RTV-900 Best overall tire for snow plowing

Mark.Sibole

From pics looks like yours is a little different design on the plow.What is the handle for that is next to the hydrolyc cylynder for?

BaiJiu

Great info Mark thanks, I busted my ATV plow last week after hitting a hunk of ice and I am trying to decide if I should buy a new frame/plow or get new one for the RTV which is what I would like to do but my wife has become attached to the RTV and says I don't want a plow on my machine. She used to like to plow snow with the ATV until she busted a couple of winch cables then she quit. I think if I had a nice hydraulic plow on the RTV she would get back into it and save me a lot of work. Anyone know the cost of better plows, Boss, Blizzard even Curtis, I have high windrows at times and would like a plow that can lift fairly high.

Kanook

BaiJiu....

If she enjoyed plowing with an ATV, she'll love pushing snow with an RTV. I could have and likely would have gone with a plow that operates off the RTV rear hydraulic outlets but....A deal came along on the Blizzard that I couldn't refuse that runs a self contained electrically operated hyd system. I would guess that a plow that uses the RTV outlets should be significantly cheaper as the cost for the electric/hydraulic would be eliminated...unless your RTV doesn't have the outlets installed (eg no hyd dump)...You don't necessarily have to install an aux set of outlets as the dump outlets can be used...of course the dump would be inoperative in this scenario..With the type of Eastcoast weather you get, I wouldn't recommend a winch (cheapest) operated blade....Just my opinion....Nothing wrong with the winch units, they are just slower and lack power angle which you need for the snow you get down there in NS.

BaiJiu

Thanks Kanook, I find it difficult to monitor blade location using a winch so I definitely want a hydraulic unit. My driveway is 3/4 mile long plus all the barns and trails I have to plow. I can do a lot with my tractor (rear blade) but that rear blade is a pain in the a$$. We get so much snow at times that I don't want to take the loader off my tractor to mount a plow (plus I have so many other jobs for the tractor). I think I need both. A candle light dinner isn't going to cut it, I need total costs to plan my strategy.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BaiJiu, I run my weed wiper hydraulic lift off of my dump bed hydraulic outlets on my 900. I did add a hyd oil cooler up under the hood. The fittings are quick disconnect so are easy to plug and unplug as long as there is no pressure on 'em. collie

BaiJiu

Thanks collie I appreciate the feedback, summer time I definitely require the dump box, winter time not so much, I use the loader for everything in the winter. So using the RTV hydraulics isn't an issue for me.

Kanook

Thanks Kanook, I find it difficult to monitor blade location using a winch so I definitely want a hydraulic unit. My driveway is 3/4 mile long plus all the barns and trails I have to plow. I can do a lot with my tractor (rear blade) but that rear blade is a pain in the a$$. We get so much snow at times that I don't want to take the loader off my tractor to mount a plow (plus I have so many other jobs for the tractor). I think I need both. A candle light dinner isn't going to cut it, I need total costs to plan my strategy.

Curious why you don't have a blower hanging off the back of that tractor instead??

BaiJiu

I thought about a blower Kanook but having to drive backwards all the time didn't appeal to me. We only get a couple of big snow storms each winter; most of what we get is in the 4-8" range and is easliy handled with the plow.

Kanook

I thought about a blower Kanook but having to drive backwards all the time didn't appeal to me. We only get a couple of big snow storms each winter; most of what we get is in the 4-8" range and is easliy handled with the plow.

I got rid of my rear 'pusher' a while back..There are 'draggers' available but....I get the distinct impression that you are looking for an excuse to hang a shiney new V-Plow off the front of that RTV.

BaiJiu

Kanook you are right that would be simpler for me all around, I use my tractor a lot even in the winter, the loader is in constant use and the back end normally has a logging winch hanging off it. Winter is when I like to get my blowdowns hauled out.

BaiJiu

So what happened here, I'm with Kanook. Talking about plows or plowing with plows, where did the thread go off track?

Mark.Sibole

I always like it when a thread get off track sometimes.You CAN learn a LOT when this happens.Its still all about RTVS so for me NO worries IMO.

doublejack

I am interested in comments about best traction tire for plowing snow on black top. Also, which of the Kubota tires (ATV or WS) is better for this application. Anyone with experience in this area?

Last edited:

Kanook

I clear residential driveways in the winter to fill the time (I'm retired) and also to augment my meager pension income. My RTV 900 equipped with a Blizzard plow and factory 'knobby' tires. The driveways are either paved or gravel (obout 50/50). The 900 has no difficulty with traction with these tires and I expect the work site tires would work as well in my situation. Some of the big operators and municipal users in this area that clear parking areas and commercial parking equip their tractors with turf tires for better traction on paved areas..They claim better traction than you would get from R4 or R1 as the tread patterns are similiar to truck winter snow tires. Mud type treads are not recommended for paved or hard surface snow pushing. The knobbies or work site would prove to be a poor choice for off road or mud applications....IMHO!

Hope this helps...btw ...last winter I cleared 18 driveways with the RTV and my B2650 cab model. The driveways are rural 'estate lot' from 100 to 250 feet long.