Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My 03 Lariot crew cab with a shell was paid for a LONNNG time ago. It has spent it's days pulling the Airstream, Hart horse trailer, and loads of hay from time to time.......All of that and its got all of 73K on it......
Not bragging, just sayin, no sense in some new things for this ol retired guy. I have way to many toys to share with my heirs already bought and paid for. Why not get some new types of toys for ME or heck, maybe a new mule or so to have fun with......God bless....Dennis

shinnery

My '96 Dodge ClubCab 2500 is going to have to last a long time. I bought it with 50K on it and it is now near 98K. That V-10 just keeps purring along. The one time I really loaded it (approx 19.5K) it didn't seem to worry a bit.
Bryce

SVG

I’ve got a ’96 Dodge Clubcab 2500 as well. Mine is of the Cummins variety.

No plans to ever get rid of it.

1HOTDJ

We have a 2000 Ford F-350 pushing 650,000 mile and have only changed the glow plugs once. The body is going to rust out before the engine. Bed is in decent shape, but the cab rockers are almost gone. Salt here in Western North Carolina is brutal. It pulls a heavy load quite frequently. Unfortunately we don't trust it on long trips anymore. We bought a 2011 F-350 back in 11' that it will probably be the last truck we buy. We only have 40,000 on it in 5 years.
God Bless & Happy Valentines Day! Or as we call it "Happy VD"

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Great day here today, just cold. I spent the day taking down some trees and working them up. Now I have room to fix the pad for new pole barn.IMG_0546.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was out in the shop yesterday and one of my projects was doing generator tests. The one genset was having a hard time starting which surprised me since it has a Honda engine.

Then I got to thinking about what equipment manufacturers I found most and least reliable. I never got to come up with that answer as my mind drifted over to how many different equipment manufacturers I have and how brand loyal I don't seem to be.

Not counting the name brands on the equipment itself, but just going by the engines, I came up with this list. There may be more but I didn't eyeball each piece of equipment.
Honda
Kohler
Briggs
Tecumseh
Subaru
Champion
Generac
Yanmar
Deere
Kubota
Suzuki
Stihl
Husqvarna
Homelite
Ford
Dodge
GMC
Audi

Do you find yourself sticking with particular brands or are you all over the board like I am?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Did you include your small equipment (chainsaws, log splitters, generators, pressure washer...)?

I need to remove Deere from the list. Remembered after posting that it's running a Yanmar.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Jamie is fine and running one of the most successful O'riely Auto Parts in the USA......Keeps him kinda busy; but for sure, am sure, still loves his RTV family......NOT SPEAKING FOR HIM; just know him for the gentleman that he is....God bless...Dennis

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Is spring just around the corner?

What does everybody think? Is spring just around the corner? I for one sure hope that spring will be early this year. Been busy doing things to be ready for spring when it gets here. Put out tons of lime, drilled grass seed and clover seed into the pastures around here, and when it pops up will put the fertilizer to it. The weather we have had this week in Georgia sure gives you the spring fever!IMG_0577.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice setup!

We're having great weather in the North East right now but that can turn quickly. If you can believe the long term forecast (several weeks out), they're saying we'll be going down below freezing several more times this month.

I won't be putting out any fertilizer until April. Spending the nice days we're having now doing clean-up tasks to get ready for spring. Took the snow tires off, picking up branches, ripping down grape vines...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here I'm seeing through next Friday the 18th mid 60's and 5 days of above 70, highest being 75. Nice. This will get us right up to spring. WoooHooooo. we about got this winter licked.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Two subjects:
ef freaking POLLEN....Not about the arthritis; but am disabled pretty good with it. Walking. carrying, bout anything that involves moving.......OK.....So, the rheumy doc has had me on Humera for the last couple of years. The stuff does STOP, the PROGRESSION, not the existing, spread of arthritis. So yes, it's worth taking so one does not get worse. What it also does is make you react to allergies that you never had before. Walk in the pasture in the fall and end up in the ER with anaphallactic shock......
So...the pollen season has just begun here in Georgia and it's called....can't breathe. We haven't run the heat pump in years and don't kick in the AC until it's in the 80's out. So, we have several weeks of NO WOOD STOVE and open the windows....GREAT, NO ELECTRIC BILL.........Left the windows open Sunday night and yesterday, swollen throat, sinus stuff, lungs full......on and on........So there goes the free AC for a few weeks.......

OK, END OF THE RANT.....thanks for putting up with me

Now, it's get out and reseed the pastures and get the fert down. Put down TONS.....TONS of lime in Oct and yes, seeded fescue and fert. My problem is my durn pastures are on hillsides of 15 to 20 degrees, so with the soil being saturated it doesn't take much to start run off........So, it's decide to get the stuff out for the rain coming on Saturday and Sunday and pray it doesn't get washed out like it is over in La, Tex, Ark and waste all the money, time, and energy.............

Question: Will fert, 20-5-15, get absorbed by wet soil......Thinking of getting seed out and down; but perhaps on a couple of pastures of 5 acres each waiting for the rain to just finish the hard part stuff and then go out and spread the fert on them.........

Or, go ahead, put it down, and pray it isn't hard enough to wash it away............

Ahhhhh life is good and God is even better. HE never said that HE would just give it to us like the gov does.........God bless.......Dennis

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Question for y'all.

I want to get a brush/rotary cutter for my 25HP tractor. I'm going with a 60". Any preference on brand? I'm currently looking at Bush Hog and Land Pride. Reviews on the TSC brand weren't too good so I was skipping them.

Would like to keep the weight around 500# and cost at around $2K so I'm not going to get something really heavy duty. Just want it for some relatively light work in the woods but don't want it to fail if it catches a stump or obstruction. If cost isn't prohibitive, I'll go with a slip clutch instead of shear pin setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.