Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovrszd

Parts can still be had but are pricey.I still need to rebuilt the alt and hopefully thats it till fluid change time.

Nice ole tractor. What year is she??

Last year I was looking for a second tractor and really wanted an old Massey. Started researching parts and was a bit disappointed.

So switched colors and bought a 1984 Ford 3910FWD. Parts are very available and it's turned out to be a great second tractor.

Attachments

• 20150306_141353 (1280x720).jpg
    20150306_141353 (1280x720).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 243

ovrszd

When the bed is full, drag what's left. Had to move this tree 1/2 mile to the split pile. Didn't wanna make more than one trip so blocked a bed load and then dragged the log.

Attachments

• 20151108_134756 (1280x720).jpg
    20151108_134756 (1280x720).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 229

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a heck of a load. Wish I could do that but my trails have a 100' drop off if you move off the trail. I can only haul what I can put in the bed... then pray on my way down.

Mark.Sibole

Last year I was looking for a second tractor and really wanted an old Massey. Started researching parts and was a bit disappointed.

So switched colors and bought a 1984 Ford 3910FWD. Parts are very available and it's turned out to be a great second tractor.

its a 1974 DB 990

David69

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 218
Richard,

That is one heck of a load...we had some high winds and rain the last several weeks..and had some big trees fall on fences. I pulled a huge tree with the rtv yesterday. Had to back up and get a running start..but got it going and pulled it to a big pile. Let my brother get the rest with the grapple on the skid steer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Mark,
Looking at your tractor...I remember loading thousands of round bales with the old multi-handle front end loader. I was really good at it. Now days it is one joystick that is 1" tall and you can speed up and slow down the hydraulics. Took me a while to adapt to the small joystick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 214

ovrszd

Jon, I rode a few rounds with my renter in the cab of his new very large JD combine last week. Like being in a space ship. The grain cart came and we unloaded while on the move using auger camera. Asked him how the cart operator knew to come? He said the combine lights start alternately flashing when the hopper is 3/4 full. :)

Richard,
Never heard of the new alternating lights but that is a good idea. I don't know when I get much older if I will embrace the technology or not...but here is a pic of my 89 year old grandpa checking the weather on his iPhone while sorting cattle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 206

TRIBUTE100

Some long needed trimming

My wife and I just spent all of last week except for Thanksgiving Day cutting some small trees, vines, and other underbrush that's been needed for several years. I probably had 20+ loads that I hauled up the hill to dump and this was the last load. I have a large hedge of hemlock trees that are dying out (wooly adelgid) along a driveway, but I've decided to have a tree service come in and handle those and chip them up.

When I first bought the 2010 RTV 900 about 2.5 years ago, my wife was not impressed thinking it was just a toy. She has grown to love it for its utility and uses it all the time for her flower gardening.

Attachments

• KUBOTA 2 11.28.15.jpg
    KUBOTA 2 11.28.15.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 136

ovrszd

When I first bought the 2010 RTV 900 about 2.5 years ago, my wife was not impressed thinking it was just a toy. She has grown to love it for its utility and uses it all the time for her flower gardening.

Hope my wife don't hear about this.... :)

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Spark Arrestors and Power Equipment

I noticed a loss of power in the Husky gas powered blower.. It got so bad that it would hardly even blow when the trigger was pulled. I decided to check the muffler's spark arrestor and it was clogged really bad. There is a little screw holding this on.It looked ok from the outside but when I pulled the screen completely out with the pliers, it was almost completely clogged -on the "hidden" part up under the cover. Now , after a good cleaning, it works like new. bordercollie

Attachments

• 1109151443.jpg
    1109151443.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 1109151359b.jpg
    1109151359b.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 1109151400.jpg
    1109151400.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 1109151437a.jpg
    1109151437a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 1109151441.jpg
    1109151441.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 86

David69

I noticed a loss of power in the Husky gas powered blower.. It got so bad that it would hardly even blow when the trigger was pulled. I decided to check the muffler's spark arrestor and it was clogged really bad. There is a little screw holding this on.It looked ok from the outside but when I pulled the screen completely out with the pliers, it was almost completely clogged -on the "hidden" part up under the cover. Now , after a good cleaning, it works like new. bordercollie

The importance of cleaning the spark arrestor on anything! Good point Collie.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Amazing

Shortened version of what happened to me last Spring
It had rained a lot and the pastures were very wet. I was concerned the RTV would get stuck when I needed to go in this back pasture to fix the electric fence. This area had standing water for weeks in places and was way back in the bottom land. The fence had to be fixed - the cows were coming in . Crops were coming up on the neighbor's land next to the electric fence. The cows were eager for some green nibbles- this was getting dicey . I grab some tools and my chain saw and take the 4wlr to do my job. I work with the saw... it starts to get late .Then, I come to a section of fence where I had large diameter vines shorting out my fence. I reach to the 4whlr and immediately realize that the chainsaw won't cut those vines without grabbing and I have left my long handled pruners on the RTV.... at home.. It is too late to go and get them .. too far.. and the cows have been let in the pasture.. It has to be fixed -they are about to challenge the fence as they reach for green nibbles ..
I put my hands on my face lean over and say. "Oh Lord what I going to do?? " " I sure need those long pruners- bad." Then, I raise my head and cast my eyes down the fence line as I ponder what to do . Suddenly, my eyes catch a glimpse of red maybe an inch wide, under the fence covered with decayed leaves. I go over and knock the leaves away.. there right in front of me is a pair of pruners lost 5 or 7 years ago..and they still worked ! I work and maintain on at least 750 acres of electrically fenced and cross fenced land. Those things could have been anywhere but there they were- for me when I needed them.. Oh wow.. Yea. I have had a lot of things like that happen. I call them Godwinks. :) judy

Attachments

• 0423151235.jpg
    0423151235.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 43

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome story!
I'm never that lucky. I would have either looked for a strap or chain on the RTV and ripped at that vine or fired up the chainsaw and eased into that vine at near full RPM. Your way was way better.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not having a good mental day.

Got an e-mail this morning that one of my best childhood friends passed away from a heart attack at 48, leaving behind a family with 2 children. :(

A heavy heart all day.

Then I heard this afternoon that one of my musical icons (Glen Frey of the Eagles) just passed away.

I do pray things don't come in 3's. I'm not prepared for another person passing away.

Status
Not open for further replies.