Bed Liner Advice

TechJunkie

So my search for an X1140 may have come to an end, however, as has been the case on every deal so far, it comes with a "but". I have called so many Kubota dealers I am probably on a do-not-call list. haha. One of the dealers I called three weeks ago called me this afternoon and said he just had two hit his dock unexpectedly and asked if I was still interested. The only caveat is that the two he got in are not bed lined from Kubota. Should I be concerned about third party bed lining? I know that area John Deer dealerships have Rhino Liner installed on their Gators by a company in this same town. A tech at the Kubota dealership mentioned that they have used someone local in the past, but didn't mention who, and that they also bed line in their shop. I won't know until tomorrow if they would intend to line it themselves or outsource it to possibly the Rhino Liner dealer. Anyone with an opinion on whether the Kubota bed lining is better/the same/worse than a Rhino lining or third party lining?

I have a few concerns about a third party bed lining due to the uniqueness of the X1140s bed. There are a few more areas to pay attention to such as the shelf where the bed folds and the hinges where the sides fold in. Then there is the issue of the tie downs. I don't know if they bolt on or are riveted and bed lining over them is a no-go.

I should have a quote in the morning and if it is reasonable I am inclined to move on it if I can resolve the bed lining concern. I am hoping you RTV owners with experience and sage advice can bring light into the darkness on this issue!

Hunter11

If mine had not come with the Kubota liner already installed I would not of had an issue with it being Rhino lined. As long as the shop installing it knows what they are doing I would think it would hold up just as well as the one installed by Kubota. I will try and look in the morning as to how the tie downs are installed. Having a third party install a Rhino liner as long as their price was within reason of the option from Kubota would not be a deal breaker for me. JMHO

ItBmine

Well, you absolutely want bedliner material in it. The biggest mistake I have made in the last several years was letting my Ford dealer talk me in to a plastic liner in my F150. Next summer I'm taking that slippery, ill fitting piece of crap out and getting my box sprayed by them.

AS for your concerns.....as long as someone good sprays it you should be ok. But they may have to unbolt panels to do it right? Because even in my factory sprayed bed, it is so thick even the tailgate latches are very tight.

TechJunkie

If mine had not come with the Kubota liner already installed I would not of had an issue with it being Rhino lined. As long as the shop installing it knows what they are doing I would think it would hold up just as well as the one installed by Kubota. I will try and look in the morning as to how the tie downs are installed. Having a third party install a Rhino liner as long as their price was within reason of the option from Kubota would not be a deal breaker for me. JMHO
Thanks Hunter. I guess my biggest issue is it being applied in similar fashion used at the factory. Same surfaces etc. I saw some examples where people had it applied after market and only the bed was done and not the other surfaces. Also a concern is the comment the tech made that they install spray in liner in their shop. That can be good or bad depending on experience. I have some questions for the owner tomorrow as the liner is part of the package he is supposed to be pricing. I am half thinking to price it myself and choosing who does it to my specifications and not rely on the dealership communicating my wishes to whomever installs it. Finding one has been a significant challenge and this dealer is only 45 minutes from me so that may be a win.

TechJunkie

Well, you absolutely want bedliner material in it. The biggest mistake I have made in the last several years was letting my Ford dealer talk me in to a plastic liner in my F150. Next summer I'm taking that slippery, ill fitting piece of crap out and getting my box sprayed by them.

AS for your concerns.....as long as someone good sprays it you should be ok. But they may have to unbolt panels to do it right? Because even in my factory sprayed bed, it is so thick even the tailgate latches are very tight.
ItBmine, ABSOLUTELY! I must have it lined, that is non-negotiable. I have the factory liner in the F150 I purchased last year and if not I would have insisted on a LineX or Rhino liner. I agree on the "someone good sprays it" but knowing that they are good is the challenge. I agree with asking if the panels will be unbolted and sprayed. The thickness on the X1140 would be an issue as the side panels have to swing across the bed to convert it. I will be sure to discuss this with the dealer when he calls with the quote tomorrow and feel him out. He is the first dealer I have encountered who has ordered them without the bed liner so maybe he has experience and confidence in the people and process they use.

