Can a 30hp tractor run a 7ft rototiller?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Local rental shop has a 7ft rototiller for 60 bucks a day. I'm thinking about renting it, but not sure if my Kubota could handle it.
Has anyone tried something similar?

jwstewar

Staff member
My gut would say no. I run a 5' on my 24 Horse NH and it is more than the tractor really wants, but it does do it. My neighbor runs a 6' behind is 36 HP Long. If you are in virgin clay, I would say it wouldn't do it. But if it has been tilled in the last few years and the soil is sandy you might be able to get by with a couple of shallow passes.

Mith

Depends what you are doing Doc. If its been dug before I would probably try it, anything hard I don't think it will be up to much. $60 isnt a bad loss if it doesn't work out.

Check the weight though, they can be pretty heavy particularly when covered in mud. I would have thought that your Kubota would have plenty of lift though.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is a new garden, never tilled in over 10 years. 25 years ago my whole yard was a tomato field. 5 1/2 ft or 6ft one would be perfect as they would cover my tracks. But no one rents that around here. Dang it.
I might dig up the area with my FEL and then try the 7 footer.

shvl73

Seems a little much but, I'd try it. Does it have adjustable skid shoes? If so, initial shallow pass, then increase depth. Good luck.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to stop by and see it tomorrow, as long as someone does not sneak in and rent it between now and then.

mobilus

Doc, if you hear a chattering when you start using it, adjust the toplink. I thought I was having serious tranny issues at first. I second the multiple pass approach. My tiller is a five-footer. Good luck!

Erik

why not use the rippers on your box blade to do the initial breakup of the sod, then follow with the tiller?

PBinWA

Also, make sure it comes with a slip-clutch or else get a lot of Grade 2 sheer bolts you want to make sure that your tractor doesn't get damaged. A good slip-clutch on the PTO shaft will do wonders when you hit a big rock.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, if you hear a chattering when you start using it, adjust the toplink. I thought I was having serious tranny issues at first. I second the multiple pass approach. My tiller is a five-footer. Good luck!

Thanks good tip mobilus.

why not use the rippers on your box blade to do the initial breakup of the sod, then follow with the tiller?

Already did just that. Got a little seat time yesterday tearing up the area. Wife got home and said "What a MESS" :eek: :yum:

Also, make sure it comes with a slip-clutch or else get a lot of Grade 2 sheer bolts you want to make sure that your tractor doesn't get damaged. A good slip-clutch on the PTO shaft will do wonders when you hit a big rock.

Good info PB. I know the importance of the shear bolt. I assume this one has the slip clutch ...but I won't find out anytime soon. My bro called and said his bolens that has the rototiller I was originally going to use is back in action. So I'm stopping by to get it later tonight.

spasmcreek

i use a 5' behind a 18-20 hp & run it at only fast idle will chew up everything & leave it ground & smooth ...trick is to go slow (creep) & let it work without forcing ...will do gras without ripping first

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
i use a 5' behind a 18-20 hp & run it at only fast idle will chew up everything & leave it ground & smooth ...trick is to go slow (creep) & let it work without forcing ...will do gras without ripping first
Good to know. Thanks. I do think I could run the 7ft. maybe next season. :thumb: