Anybody use their RTV for recreational off road fun?

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
We are going camping in Maine this weekend!! Gonna scope out a few trails in the area. It's still mud season, and registration doesn't open up till the end of May, but it'll still be good for walking and hiking, and talking to some locals. If any of you guys are around the Denmark area and would like to give a little tour, we'd be very appreciative.

FTG-05

For those of you who use your RTV for fun, are you wearing helmets? If so, what kind of helmet?

I see "UTV" helmets with a big visor, but no face shield. I've always preferred a full face shield when I had motorcycles decades ago. Keeps the bugs, wind and bugs from hitting your face.

I'm +30 years out from helmet tech, Whatcha got?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I rode Hatfield and McCoy trails in WV and Ride Royal Blue in the TN mountains that both required a helmet. Wife and I both wore a half helmet. Didn't care for it. We only rode the easier trails. The ones marked 4 (very challenging) we had no desire to try. A couple guys in our group tipped their Honda Pioneers on the tough stuff. I do not wear a helmet on our rides around our property or back roads and trails in our area of SE Ohio. We are retired and ride slow to moderate. Not in any hurry.

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
We use Street and Steel from cycle gear. Being in a fully enclosed cab, full face isn't necessary. No bugs and still wanna hear the music, so we chose a simple half helmet. Legal requirements like Doc said.

Reactions: Doc

TNOrange

Most of the time my RTV is a work machine. Hauling firewood, rocks, dirt, and trailers seems more often than not. And it does a great job. If I get lucky once in a while I get to bring it to my brothers farm, about 54 acres, to give it a bit of a workout on some well groomed trails. But even there I'm limited to a couple of large loops, and small connector trails. Some of it is still wilderness and inaccessible.

Since 4 wheelers are prohibited in all public land where I live (Connecticut). I was thinking about trailering and registering to a more friendly off-road state like N.H. or Maine for some fun and vacation.

How many of you guys take your RTV's off-road recreationally? Do any of you guys live in New England or nearby and can recommend some places to explore? Also what mods if any did you make to your machine for ultimate performance on the trail?

They look like they are having fun off roading

Bota Fett

Site Supporter
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about!! They look like they had a great time. That drone shot was very cool. Thanks for sharing.(y)