ItBmine

Good plan. Feel your dealer out. But as others have said...if they don't remove the tie downs and be mindful of moving panels I'd keep looking.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The 1140's bed is unique, so I understand your concern. This time of year if you would not be using it much and if one with Kubota installed bed liner is due in Feb I might consider waiting.

If you have someone spray it on be sure to expand the bed and shorten it before you leave the shop. Open the tail gate and test all moving parts. I'm sure they could do a good job for you but they have to see how the bed extends and folds up to understand the movements. I would want the dealer to stand behind it in case they screw it up somehow and you are not happy with it you don't have to deal with it. Good luck. Pretty exciting. It would be a awesome Christmas present. :D

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I’ve had bed-liner installed in truck beds and on contractor ”headache” racks….
I recommend you have your local liner-guy do this…the Kubota dealer is unlikely to have equipment to do the job unless he contracts it out…to the local guy, then adds his mark-up.
The rattle-can spray-on stuff is not as durable as the pressure-sprayed-and-baked process.

If you are concerned about special areas of the bed or brackets, tail-gate, etc…. then talk directly to the local liner-guy so that you are both on the “same page”. Also, that local liner-guy…he’s been in business for awhile locally…right? (He’s not a “traveller” …is he? …then he’ll be there to warranty or repair any damage you can do to it.)

The local guy where I live does great work…and the detailed work he did on my contractor-rack is amazingly durable. I can’t seem to hurt it …and believe me, I’ve tried.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not sure about Kubota, but I believe, that all domestic truck manufactures have their OEM bedliners done by third parties.

Personally, I can't see any reason a third party installation properly done would be a cause for concern.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not sure about Kubota, but I believe, that all domestic truck manufactures have their OEM bedliners done by third parties.

Personally, I can't see any reason a third party installation properly done would be a cause for concern.
That’s also what I’ve experienced. When my pickup was damaged during a trip the tailgate had to be replaced. The dealership body-shop sent it out to the local liner-guy who did the bed-liner treatment to it. I slide a lot of junk across that tailgate and it refuses to be damaged... very durable.

pioneer

While my preference would be the factory bed liner, if I were in your position I would go ahead and buy now and then have a reputable after market installer do the bed liner. Reason being is that when I was recently shopping for my x1140, multiple dealers I spoke with said they are expecting a price increase in the new year.

ItBmine

I always watch the Kubota Canada website and I've been watching prices go up twice over the last two years. everything has gone up 2 to 3 thousand over last two years. I got lucky when I bought my RTV that my dealer Northshore Tractor honored a year old price quote for me.

TechJunkie

The 1140's bed is unique, so I understand your concern. This time of year if you would not be using it much and if one with Kubota installed bed liner is due in Feb I might consider waiting.

If you have someone spray it on be sure to expand the bed and shorten it before you leave the shop. Open the tail gate and test all moving parts. I'm sure they could do a good job for you but they have to see how the bed extends and folds up to understand the movements. I would want the dealer to stand behind it in case they screw it up somehow and you are not happy with it you don't have to deal with it. Good luck. Pretty exciting. It would be a awesome Christmas present. :D
Doc, I have never had to try so hard to give someone my money! It is true that I won't be using it all that much during the winter. My biggest problem to be honest is myself. I am pretty particular with my equipment. Drives my wife nuts! If it isn't right it will be a major sticking point with me. Another concern is the dealers I have talked with this week have all said Kubota has announced their price increase and it will add another 500-600 to the machine if you can't find one to price lock before the end of the year. I would price lock if I could find a dealer who has some reasonable idea when they might get one in with bed liner and steel rims. :pat: This unit is exactly what I am looking for except the bed liner.

