Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toolman77

We have a 72" land pride, it has a stump jumper. Never have had any problems with it. The stump jumper consist of a heavy duty round plate that the blades are attached too. If you hit a solid object it allows the blades to swing out of the way. My vote is for a land pride.
Tim

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
BCZOOM ,I have a land pride bat wing ,two bush-hog brand cutters and a hardee brand 5' rotary cutter. I like all three brands. The hardee is the oldest of them and is still a good cutter. 83 model and have replaced the blades couple of times and built up the skids on the front bottom edge (a lot of the cutters now have replaceable skids that bolt on instead of weld on deal) but other than that have done nothing but grease it. Also bushwhacker is making some nice cutters. Here is a pic of the old hardee cutter behind the ford 3910.IMG_0146.JPG

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Dennis, I am going to wait till I see the seed that I drilled in coming up to put the fert out. Have been told if do it at the same time as seed that the Nit would be gone before the seedlings could use it. As for the wet soil taking the fert I would think it would but don't know for sure. These hill sides are a pain!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The county agent....YES WE HAVE THEM...along with the feed store guy, and the local "young farmers" fella........Don't know if you have a place where all the good ol boys go for their coffee, biscuits and gravy, and mainly gossip.......Anyway, I got mixed answers about the wet soil absorbing the NIT. It makes sense as if you put some fert on the concrete floor, within a few hours you see wet stains and then the stuff goes away............So, that is evaporation happening, and is it sucking into water saturated soil?.....That is the chance one takes. A for sure opinion is that NIT goes into the soil and stays there for 45 days. Yes, the first two weeks or so is the best. So, If one puts down the fert a bit later like you suggest, that would be the best thing for the young plants............
Watching the weather so one can time the WHEN is the tricky part for me. A couple of years ago got my seed down and it rained just right......Then I was ready to put the fert down and NO rain......April that year was totally dry and then when it finally started raining the seedlings were mostly gone and it was to late in the season to get seed down...........
Max, you mentioned drilling. Wish I could as with the trees and hills, I end up using a harrow of one type or another.....Not doing that this year as I have a good result from the fall seeding and don't want to destroy them, so am gonna just overseed........

What I have had best results with is using straw mulch goat poop from the barn/sheds where the goats overnight and stay on rainy days.........Spread that out over an eroded hillside where water control up slope got out of hand due to the HEAVY rains this year..........Most often this is put in a pile and used as a fert mix on the garden, shrubs, and lawn seed projects........IT GROWS......Enough....I talk way to much.....God bless......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The big chicken houses over in this area must be cleaned out every so often. That manure is the best stuff for pastures but it is so stinky to our citified neighbor- even though for just a short time- that we can't use it much- but it is the best for the dollar . It is slow release and beneficial to the soil too. The grass loves it .

Zoom, We have a John Deere batwing clipper which has worked well. I would look at the thickness of the steel in the top of the clipper deck. If they skimp there then I would look for one with a decent thickness. I would think it would be a key in the quality of the machine's ability to hold up . collie

ovrszd

BCZOOM ,I have a land pride bat wing ,two bush-hog brand cutters and a hardee brand 5' rotary cutter. I like all three brands. The hardee is the oldest of them and is still a good cutter. 83 model and have replaced the blades couple of times and built up the skids on the front bottom edge (a lot of the cutters now have replaceable skids that bolt on instead of weld on deal) but other than that have done nothing but grease it. Also bushwhacker is making some nice cutters. Here is a pic of the old hardee cutter behind the ford 3910.View attachment 10070

Max, how do you like your 3910?? I bought mine about 18 months ago. I really enjoy it. These tractors have a great personality!!! :)

Attachments

• 20150306_141353 (1280x720).jpg
    20150306_141353 (1280x720).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 94

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Richard I am crazy about the 3910. Bought it new in 1983 and has been a workhorse and still is a good ol tractor. Wish it was 4wd like yours would be handy on the hilly terrain I have. I don't see many of them 4wd around here they must have been special order deals. Yours looks almost new!
BCZOOM here is a pic of the land pride. There stuff looks to be built well.IMG_0535.jpg

ovrszd

Max, I was just looking for a 2wd in some model similar to the 3910 when I found mine.

It's not a Queen, but it's a Princess.

I figured you had yours since new. It would be hard for us onlookers to realize how much work you have gotten from that tractor for the money spent. I certainly hope my 2012 Kubota can pay me back like that!!!! :)

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a lot of hours on my TSC 5' rotary cutter/bush hog.......It does what I need it to do just fine. It's gone through some 2" stuff as I went through a blackberry patch that was a couple of years old with some gum and poplar that were in the 12' to 15' range.......Yes, it went through just fine, backed it up over the trees, came forward and they were gone.......I avoid at all costs fist size or larger rocks; but have crunched some and it causes me to say....SHUCKS....but, I don't see any damage to the deck or sides.......Maybe have 20 hours on it and cant complain.........

My 4' land pride finish mower has perhaps 200 hours on it. It goes over the same pastures that the bush hog does; but I use it for getting leaves off in the fall. I got some "mulch blades" for it and it really does a fine job with LOTS/ACRES of oak/hickory leaves that cover the grass and kill it if I don't get the leaves off.....No problems at all other than it uses LOTS OF GREASE on the wheels on each corner and the drives.........

