RTV-900 Best overall tire for snow plowing

rapracing

I haven't made the final decision yet but after looking and reviewing this and other threads I think I am going to go ahead and put the grim reaper tires on my RTV-x1100c. Right now it has 25/10/12 ATV tires all around. I am considering going to the 26's. What widths would be best? Stay with the 10's all around or go a little wider on the rear or wider all around?

I am looking at getting them from all terrain online and getting wheels as well so it will be a quick swap in the summer to run the atv tires.

Will they mix tire sizes in their packages?

What are the most durable wheels?

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
My decision was made easy today on which way to go on tires or chains.

Yesterday, The temperature made 40 deg for the first time in quite a while. That gave me the chance to look over the 900 and clean some of the schmutz off of it. A good look at the tires on it showed modest wear but I found a long crack in one side wall and serious weather cracking on another tire.

I won't keep them with those issues so I stopped at Discount Tire this morning and discussed my tire options with them. Their website only had a couple of tires so I wasn't sure what I'd find but the young fellow spent quite a bit of time on the computer, turned the screen toward me and said "We sell these to folks that want the best traction for UTV's"

I said "Those are Grim Reapers", He asked "How do you know that?" I explained I'd found a website that recommended them highly and had been looking at them on the net.

He said $508 out the door and they'll be here early next week. Overall, I can buy them cheaper on the web but by the time I pay shipping and installation, The price seems fair to me as there are very few options to buy decent UTV radial tires in this area.

Thanks for the advice folks, Bob

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
And ,if the tires happen (rare) give you trouble, that fellow will help you with it. Good !! collie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
That is great !!!! They will serve you well !!!!

Shoot us a picture when they get installed !!!!

As you know, WE LOVE RTV PHOTOS !!!!

.......... two guns

Attachments

• Rat Feeding RAt.gif
    Rat Feeding RAt.gif
    135 KB · Views: 164

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Two Guns, That is the bil's butane JD 4020 . He bought it and a diesel 4020 in the late 60's or maybe 1970. One of them cost $7878 and one was a bit less. :) The butane has a front end loader and the diesel has a big box blade left on it so we can smooth up the road or feed lane when I don't do it with the small Case skid steer. To crank the butane in cold weather, we have to yank on the steering wheel real fast. We put one of the ...I forgot the right term... but it is a little valve to turn on it's line.. on the diesel one to take off pressure ..so it will crank easily. It really helps.. He made a canopy for them back when new.
There is a place up near Belzoni that has a collection of IH ( like 4)and one of the JD butanes all redone and sitting on the roadway.. but no signs just buckets on the exhausts.. pretty.. . collie

edit..mighty good details you are seeing.. you have a second job with the g'mt??? hahaha
The relief valve in the pump is not energizing, that is why you have to crank the steering wheel to start it. My 401C is the same way.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I have pushed a little snow over the last 45 years and ballast in the back equal to the weight of the plow or more makes a world of difference. I also am a big fan of chains. Load the bed of my 1ton 4WD level with firewood and put chains on the back and it will move some snow. I have chains for the front but rarely use them. Tuesday of this week I was pushing through drifts as deep as the hood on truck. I have ice cutter chains and have used them for 16 years now. Have a full set on all 4 wheels on the backhoe as well right now. We have so much ice underneath you can't move snow without them. Everything I shoved off today to make room will be froze like rock by Tuesday.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hi Two Guns, That is the bil's butane JD 4020 . He bought it and a diesel 4020 in the late 60's or maybe 1970. One of them cost $7878 and one was a bit less. collie

edit..mighty good details you are seeing.. you have a second job with the g'mt??? hahaha

We used to run the diesel JD4020's, open tops.
They were one of the best tractors ever made in my opinion. That and the IH 1466. There are many still running today. Many of the old 1466 is still used in the sweet potatoe industry in other parishes. They look old and ruff, but , For they are fast running tractors. When a trailer is loaded in the field. It can run to the turn rows so much quicker and unload and come back to the tater diggers ....

Of couse, technology has come so far in the farming industry. But I still think of the ways it used to be.
And them ways were so good !!!

