maybe I can get the new rtvx that is little smother riding.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We are about sold out of registered angus bulls . we sell about 40 per year. A great way to improve a herd for sure. Our top bull last May brought 9,100. coming 2yr old but his numbers were astounding. The runner up brought 8700. I was sure pleased with my bonus too ! ;) collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Talk about Cute !

Tagged out first registered heifer yesterday. Now that is a face anyone could love. ;) collie

Attachments

• Tagging_Calves-53.jpg
    Tagging_Calves-53.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 67

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That calf sure is cute.

Nice place King. My acreage is woods so I have a friend down the road raise my beef for me. Got a decent sized cow last year (748# hanging) at $2.50/pound cut, wrapped and froze. Prices this year are too damn high.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd the cute calf. :thumb:

So, dare I ask, how high are the beef prices this year for the same thing you paid $2.50 lb for last year BC?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[begin rant]

Gotta vent. I sure was pissed last night.

Pulled out the backpack blower to clean up some leaves. Damn thing wouldn't run right. Another engine goes down with fuel issues. Grrrr. That's the 4th one in the last couple months. Luckily I have a friend who gets them up and running for $25 (or $45 if he has to put in a carb rebuild kit) and back to me in a couple days.

So, frustrated and pissed off, I said the heck with this, I'm done with Ethanol gasoline in small engines.

I have a couple empty newfangled 5-gallon gas cans so I start siphoning all the gas out of the generators and such into those. While they're siphoning, I take a couple old-style 5-gallon cans I have that are full and start filling the van (and didn't spill a drop from those old cans).

Now I have 2 of those new style cans filled with gas. Go to pour it into the truck and those spouts that don't work for shit start dumping fuel all over the outside of the truck, on my pants and shoes and the shop floor. Now I'm really pissed, mainly at the government for messing up everything. They just had to fix shit that wasn't broken (like pure gasoline and 5-gallon cans).

Ended up using a funnel to dump the gas back into the old style tanks.

Got several engines drained of ethanol fuel and put in pure gas. Will do a few more engines next weekend after some of the cars burn off some gas so I have a place to dispose of the E10 crap gas.

[/end rant]

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just wait for E15 :poke:

Anyone looking gas without the E-10 additive might stop by your local marina. Many times gas there is okay to be sold without the Ethanol. A little more expensive per gallon but it won't kill your small engines.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just wait for E15 :poke:

Anyone looking gas without the E-10 additive might stop by your local marina. Many times gas there is okay to be sold without the Ethanol. A little more expensive per gallon but it won't kill your small engines.
I had 420 gallons of pure gas (no ethanol) delivered a couple weeks ago. Price was about 90-cents or $1.00 per gallon more than E10. Hard to choke down paying $4.49 for gas but I'm disgusted with E10 and the problems it causes in small engines. I'll get my money back just in keeping the engines out of the shop.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
[begin rant]

Gotta vent. I sure was pissed last night.

Pulled out the backpack blower to clean up some leaves. Damn thing wouldn't run right. Another engine goes down with fuel issues. Grrrr. That's the 4th one in the last couple months. Luckily I have a friend who gets them up and running for $25 (or $45 if he has to put in a carb rebuild kit) and back to me in a couple days.

So, frustrated and pissed off, I said the heck with this, I'm done with Ethanol gasoline in small engines.

I have a couple empty newfangled 5-gallon gas cans so I start siphoning all the gas out of the generators and such into those. While they're siphoning, I take a couple old-style 5-gallon cans I have that are full and start filling the van (and didn't spill a drop from those old cans).

Now I have 2 of those new style cans filled with gas. Go to pour it into the truck and those spouts that don't work for shit start dumping fuel all over the outside of the truck, on my pants and shoes and the shop floor. Now I'm really pissed, mainly at the government for messing up everything. They just had to fix shit that wasn't broken (like pure gasoline and 5-gallon cans).

Ended up using a funnel to dump the gas back into the old style tanks.

Got several engines drained of ethanol fuel and put in pure gas. Will do a few more engines next weekend after some of the cars burn off some gas so I have a place to dispose of the E10 crap gas.

[/end rant]

TSC sells a "repair kit" that will convert the new cans to the old type. You do need to drill a 1/2" hole for the vent assembly.

BTW, you didn't hear it from me :whistling: Bob

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'd thank you for that tidbit but I don't believe I heard that from you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.