To me, everything one buys has it's positives and negatives; but if maintained properly, pretty much anything can and does run a very long time. As some folks show on here and with my own practices, if you can get a part then you can keep it going like the
"EVERREADY BUNNY RABBIT".............God bless.....Dennis

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
A little off course from RTV's, but I have a question. Does the TSC or Land Pride rotary/brush cutter use a slip clutch or do they just use a shear pin? I have a Bush Hog and use a soft bolt as a shear pin (replaced it often when in heavy brush). I see Tractor Supply has a PTO slip clutch that fits between the tractor and rotary cutter. Anyone have any experience with this set up?
Keifer

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Keifer, it depends on what model land pride cutter you have. The land pride bat wing that I have has a 2 plate slip clutch while some of their single spindle cutters have a sheer pin or bolt. Do you remember seeing those cutters with a wheel and tire set up to act as a slip clutch? Maybe woods made some like that, don't really know. Anyway I like a slip clutch better than a sheer pin cause most time get to keep going and don't have to stop and hunt a bolt.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Max, I was just looking for a 2wd in some model similar to the 3910 when I found mine.

It's not a Queen, but it's a Princess.

I figured you had yours since new. It would be hard for us onlookers to realize how much work you have gotten from that tractor for the money spent. I certainly hope my 2012 Kubota can pay me back like that!!!! :)

Wow that tractor sure looks like a Queen! I notice it has the white stripe on the hood like mine. Do you know what year model it is? Would sure like to have one like that (like I need something else to keep up). If you ever decide to part with yours let me know.
I gave 10k for the 3910 in 1983. I see folks asking that much and more for those tractors today. As for your new Kubota, I bet it will outlast you and I both and the both of the 3910 tractors will probably outlast it. LOL I like Kubota tractors. We had one here and ran it for years with no problems and great service. Traded it for a JD. Several pieces around here with Kubota power in them. T300 bobcat, Scag zero turn mower, and of course the RTV.
Here is a pic of the RTV the day I brought it home. Due to all the kind folks here on NTT (especially Tailrotor his pics of his RTV looked soooo good I had to upgrade mine with a bunch of goodies) I took the RTV plunge with no regrets.IMG_0118.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A little off course from RTV's, but I have a question. Does the TSC or Land Pride rotary/brush cutter use a slip clutch or do they just use a shear pin?
The models I'm looking at come with either (your choice). I went with the slip clutch. I think it's about $100-150 more.

ovrszd

Wow that tractor sure looks like a Queen! I notice it has the white stripe on the hood like mine. Do you know what year model it is? Would sure like to have one like that (like I need something else to keep up). If you ever decide to part with yours let me know.
I gave 10k for the 3910 in 1983. I see folks asking that much and more for those tractors today. As for your new Kubota, I bet it will outlast you and I both and the both of the 3910 tractors will probably outlast it. LOL I like Kubota tractors. We had one here and ran it for years with no problems and great service. Traded it for a JD. Several pieces around here with Kubota power in them. T300 bobcat, Scag zero turn mower, and of course the RTV.
Here is a pic of the RTV the day I brought it home. Due to all the kind folks here on NTT (especially Tailrotor his pics of his RTV looked soooo good I had to upgrade mine with a bunch of goodies) I took the RTV plunge with no regrets.

My 3910 is a 1984 model. I gave $8500 for it and spent another $2500 in repairs and improvements. So I've probably got a bit more in it than it cost new. It's now a very solid tractor that will outlast me.

It's the only one I've saw in person. See some on the Internet occasionally. More common to see it's big brother, 4610, in 4wd.

Yeah, I have faith in Kubota equipment also. I've had my M9540 4 years with no complaints or failures. I use it very hard as a Utility tractor. With a Grapple on the FEL it's common to have a rear tire off the ground.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Alright, I know many of you get into the woods a lot for firewood. Many of us are on steep hills.

Am I the only one anal enough to take a leaf blower to my trails to remove the leaves? I get several inches of wet, packed down leaves and on the steep hills, they're so slick you can't even walk up the hill on them. I use a large backpack blower so it goes pretty fast (probably 800' per hour) and for me, I think it's worth it. I don't want my gravestone to read that I died sliding down a hill due to lack of traction. With the leaves gone, my trails also dry faster so I can get in there more often without putting ruts in the trails.

ovrszd

Alright, I know many of you get into the woods a lot for firewood. Many of us are on steep hills.

Am I the only one anal enough to take a leaf blower to my trails to remove the leaves? I get several inches of wet, packed down leaves and on the steep hills, they're so slick you can't even walk up the hill on them. I use a large backpack blower so it goes pretty fast (probably 800' per hour) and for me, I think it's worth it. I don't want my gravestone to read that I died sliding down a hill due to lack of traction. With the leaves gone, my trails also dry faster so I can get in there more often without putting ruts in the trails.

Heheheheheh.... You are the only one that I've heard of!!!

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
bczoom;119942. [I said:
With the leaves gone, my trails also dry faster so I can get in there more often without putting ruts in the trails.[/I]

For me, if I remove the leave cover, for sure I will get ruts due to not only digging out what the leaves were protecting; but the rain will for sure wash out any loose dirt I happen to dig up..........I would rather just leave well enough alone and protect that precious top-soil.......God bless.....Dennis

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
bczoom, like Dennis said I don't do anything to the leaves on the trails because I don't want to start erosion on the hills around here. So I just slip and slide down the hills.:bonk:

Status
Not open for further replies.