New Rear U Joints Needed-- Again

banjo

First post here. And right off I want to say thanks for this thread. It has already helped me make several decisions.... I have the bumper off, and three of the four u joints are shot at 930 hours its a 2006 I think, and I bought it new, so I did all the damage myself I guess. I can't seem to get the castle nut off the drivers side. Does any one have any ideas. I replaced one of the ujoints goin to the front at about 500 hours and it is out again. I was going to replace it today and saw all the other problems and just let that go ...How about that castle nut, any tips. Banjo

Art454

Did you try a impact tool?...Air or Electric should work...the vibration works wonders...if not longer breaker bar or if rusty try the brushing muriatic acid that bczoom loves to bath in.......lol

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Banjo. I used an impact wrench. Like Art said that vibration really helps. Some folks have had good luck with the penetrating sprays like PB blaster or Kroil oil. If you don't have an impact wrench though, I have been known to use a cheater pipe on a good ratchet to lengthen the handle and it helps much. I felt sorta like Hercules- the added leverage is impowering. ;). Make sure that key pin is all out also- once had one look like it was out, thought I had took it out earlier but... it wasn't .
keep extra glasses at the barn now.. collie

banjo

I got the castle nuts off with the help of the old dewalt electric. I am afraid I am going to have the same trouble bordercollie did about getting it loose though. Banjo

banjo

I have been going back through this thread trying to make sure I haven't missed too much. In post #17 I see that bordercollie has the hub off as the press is being used to get the axle out. Is that necessary? I think I really only need to replace the ujoint on that outside axel . I don't understand how this is all put together. Going to try to find the skematic . I bumped the hub with a hammer lightly, thinking it should come right off, but it didn't budge. I hope you kind folks won't put me in this category :beatdeadhorse5: .... I do appreciate your help. Banjo

banjo

I went to the Messicks page, and they directed me to the Kubota parts manual, so I printed off a copy of the diagram. The hub which Kubota calls an axle for whatever reason should just come off...but its stuck as well it seems...Its New Years day and not a lot to do but mess with this anyway...boy do I miss the rtv, and its only been down for about one day....Banjo

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Banjo I hope you have a good warm shop to be working on the rtv today. Maybe baby new years will bring you some luck and all will go well with the repair. I know that my buggie gets used around here daily and would be hard to function without it.:17875:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Banjo, I just got in from loading the feed wagon and moving feed troughs. The cows are demanding when its winter and even on Christmas and New Years Day.
I had to use the press because mine would not come off- not budge even and I tried all sorts of stuff. Most folks had no problem getting them to come off . If yours are way stuck though, and have a hydraulic bottle jack , you might could rig up something. I tried that too, before the press of my late Dad's, and used the multi ton feed wagon bumper and the little jack as part of my "get it off homemade press" but they were stuck and I mean stuck.... so my Dad's heavy press and a bigger hydraulic bottle jack came to mind and it worked... sounded like a shot gun when they popped loose . good luck , collie

banjo

I had a light duty gear puller...it didn't get the job done. Borrowed a better one from my neighbor ,,,as of yet it has not moved the hubs either...I am going to try to post picts. Here is where I am. Oh well that didn't happen. I have a couple in my album can't figure it out yet. Maybe latter....Looks like I am gona be building a press.....Banjo

aarkie

I put some break free on mine, removed the snap rings, and used a vise to take them apart. I opened the vise up wide enough to support the yoke on the bottom side. I then took a piece of square steel stock, a square chisel works,
and laid it flat across the top of the cross section of the yoke. Using a hand sledge hammer I started hitting on the square stock and drove the u joint cup out of the hold. Turned it 180 for the other side, then turned it for the other two. I think the shock from the hammer may break it loose better than a press.

banjo

aarkie I wish I was that far along. If you can access my pictures in the album you can see that I cant even get the hub off the bumper. I haven't taken the shafts off the side of the transmission yet, as I think that will go pretty smooth. I want to get the hard stuff done before I open up the transmission. If it don't rain me out tomorrow I am gona try to come up with a make shift press or take them some where and get them apart. Its like they are super stuck....Banjo

Mark.Sibole

Have you tried an air hammer on it?Noy an impact wrench so you dont get confused.An air hammer (like an air chisel but with the hammer attachment on it.) its not the hitting power of it its more the hard and fast vibration that loosens things up.If you have a compressor and dont own an air hammer one can be picked up at northern tool or harbor freight real chap.It is well worth having around for many projects.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/hammers.html

banjo

Mark I did get out the air hammer after you suggested it. No success yet. I made a make shift press and put a 20 ton jack to it as well...Couldn't get it centered just perfectly because of the way the bumper is made..it bent one side of my supports...one down the other up....need bigger componets I guess...am thinking about putting the heat to it...I was trying to avoid that, but its looking like I don't have a choice. I have never run into anything just like this before....Thanks for the support. This is a very helpful bunch of folks. Banjo

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Banjo, I got ahead of myself and talked about the noise the ujoints made but the bumper and the shafts were still hard and I did try 'bout everything.. I had used the feed wagon's steel , heavy duty bumper and the hyd jack to no avail on 'em. If you had access to some steel, you might could rig up a press using something like heavy all thread rods or similar. Just be sure to protect those threads on the shafts. collie

banjo

I have made a little progress. By using the electric impact wrench on a heavy duty gear puller and then alternating between using the small air hammer I have and bumping it with a hammer I did manage to get one hub off. Then I bumped the axle end with a hammer and drove it out...the bearing and seals seem fine. Is there any need to change something that is not broke? The machine only has 930 hrs on it so I was thinking maybe it will make it till next time. I got the bumper tied up on the end I got the axle off and balanced straight up and put a nice little pond of pb blaster around it to soak for a while. At least I know that they will come out. Banjo

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good going Banjo :tiphat: I replaced everything on mine but then ,they had 4x + the # of hours as on your machine. I would really look at the oil seals. though. They need to be excellent to keep out all the mud and water. collie

banjo

Here is some of my escapades :sorry for the side ways pictures, I am still trying to get the hang of this. I learned something...a hydraulic jack won't work up side down...at least this one wouldn't. I made this press out of some old concrete forms I had...It would have worked I think if I had used somekind of cross member that was stronger...It just bent that angle...Collie needs another thanks for helping me figure out the picture thing. Banjo

Attachments

• kobota repair 2.jpg
    kobota repair 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 146
  • kobota repair 1.jpg
    kobota repair 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Press up side down.jpg
    Press up side down.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 145
  • press.jpg
    press.jpg