rtv 900 roll bar

rtng

Hi, I am thinking of buying 2005 rtv 900. Its a bit of a drive, and I have a trailer to haul it but according to spec sheets, its too tall. Just wondering if or how easily the roll bar can be removed thanks.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It isn't removable.. Sorry to tell you but it is part of the frame.
Which RTV?
I just went out to mine and it appears removable. I thought that's why they put the serial # on the ROPS so it can be matched to the VIN to show integrity (not swapped out).

Here's a couple pics of mine. Rear then front.
Rear (behind seat) then front (under the rubber boot above the fender)

Attachments

• CIMG0360.jpg
    CIMG0360.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 76
  • CIMG0358.jpg
    CIMG0358.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 75

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What I pictured is a 2004 WS.

Manual says they're 79.3" tall. What height do you have in your trailer? Wondering if taking air out of the tires may be enough.

Here's the Owners manual notes about the ROPS (saying don't remove it for safety reasons.

Attachments

• ROPS2.jpg
    ROPS2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 76

rtng

The door on my trailer is about 65", so deflating tires won't be enough, but sounds like the rops will come off... thanks.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Zoom is right I was wrong. take some penetrating fluid and you should be good to go. Congratulations on your purchase. collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
take some penetrating fluid and you should be good to go.
And a breaker bar, cheater bar and your 1/2" drive metric sockets. I just went out to the RTV again. Front ROPS bolts are 17mm. Assuming the rear are the same.

I put a 17mm wrench on one of them. It wouldn't budge so I figure you're going to need the breaker bar and maybe a cheater bar.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
And a breaker bar, cheater bar and your 1/2" drive metric sockets. I just went out to the RTV again. Front ROPS bolts are 17mm. Assuming the rear are the same.

I put a 17mm wrench on one of them. It wouldn't budge so I figure you're going to need the breaker bar and maybe a cheater bar.
Also, I'd take an adjustable crescent wrench along with a set of end wrenches or sockets. you will need an assortment to take off those braces pieces across the top that connects the front and rear rops.- those bolts/nuts are smaller but not sure of the size. You will probably need to take off the side's plastic or remove at least the top couple of allen type bolts, so you can get a wrench on the back side of the rops mounting bolts . If it has a top, that will need another sized wrench. :) collie

Attachments

• 1112151207.jpg
    1112151207.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1112151208.jpg
    1112151208.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 74

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doh! I forgot about the top ones. I have a ceiling so I never see them.

Wondering if you disconnected the 4 points where it attaches to the RTV itself if you can just lift it off in one piece. Does it have a windshield, roof or anything else or is it the bare ROPS?

ovrszd

Yeah, if you have floor space in the trailer, leave it assembled and just unbolt it from the RTV in one piece.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doh! I forgot about the top ones. I have a ceiling so I never see them.

Wondering if you disconnected the 4 points where it attaches to the RTV itself if you can just lift it off in one piece. Does it have a windshield, roof or anything else or is it the bare ROPS?

Good idea Zoom but I think it would see saw during removal 2 people it would probable do.. If disassembled , one determined person could remove it by themselves - I think . collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
rtng - Once you get there and remove it, can you reply to this post with your findings on the removal? What worked and what didn't? Pictures always appreciated.

I don't recall seeing a ROPS removal so this info could be helpful for future members.

BTW, sorry I didn't say it earlier. Welcome to the forum!

What State or area do you live in? If you're anywhere close to me, I'd loan you a trailer to haul it if you needed.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm a little late to the party but why not just rent an appropriate trailer. They're $50-55/day around here and several places rent them including a few really nice aluminum units. Bob