........... two guns

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The relief valve in the pump is not energizing, that is why you have to crank the steering wheel to start it. My 401C is the same way.
Thank you Muleman! I will pass the word to bil on that.. It is getting a new starter next week.. (the butane) - special ordered.. Other than that and a leaking tank-needs a new cut off, ..... it runs...like a deer e . :tiphat:
Two Guns, you are right they just keep ticking.. They aren''t used much since we have the cab tractors ,but they will always have a place in the shed.. sort of like family.... edit to say, I agree about the good days of the past. I sure miss 'em and the good folks I knew then, now gone ahead of us.. I remember them and hope I never forget.. made me who I am.. :) collie

rapracing

I talked to Robin today at allterrainonline and his suggestions for tires were

1. STI RoctaneXD ...Anyone using them? He said they are a stronger tire than the Grim Reaper

2. GBC Dirt Commander....Anyone?

3 GBC Grim Reaper....Said it is one of his favorites

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The STI RoctaneXD looks so much like the BigHorns.

bczoom has them on his vehicle (bighorns)

.......... two guns

Attachments

• Smiley on goldwing.jpg
    Smiley on goldwing.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 113

rapracing

From all previous post I think the Grim Reapers are the preferred tire right now.

I agree with that but putting them on a 2400+lb machine is a consideration. He said any of the three would be fine. Dirt Commanders and Grim Reapers both at a 500lb =/- rating. He said the STI's are rated at 800lb +/- each.

That is the reason I am considering them if they are going to do what I need them to do. He said the Grim Reapers would do better in the heavy sloppy mud. I don't do much mudding

BaiJiu

I haven't heard anything about the STI's, but if they do what you want and the price is right go for it. I've never been hung up on any particular tire, seems every time I bought the best ATV tire available, the very next week everyone was promoting another tire. Consider what you need your tires to do and then figure out which tires meet that need. Also keep in mind RTV's aren't racing machines. Only buy tires that someone else can verify through reviews or ATV/RTV forums; don't ever go buy magazine promotions.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The STI RoctaneXD looks so much like the BigHorns.

bczoom has them on his vehicle (bighorns)

.......... two guns
They do look like my Bighorns. Mine have worked flawlessly. They're going on 9-10 years old and show now dryrot/cracks. I've never gotten stuck (but I don't take it in the deep mud anymore. They're easier on the yard or soft ground compared to a heavy tread tire.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I've had the Grim Reapers on for 10 days or so. I've only cleared about 3-4" of snow twice since then so I don't have a lot of input on traction but I'll have decent data later in the month when I get back on the property to move several trees that came down over the winter.

One observation though, is that they ride really well for such a big lug tire flat out on the paved road out front.

Some thoughts on the 900:

The Curtis plow is plenty tough as I've really hit some big ice chunks under the snow. Probably not a tough as some of the others discussed on the forum but still darn good plow.

The Kubota/Curtis mount is one tough setup. I know some plows fit in a front receiver but I can't imagine that hookup taking the punishment I've dealt to the machine.

Has any one figured out how to lengthen the plow lift arm to allow the plow a few more inches of lift. If not, I may give it a try this spring as I would like more lift.

I purchased the 900 because a good friend has one and he recommended it highly. It's everything he said it would be.

I've added a couple of shots. It's not fancy but it's paid for and mine.

100_1301_zpsd36f64dd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

100_1302_zpsbeba5fb7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bob

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
it that the Kubota mounting frame for the plow?I cant tell from the pics

Mike

I don't know enough about these machines to know but it looks much like my friends mount that came with his 900 directly from the Kubota dealer with the Kubota plow installed.

I like the mount as it mounts to the bumper mount and the frame section behind it. Very solid.

100_1304_zps35ec9425.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[URL=http://s258.photobucket.com/user/sweetolbob/media/Kubota/100_1305_zps05c64699.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/Kubota/100_1305_zps05c64699.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Bob

Mark.Sibole

OK it is the standard Kubota mount like mine.As you see where the plow frame coming from the plow to the mount is bolted onto the tear drop shaped part half way back is what stope the plow from coming up higher.You would have to have someone or yourself weld new tear drop tabs closer to the front so the bars will clear the reciever.It will make the plow assembly about 6 inches longer but will give you the needed height for ground clearance.Im conpimplating doing mine that way in the spring.I thought of addind a 25 degree cut to the bar and bend and reweld it but it would take away from the strength IMO.when doing inmspections to the plow and frame look close where the 2 bard come from the tear drop mounting and where they are welded to the main playe and make sure nothing is cracked there.Thats where the main stress is and Ive broken mine off 2ce in 8 years due to hitting ice after a thaw and freeze.In your bottom image it would be just on the back side of the swing lock handle..

Regards

Mark