Battery Update

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
The battery on our Kubota BX2230. It is a 2005 model so I assume it has lasted 15 years. I run Battery Tenders on all our equipment but the cold snap finished it.

It was a DEKA battery and was according to the original label, was manufactured by East Penn manufacturing of PA.

I am a price checker so I checked a number of places including the Kubota dealer. My dealer was honest and said their replacement batteries are made by Interstate - which is fine battery - but the made in Japan DEKA is not available due to FDA regulations on lead content.

During my search, I found battery prices for a group 26R battery averaged about $130. I tried a Batteries Plus store and they had a direct replacement which was labeled as the Duracell brand. I spoke with the store who confirmed what we have heard many times - just a few manufacturers make batteries sold in the U.S. and a variety of labels are put on them. I would not normally think of this place for ag batteries but they were mighty good to work with.

What made this worthy of passing along to everyone is that this "Duracell" labeled battery is also manufactured by East Penn, the same folks who made the original DEKA. With lead being the principal component of the battery, I tried weighing them. The Duracell weighed four ounces more than the DEKA. So I decided to take a chance on it.

The battery retailed for $137 but because I had a business account, it was $100.99 plus tax. The BX turns over just fine and I hope this battery lasts several years. Is it as good as a DEKA? I doubt it. But we will see. Hope this helps you.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was amazed at how long my original battery lasted in my 2002 Grand L 3010. 15 or16 years I think, but no matter I shopped around a bit I went with the same battery from my Kubota dealer. It was around 145. So far so good. I never put a battery tender on the first battery. Just this year I added a battery tender to the tractor. Can't hurt. I have one on all my ATV's, UTV, Mower, Boat so why not have one on the tractor? :thumb:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, and I support the RTV and a Kubota B series tractor, the direct replacement for Deka batteries is their manufacturer/distributor.......VOLTEC. I have been totally happy with these batteries because they last a very long time and dont need a bunch of maintenance. The original RTV battery lasted like 7 years or so and I just now replaced the 2002 tractor battery. Good enough.............

Reactions: Doc