Changed Backhoe Control Pattern

ItBmine

There's probably threads or videos about this, but in case anyone is interested I just finally got around to changing the control pattern on my Kubota BH65.

I run all Cat equipment at the mine, but when I come home I had to run the ISO (Deere) pattern on my backhoe. While I can run both, SAE (Cat) just feels more natural to the movement of my hands while digging.

Very easy to do. My hoe is the BH65, but pretty much every Kubota backhoe I have looked at has the same color coding on the lines.
You just need to switch the orange and yellow lines (top to top, bottom to bottom) and that's it. Almost no oil leaks out.

Just make sure that if anyone else uses your backhoe they need to be made aware so they don't look at the pattern stickers.

Attachments

• Before ISO.jpg
    Before ISO.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • After SAE.jpg
    After SAE.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

ItBmine

Disclaimer: One thing I'm not sure about......my dealer said to be careful as the two different valves may have different relief valve settings.

I tried operating my hoe and it all seems to function and have the same power. So don't listen to me, make your own decision, LOL

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I thought most / all just had a setting that would switch from one mode to the other. My Kubota KX033-4 excavator had a easy peezy switch. I started out with cat settings and agree they seem more natural but that is probably because I started with that set up.

ItBmine

I thought most / all just had a setting that would switch from one mode to the other. My Kubota KX033-4 excavator had a easy peezy switch. I started out with cat settings and agree they seem more natural but that is probably because I started with that set up.
Most excavators and mini-ex's do Doc, but not these small SCUT and CUT backhoes.
Cost savings I guess?

I should have bought a mini-ex, but had to learn the hard way. I mean the backhoe is absolutely better than digging with a shovel, but nearly as productive as even the smallest min ex.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I looked at both options and ran into a deal on the KX033 that I couldn't pass up. I got most of the work done I had envisioned for it then sold it and actually made a few bucks.
Trouble is I thought of other projects I'd love to have one again, one I could keep long term but that is not in the realm of possibilities right now. Dang it.

ItBmine

That's a bummer Doc. Would have been nice to keep that. Those are the two I like....the U27 and KX033. But my dealer screwed up and talked me into a backhoe he had sitting there unsold, when he could have talked me into a mini-ex. LOL

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wonder if he'd let you trade it in on the U27 or KX33?
the KX033 was the perfect size for me. I didn't need to get into any tight places so the extra weight on the back was handy for balancing.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I bought a lightly used U35 Kubota cabbed mini with a/c ( 400 + hrs) and with the adjustable angle blade last August. I really haven't got to use it much though. I thought I could do some real work with it but ... the bil's favorite infatuation (big cat 320) does most of the work on our wind blown trees. It's like a giant and many of those trees need a giant.. the u35 is Volkswagen sized in comparison but the U35 will fit where the big yellow won't -at least. I operate a Cat skid steer almost daily but use the Kubota controls. I may change though.

Attachments

• image U35.jpg
    image U35.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 6

ItBmine

Wonder if he'd let you trade it in on the U27 or KX33?
the KX033 was the perfect size for me. I didn't need to get into any tight places so the extra weight on the back was handy for balancing.
I'd probably have to sell the whole tractor which I am never going to do. I wouldn't think there would be many people looking for a backhoe for an out dated model.
I get attached to my tractors. I add to the collection but never part with any of them.

Reactions: Doc

ItBmine

I bought a lightly used U35 Kubota cabbed mini with a/c ( 400 + hrs) and with the adjustable angle blade last August. I really haven't got to use it much though. I thought I could do some real work with it but ... the bil's favorite infatuation (big cat 320) does most of the work on our wind blown trees. It's like a giant and many of those trees need a giant.. the u35 is Volkswagen sized in comparison but the U35 will fit where the big yellow won't -at least. I operate a Cat skid steer almost daily but use the Kubota controls. I may change though.
I see a Mack R Model!!!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good eye ItBmine. :) That's one my bil bought used with the dump so the farm could be cleaned up from all the storm damage of the past years. I think it an '85 model. It's rough as a log wagon but it runs good. :tiphat: collie

ItBmine

Nice! I ran this 1988 for many years. The R was my favorite truck ever. They don't make them like that any more.

Attachments

• Mack R model 1.jpg
    Mack R model 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 4
  • myr3 (Small).jpg
    myr3 (Small).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

ItBmine

Well, after loading the RTV for a few hours and hauling dirt up to one of my big hills that washed out again, I went up and did a bunch of ditching.

So far so good. If there is any difference in relief valves between the two valves I swapped lines on, it is not detectible. Nor did it cause any issues so far.

Attachments

• 20220911_122321.jpg
    20220911_122321.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220911_122359.jpg
    20220911_122359.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220911_122630.jpg
    20220911_122630.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220911_123048.jpg
    20220911_123048.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What size Kubota do you have that hoe on? Is it a sub frame mount? How hard is it to take off and put on the tractor?

ItBmine

It's a 2013 B2620. The forerunner to the current B2601. Yes it is a subframe mount. It's easy to take on and off. You use the boom to lift itself on and off. Most time consuming part is un-pinning and removing the lift arms and top link.

I have both the power beyond for the backhoe and one rear remote on this tractor.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice.
I have a 2002 Grand L 3010. No rear remotes though. Tried to buy them and one dealer said they no longer sell the one I need. That didn't sound right but I didn't dig into it at the time. Sure would be nice to have a 'hoe' again. :D

Dsimonson23

There's probably threads or videos about this, but in case anyone is interested I just finally got around to changing the control pattern on my Kubota BH65.

I run all Cat equipment at the mine, but when I come home I had to run the ISO (Deere) pattern on my backhoe. While I can run both, SAE (Cat) just feels more natural to the movement of my hands while digging.

Very easy to do. My hoe is the BH65, but pretty much every Kubota backhoe I have looked at has the same color coding on the lines.
You just need to switch the orange and yellow lines (top to top, bottom to bottom) and that's it. Almost no oil leaks out.

Just make sure that if anyone else uses your backhoe they need to be made aware so they don't look at the pattern stickers.
Hi would you mind sharing what type of wrench you used to get the valve hoses loose to swap them?

ItBmine

Hi would you mind sharing what type of wrench you used to get the valve hoses loose to swap them?
I just used my regular open ended wrenches. I can't remember the size at this time, but you have to take off more lines than the two you are switching, and do it in an order to allow you to get a wrench on all of them if that makes any sense? From what I remember there was only one that was a pain to get tightened back up because you could barely get a wrench turn on it. But it was doable.

And I was prepared for a big oil spill, but not much at all was lost.

ItBmine

The fittings do not have to be super tight, so that's how you can do it with a standard wrench. You can get enough of a turn to get them tight enough to seal.

Dsimonson23

I just used my regular open ended wrenches. I can't remember the size at this time, but you have to take off more lines than the two you are switching, and do it in an order to allow you to get a wrench on all of them if that makes any sense? From what I remember there was only one that was a pain to get tightened back up because you could barely get a wrench turn on it. But it was doable.

And I was prepared for a big oil spill, but not muc