What did you do today with your RTV?

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Ran the RTV all around the neighborhood looking for cows on the run yesterday. Neighbor down in the hollow is on vacation. Amish guy's dogs run loose and got in the pasture and chased 3 beefers through the pasture fence. Will be interesting when he gets back home as he has warned them before about the dogs being in his pasture. We finally got them back home late in the afternoon. At least he has them used to the grain bucket and they followed the bucket right to the barn. We sure need some dry weather to get some hay made.

e40

Been awhile since I was logged in, so I'll start here. Did nothing with my RTV today. Got some work coming up for it, recovering from surgery for now. Still absolutely love this thing!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Around here, dogs that chase cows get a sudden case of lead poisoning.

To be honest, I don't think I've started my RTV in probably 3-4 weeks. Out of town for a week but it's too wet lately so chores are now done with an ATV and if necessary a trailer in tow. Neighbor drove his tractor (Kioti DK35) through his yard yesterday. You should see the ruts from the tires. I'm driving my lightest machines when it's this wet.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Out of town for a week but it's too wet lately if

It's so hot and dry here bczoom. Humid and so dusty.
Can't even tell you the last rain we had. Suppose to get some this weekend
is what I"ve heard ....

two guns

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
They sure have enough rain in Florida and Alabama and places north of there. We are getting there and cut my top hayfields today. Hope it stays dry enough to bale it.

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
got some wood today

got some wood with the kids today got kids helping!!

Attachments

• P1120589.jpg
    P1120589.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 111
  • P1120590.jpg
    P1120590.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 112
  • P1120591.jpg
    P1120591.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 112
  • P1120595.jpg
    P1120595.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 110

Heatwave

No rest for my RTV900: grandkids filled our house during this holiday week. First thing they want: "can we go riding on the mule?" Mule=RTV900, of course. I took them two at a time, bounding out through the woods, around the ponds, across the fields, along the tree line to check out the massive red oak that was blasted by a lightning stroke 3 or 4 years ago ... the kids are fascinated by the shattered, splintered trunk. There's another tree ... "the lightning tree" ... at another location. It was blasted quite a few years ago ... not much left except a tall trunk, maybe 40' high, riddled now with woodpecker holes. It's interesting how little things get stuck in kids' heads, what they remember, what they want to do and see again and again. Upon returning from our first sortie into the forest, my 4-year old grandson hugged my arm and exclaimed, "This has been a wonderful adventure!" It sure was.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Spent some quality time in the barn installing a radio. It looks good and it sounds OK but it's clear that Kubota didn't break the budget with their choice of speakers. Then there's the first test drive... yipes! Kind of hard to hear anything over the noise of the Kubota. I'm definitely going to have to spend some time working on a sound barrier of some type.

I took the dash off to do the wiring and ran speaker wires for the additional 2 speakers that I know I"m going to want before this whole thing is over. Also ran some wires to the front of the 1100 so I'll be able to switch the output to outside speakers.

What I was expecting to be a nasty job turned out to be dirt simple, thanks in part to the info contained here. So add me to the list of people that refused to be taken advantage of by Kubota and their ridiculously overpriced $500.00 add-on radio.

Attachments

• tn_radio 001.JPG
    tn_radio 001.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 108

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Squerly,

For the sound reduction, search the forum or start a new thread. Two Guns and I kicked this around awhile back and tried a few things. He found something that works but I don't recall if it worked best on vibrations or total sound reduction. I tried a couple thing with foam panels but in general, they didn't work.

"I took the dash off to do the wiring and ran speaker wires for the additional 2 speakers that I know I"m going to want before this whole thing is over. Also ran some wires to the front of the 1100 so I'll be able to switch the output to outside speakers. "

How many channels does that receiver have? Sounds like you're going to need a switch. How many watts per channel? (I had to add an Amp) for the larger speakers like you're probably considering for cranking it up when outside of the RTV's cab.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Mine is so quiet you can barely hear it running......hearing loss has it's benefits you know.:hide: Wife ran mine around pulling my snowmobile trailer to pick up hay bales from the field while I drove the pickup to do the same. The RTV sure is handy for so many things. At the rate we keep breaking stuff on hay equipment it has been a tool runner and drink getter also. Got a little road running in going to the neighbors for parts as well.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
How many channels does that receiver have? Sounds like you're going to need a switch. How many watts per channel? (I had to add an Amp) for the larger speakers like you're probably considering for cranking it up when outside of the RTV's cab.
Well I don't know BC, it needs a left and right speaker up front and a left and right speaker for the back. (total of 4) Does that make it a 2 channel?

Also don't know how many watts it has either but I'm sure it's going to need an amp. I have a real nice one (amp) in the barn that I bought from my son one day when he was needing some cash. I didn't need an amp right then but I figured that someday... :wink:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I squinted and pulled up the model # off your picture.
19 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels

That may be enough for inside the cab. For your outside speakers, you're probably going to use a pre-amp output off that receiver. Have the owners manual handy as there's probably a dozen wires coming off the back of that receiver.

Next time you're in the barn, get the mfgr/model of the amp.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Next time you're in the barn, get the mfgr/model of the amp.
Just went over and dug it out. It's a Sony, Xplod 1,000W 2/1 Channel Amplifier XM-1652Z. I'll probably hook it up to the 2 outside speakers and put them on a switch. My guess is it should be enough power to wake up my mountainside.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh boy... Careful with that one, it'll kill your battery pretty quickly. Carry your jumper box with you for awhile until you see how long you can run it before your RTV won't start. You may want to consider a deep-cycle marine battery.

Oh, and I took out the trash today with the RTV. That's the first time I've used it in close to 4 weeks.

squerly

Gold Site Supporter
Oh boy... Careful with that one, it'll kill your battery pretty quickly.
You think it's too much? I don't have to use it, I was only going to use it because I had it laying around. Not a problem to pick up an inexpensive 100-200 watt amp and use it instead.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lets see, Power = current * voltage
1000w at 12v pulls 83 amps.
I don't remember the output of the alternator but at 1000w, I don't know if it would even keep up if the engine was running.

I have a Sony xPlod sitting on a shelf as well. I don't think it's as big. Maybe I could box up that and the Sangean and get it to you. (I want to check the Sangean upstairs before I give up on it working in the valley).