It has always been something. Unit was ordered with aluminum rims and won't swap for steel rims with lugged tires, and don't know when they will get it. Has steel rims and won't swap for lugged tires, and don't know when they will get it. Will make the modifications and won't get it until June 2022, but no guarantees and wants the money for all accessories now. Unit should be here Jan/Feb but wants 1,000 more than everyone else, and then admits they aren't sure they are actually going to get it Jan/Feb could be later. (I realize the dealers are in a bad spot)

Sorry for the rant, I think trying to buy an RTV has become more frustrating than my job!
The bed tie downs on mine are bolted down so no issue with them being remove to spray yours.
thank you Hunter! Glad to know

ItBmine

You sound like me TechJunkie. I can't even stand the thoughts of bringing my vehicles in for warranty work because I KNOW that when I get them back I will find a mark, or something dirty or something just just drives me mental.
I don't even like adding aftermarket accessories for just that reason. Ya I know, I'm sick. LOL

Well, I hope you can find someone you can trust to spray it so you can buy that one and be done with it.

TechJunkie

Thank you for all the useful advice. It looks like I will be able to make a deal on this unit after all. The dealership does apply the bed liner. According to the owner they order them without the factory bed liner intentionally for stock. They sell a lot of their RTVs commercially and based on use not all wish for the bed liner. They used to send them out to be lined commercially but decided they could do a better job themselves and invested in the equipment and have been doing it for a number of years. The owner even went over the process with me in detail especially about the X1140 and how they take the bed apart and focus on doing it right including the prep which he said is critical. In fact they line all metal surfaces of the bed: top, bottom and sides. He even went into detail on how they ensure the hinges of the sides are addressed to ensure they operate freely after being lined so the metal doesn’t fatigue.

Overall I am pleased with his answers and hope my confidence isn’t misplaced. He assured me they haven’t had any issues over the years they have been doing it in house and should I have a problem they would make it right. He also beat the lowest bid I have received so far by a couple hundred dollars so that is nice as well.

Now for the wait on accessories!

Last edited:

TechJunkie

You sound like me TechJunkie. I can't even stand the thoughts of bringing my vehicles in for warranty work because I KNOW that when I get them back I will find a mark, or something dirty or something just just drives me mental.
I don't even like adding aftermarket accessories for just that reason. Ya I know, I'm sick. LOL

Well, I hope you can find someone you can trust to spray it so you can buy that one and be done with it.
Two peas in a pod! Same sickness! When I get my vehicle serviced or new tires I pull it out while still at the dealers and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I even take pictures of it before I release it for service so if it comes out with a dent or scratch it didn’t go in with I have proof. HAHA. We need HELP!

ItBmine

Two peas in a pod! Same sickness! When I get my vehicle serviced or new tires I pull it out while still at the dealers and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I even take pictures of it before I release it for service so if it comes out with a dent or scratch it didn’t go in with I have proof. HAHA. We need HELP!
Pictures are good! I recently submitted a corrosion warranty claim to VW because my wifes Tiguan got a little bubble in the tailgate. VW agreed to give me a brand new tailgate but it had to be painted. So local dealer (Northside VW/Toyota....the ones who put their hoist through the floor of my wifes previous Jetta doing an oil change and didn't come good for it) said I had to have it done at THEIR body shop (Carstar)
Anyway I had just fully detailed it before I dropped it off so I took a bunch of pics because it looked so good. Well those pics came in handy because when I went to pick it up I discovered they put a giant scratch in the quarter panel and they glued the rear glass back in crooked.
Of coarse they tried to deny it.....but I had pics of it IN THEIR PARKING LOT when I dropped it off scratch free, LOL

TechJunkie

Pictures are good! I recently submitted a corrosion warranty claim to VW because my wifes Tiguan got a little bubble in the tailgate. VW agreed to give me a brand new tailgate but it had to be painted. So local dealer (Northside VW/Toyota....the ones who put their hoist through the floor of my wifes previous Jetta doing an oil change and didn't come good for it) said I had to have it done at THEIR body shop (Carstar)
Anyway I had just fully detailed it before I dropped it off so I took a bunch of pics because it looked so good. Well those pics came in handy because when I went to pick it up I discovered they put a giant scratch in the quarter panel and they glued the rear glass back in crooked.
Of coarse they tried to deny it.....but I had pics of it IN THEIR PARKING LOT when I dropped it off scratch free, LOL
You sir just made my case. Good for you! We still need help! Haha