cold starting issue

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
It’s not just a Kubota thing. I own a JD4239 engine in a compactor and it had an optional starting-fluid injection system for arctic use which could be installed... BUT that system was specially-timed to inject the fluid only AFTER TDC so the piston was already on a downward stroke after compression. I own several different diesel machines and they ALL warn against using starting fluid/ether and the reasoning is the same.
Good luck with your pump problem. If you fix that issue you likely won’t need to continue risking your machine with ether.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Well as I said, I've used it for years because I had a weak pump and I just used the S/F only needed it in the Winter time, But Never Had any problems, I've been a Cattle Farmer a Long time (over 35 years) and used my Tractor a Lot in the Winter putting out Hay, I've seen Diesel Mechanics start tractors Totally on Either to Pick up the Fuel when someone ran them out. Sounded like beating the pistons with a Big Hammer BUT NEVER seen one Break! Of Course they Were NOT KUBOTA's! Either John Deere or Ford or International. I now have a L3301 Because I got OLD and Soft, and I wouldn't take a chance with it!
you should look into the thermostart or flame start that is on some equipment. i had never seen one until i purchased a new holland tractor to feed cows with. then later i got a case skid steer with a cummins engine and discovered it had one also. no need for block heater or glow plugs and the cost to replace it if it goes bad is less than 20 dollars. it uses an extremely small amount of current actually less than a cigarette lighter so even if your battery is weak you can still get started.