2006 RTV Rear axle question

abunk79

I am a long time lurker of the forum and y'all have helped me out a great deal. My father has a RTV with 5800hrs on it and 2 years ago the left rear axle stripped the splines at the hub. With the help of Bordercollie's posts I was able to handle the repair by myself. Here we are again 2 years later and the yoke for the inner shaft has broke on the right axle and I am trying to replace it. Every post I have read everyone says they remove the 3 bolts on the trans/differential and the inner shaft pulls right out. In my case, not so much. I don't want to have to fix anymore than I have to, but mine will not budge. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Does anyone know of a good place to get a repair manual for the 2006 RTV?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi abunk and hope to be of some help.
If I remember right, I used a sealant as recommended between the plate and the transmission case when I repaired mine. Used a sharp utility knife and made my way around where they meet and broke the seal . That sealant is there to keep the transmission oil from seeping out. It should come out once you have broken the seal loose, Just use caution while doing this so you won't mar that aluminium. You can get a manual at Messicks, or online at one of the big E places - it will be on a cd. You can also pm me for other sources. collie

Last edited:

abunk79

Wow! Thank you for the quick response. I've been looking around on the forum hoping someone would stop by. I think this is the third issue you have helped me with. I will head out and try it to see.

abunk79

Very nice Border. Worked perfectly! I just needed to put a little more "oomph" after I slid the blade around and off she popped. Thank you again!

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
BorderCollie ... What a great member you are to this forum. I'm sure you have no idea to the valuable information you pass along and the frustration you have saved.

While repair manuals are great to have, IMO, they are poorly written. Sometimes it takes experience to figure out what the real "fix" is.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BorderCollie ... What a great member you are to this forum. I'm sure you have no idea to the valuable information you pass along and the frustration you have saved.

While repair manuals are great to have, IMO, they are poorly written. Sometimes it takes experience to figure out what the real "fix" is.
I'll give a very strong 2nd to your kudos to BorderCollie. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mark.Sibole

Collie beat me to it lol.
Ive done it many times and it is an easy job.You will loose about a quart of fluid if you dont drain the trans.
Just be sure you clean both surfaces real good before you re aply a thin coat of RTV sealant when re assembeling it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We are just one big family here.. all eager to help each other and ready to lead a hand to help a buddy up out of the mire :) . I'm about as thick headed as a fence post sometimes but had great parents that took time to show me how to do things . I owe all I am to the Good Lord and for granting them to me for the time I had with 'em. Thank goodness I listened and looked at what I was told- most of the time anyways - still should have paid more attention- a lot more attention.
:tiphat: bordercollie