How Many X Models

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Now the question is, what is happening to the ones who are feeling or hearing a clunk?

Is the rubber bushing already broken or missing?

Usually takes metal on metal to make clunking noises.

Any clunkers willing to investigate?

rapracing

Now the question is, what is happening to the ones who are feeling or hearing a clunk?

Is the rubber bushing already broken or missing?

Usually takes metal on metal to make clunking noises.

Any clunkers willing to investigate?

The clunking is not in the rear wheel, it is in the front. The a-arms slide in the saddle from front to rear about 3/16 of an inch. If you pm me your email I have a short video of what is happening.

I talked with my dealer today. The put shims/spacers in the front end to keep the control arm from moving. He said they also put some sort of shim at the rear hub. Didn't completely understand exactly what they did there. They are to return it on Monday now and I will ask some more questions then.

Humm?

Rap here's an excerpt from my invoice dated 3/19/2014...

"Jacked unit up and checked slack in front and rear wheels. Contacted Kubota service Rep and he stated that the slack was by design to allow wheels to have as much contact area with the surface of different terrains. Contacted customer and made customer aware of the reason for the slack"

What do you guys think?

Thanks
Gary

So was he saying both the front and rear movement was for this purpose?

Yep that's what he told me in person.
I couldn't resist asking if the rear side to side slack was designed for traction then how was the fore & aft movement on the front beneficial? That question was met with a shoulder shrug.

pop58

I think he was not informed very well.

I will still stand by my findings on the rear knuckle and bushings and don't think they will be and issue.
I think the front should be shimmed to remove the front to rear movement though.

Im also thing we know more then this rep.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
RapRacing

Got your videos. Thanks

The first one shows the front to back movement of the control arm and yes shims would take up that oversight and easily fix that problem. Right size washer with correct thickness would fix it. The decision would be where to put the shims. Half on each end or all on one end or the other. Probably not make a whole lot of difference. I suspect the tolerance on where to weld the mounts on the frame that are holding this unit were a little too loose. Shims would be an acceptable fix by any ones standards.

Still looks like rubber bushings. These while have to be replaced whenever Kubota wakes up. Any body that has worked around car/atv/utv/truck/bus/snowmobile suspensions knows that last thing you want is compressible bushings made of rubber. Amazing Kubota will have to fix this issue and soon but suspect it will take months before the engineers get their act together.

The second video shows what I think is play on the drive-shaft itself. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you saw a CV shaft all apart you would know why. Here is a Polaris one, because I can't find a Kubota version, that shows the end that fits in the differential and the end that attaches to the wheel hub. The end that attaches to the diff is free floating by about 1/8 to 1/4" which is normal. And these splines should have anti-seize applied to allow easy disassemble later. The two joints covered by the rubber boots have constant velocity (CV) joints that also have a little movement. What you are getting is the results of that play and it is normal in all independent drive shaft systems. The second picture in this attachment shows the diff end. Notice the little snap ring that holds it into the diff when assembled. That is why a quick pull on the end of the shaft is the only way to remove these when dissembling. Last one we did, a little pry bar for pressure and a quick snap did the trick. Not suggesting anyone needs to do this right now, just a future reference for days when you tear a boot or two. Just remember the anti-seize on re-assembly.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Polaris-Spor...&its=I&itu=UCI&otn=21&pmod=161156603635&ps=54

The third video shows the rear tire movement which is the rubber bushings flexing as little as 1/16 - 1/8" but magnified to a distance of 1/2 - 1" at the tire because both sides are flexing and the distance out to the wheel. Kubota will eventually get this fixed I'm positive of that, this is a huge oversight.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you guys, shims in the front should do the trick. I also believe the rear will be ok for now as Pop58 described in his earlier post.

When I get a chance to take rear bearing measurements I plan to order some brass replacements from these guys, just to see if it tightens things up.

http://anchorbronze.com/sinteredbronze.htm

Heck, whiles it's down, I may just drill and tap the knuckle for a grease zerk?

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
PrimeTime,

After just doing my Polaris with grease fittings, I thought of another way.

Assemble as much as you can and just before replacing the main pivot bolt squirt as much 80-90 gear oil or 10-30 oil as it will hold between the bushings and then stuff the bolts back in. Even if it's only 1-2 ounces that stays inside, it would be sufficient to lube both ends for years.

I wished I had thought of this for my last DIY but will use it in the future.

We call them bushings plastic but really mean they are polyurethane, delrin or utethane all very tough stuff. Too bad a replacement could not be found that is already out there and just needed some minor machining to fit.

I know, you guys should not even have to be thinking of this kind of repair, but given the length of time Kubota will take to get it's act in gear, some will want to try.

just joined...

x1100C about 4 days old and started looking for information and found this great site!

I traded in a 900 from 2005... I might go back and get it back!

BaiJiu

Welcome to the forum Cornerstone, hang around you will meet many interesting people here, lots of great advice but more importantly you will meet so many incredible friends.

BJ

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to 'our' forum CornerstoneFarm. Come back often and share your good and not-so-good experiences with your RTV. We have fun at others expense here but also laugh at our own goofs. Sharing your photos on the Forum will get you a cup of coffee at the local fast food joint. lol, well not really, but we all like to see pictures.
Keifer

pop58

Welcome Cornerstone. BaiJiu is right, there a lot of good people here.
I haven't been here long but but always felt welcomed.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard Bud........Keepin my 05 workhorse for sure.....YOU use a Segway a lot down in the pasture?......God bless.......Dennis