Another overheating RTV 1100

Overheater

So we've had a 2012 RTV 1100 for a few years now and it's worked great. Very first thing we did was put the swag turbo kit on it and haven't had any issues from it or the RTV itself until this summer. While driving recently, unbeknownst to the driver at the time it was overheating and the head cracked and warped. So we replaced the head with the latest part number, verified the fan and water pump were working, also made sure the radiator wasn't dirty, and got it running again. Same problem, engine temp runs for the red.

Currently have two theories as to what's causing it. First is a stuck thermostat. Not stuck completely closed or open but perhaps halfway. After running the RTV for a very brief period of time the radiator hose starts heating up. Well before when I would expect the thermostat to be open. Has anyone had this happen?

The second thought is turbo related. The turbo kit has been great but the one thing I didn't like since the beginning is it doesn't have an intercooler. So we have a water-to-air kit on order to install. I've read mixed things as to how much this impacts engine temperature. But dropping the IAT's by 90-100 degrees seems like it would have an impact on temperature to me. At the same time it seems odd that it's never given us an issue and suddenly this year it does.

Oh and the last thing. It has been running 70/30 antifreeze mix. Going to drain that out and replace it with 50/50 to see if that helps too.

Any thoughts or experiences on these overheating would be greatly appreciated. There's been several helpful threads on here in years past.

Thank you,
Rich

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've not changed a thermostat on a RTV but that seems to be the cheapest and easiest to try.
Once off you can test the thermostat in boiling water to see if it opens as expected. If it does you know that is not the issue.

Ppimpin83

I would also thrown 12vdc to the fan and see if it turns on if not the fan could be burnt up I don’t know the resistance reading on a factory fan but you could check that before throwing voltage. Also if you have a screen take it off and wash with dawn. Get a radiator washing wand easily found on Amazon that connects to your water hose and wash out radiator pressure washer will bend the fins. Which brings up another thing if the fins on the radiator are collapsed if so that’s a loss of efficiency. Of coarse water pump and thermostat but that’s about it is there a whining noise from the water pump at any given rpm if so your front seal is out sucking air replace water pump and thermostat before you do flush the radiator out fill with water put jet dry liquid gel in top off with water run 10 min drain then replace your water pump it will extend the life of your new one with out the grit wearing it down from your previous component

Reactions: Doc

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
Be sure to check the temp switch for the fan, my experience is that once they overheat the temp switch stops working.

Overheater

Thank you all for the responses. Turned out to be the thermostat. Just running it without the thermostat at the moment and going to get a new one ordered. But for future reference and anyone searching, an rtv 1100 with a turbo and no intercooler can definitely handle long drives at full throttle without overheating on hot days. Roughly 95 here in Georgia at the moment. That being said I do have an intercooler on the way to help make the power more consistent.

Thanks again!