2008 Kubota RTV shift issue

Dallasconnell8

I have a 2008 Kubota RTV.
I purchased this recently and the previous owner said he always has to pull the dash override valve to change gears since it was new to switch gears. Is this correct I’ve owned newer ones that did not require this.
If I don’t pull the valve there is to much pressure to move gears. I thought the brake was supposed to relieve pressure.

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
On the newer ones the pressure relief is built into the brake pedal. I think the one you have they came up with a bridge solution before they redesigned the transmission.

Dallasconnell8

Yeah i was told the 2008 had different set up. I had a 2005-2006 and I didn’t have to pull the knob either. It takes two hands to even shift gears. Machine only has 125 hours so I didn’t know if it needed an adjustment of some sort

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
I would have someone work the knob and see if it has the proper range of motion. Not sure if there is an adjustment on it.

Reactions: Doc

v10rick

Site Supporter
I have a 2006 RTV with the same issue.
It's easier for me to just kill the engine to switch gears.
The pressure relief doesn't always work, while changing gears on a hill.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a 2006 RTV with the same issue.
It's easier for me to just kill the engine to switch gears.
The pressure relief doesn't always work, while changing gears on a hill.
I had an 06 RTV 900 and that is exactly what I did when I couldn't shift gears. Simple and it works.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
On my '04 when it wouldn't shift, apply the emergency brake pretty hard. Wait 5-10 seconds then it would shift.

SVG

Here's a little trick I learned for my rig. I believe it's an 06'.

When I want to shift I let off of the throttle and let it come to a stop. With the HST you will get a quick moment where the trans is unloaded. It happens when you have just stopped and you're getting that slight recoil effect backwards. Shifting during that very short window works well, for me at least.

I figured this out a few years ago while snow blowing. Lots of start/stop/forward/reverse in that. The method above really helped.