Always Hot Battery Power Lead

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Unless there is a substantial moon, our farm is darker than 10 feet down a well at night. Many times I've tried to find the keyhole or the glovebox knob in the dark and had to pull out my phone - if I had it - to make with the flashy light.

So some time ago, I bought a Kubota dome light. I know this is risky but I'd like to hook it up to non-switched, always on DC. That way, I can flip a switch on the dash to light up the cab. I am pretty sure I can feel my way to that.

I know there are some switched (only on when key is on) DC connections available under the hood.

Short of fused running a wire direct to the battery, anyone know of an always hot 12 volt connection under the hood?

Tony

Oldpath

Sounds like a job for Mr Multimeter, if he cant help then we all know where the hot wire is, then all thats needed is wire and maybe one of these in line fuse holder in case wire shorts out................

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been putting motion activated LED lights in key spots in the house where light is needed for a bit as you pass through or in bathrooms for night time so you don't need to turn on a bright light or deal with a night light on 24x7.
So I searched and they have 12v motion activated lights. If it were me I'd feel better with one of those so there is no chance of leaving it on by accident. In my search I even saw a solar 12v motion activated one, if your machine is outside enough that might fit the bill with no wiring needed. And it was only 10 bucks. Good luck Tony.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Isn't one of the wires to the ignition switch always hot?
Mrs. Zoom has also been putting the motion activated LED lights in our house. Plug them in via USB to recharge. I could see where these could work in the RTV but they may stay on the whole time you're driving due to the movement. There is an ON/OFF switch on the unit you could use to stop this from happening. They're also magnetically attached so you could just pull it off when driving and set it somewhere where it doesn't see motion.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Stick one of these somewhere (on the ceiling of the cab?) inside your cab. Motion detection/battery operated….lights up when you enter the RTV.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good idea Geo ...and here are the ones I was talking about we got them for in the house. They do plug in and work great.

Oldpath

"SMALL AND EASY INSTALL- Just plugging it into any standard outlet, you can use it in any place where you need it indoor. it is small and it won't obstruct the second outlet."
I Thought Pawpaw wanted a light for a tractor or RTV, might need an extra long extension cord for those lights..........

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The only problem with motion-detection lights is….. turning them OFF while driving if you don’t want them….then forgetting to re-arm them when you park the vehicle.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"SMALL AND EASY INSTALL- Just plugging it into any standard outlet, you can use it in any place where you need it indoor. it is small and it won't obstruct the second outlet."
I Thought Pawpaw wanted a light for a tractor or RTV, might need an extra long extension cord for those lights..........
Yep, I know. Just another handy item ...not a solution for the tractor light.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Well I have traced each power lead under the dash and none are "always hot." I tried sticking a touch light under the roof and that fell off the first hot day. So, I will be running a fused lead to the battery for the dome light. Also, a fellow member told me about a little LED that flashes constantly when 12vdc is applied. I will mount this alongside the switch so that its real obvious when the dome light is on. That little light is quite annoying when on.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Paw-Paw, the cigar-lighter/power-outlet should be “hot” all the time. (Mine had a blown fuse*…. it’s not a real 35 amp cigar-lighter like in the old-days….it’s really only a low-power outlet good for a few amps.) I use it for my cell ph charger but it should be capable of powering a dome light, etc.

* The little fuses in these RTVs are not what they first appear…they are actually a “Low-Profile-Mini” ABN-size.…not commonly found.
Here’s where I got a set: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BCHGBR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
I second the cigar-lighter/power-outlet suggestion. It's always hot as geohorn idicated. I, too, use it for a USB cell phone adapter/charger. Ideally a small LED light with dusk/dawn sensor could be just the ticket. It's easy to find 12v leds, not so easy to find one with the dusk-to-dawn sensor.

I'm not going to hijack the thread, but I'm looking for something similar.... But opposite... Lol... I'm looking to install a few light bars on my x1140, but I want them to only be powered when the ignition is on (and the switch too). Where is a good, strong ignition power source? (besides tapping into the ignition wires)

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
On the x1120, there is a ignition switched electrical harness wrapped with blue tape. It is located under the hood near the steering column and ebrake handle. I believe there is a bayonet style and a six way plug available or you can replace with your own connector. Hope that helps.