Come along

BigDan

Getting ready to get a wench for the RTV,XT. Only to be used when stuck. What do you guys think about just going with a come along and a chain. This way I could pull from front or rear. Not expecting to get stuck much I only use it around the house and hunting. I have read several stories about burning up the wenches and running batteries down.:wall:

Red Beard

It'll work or you can also use a handyman jack with rope or chain. A little more work, but a lot less to go wrong!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That'd work. I've used a couple come alongs to get my mower back on track after having a mishap. Chit happens.

urednecku

Nothing wrong with a come along. It is better than nothing.

Not to mention much cheaper, more portable, many more uses, etc.
Just get a better one, not the cheapest or lightest one you can find. First time you put it in a hard pull, you'll know what I'm talking about.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What urednecku said about quality. A good thing about a come a long, it would work from the front or rear. I don't have a winch and fortunately have seldom been stuck. The worst was in a boggy bean field. Had to get several long chains,a cable and a 4wd truck to get me out. The truck couldn't even get close. bordercollie

BigDan

:pat:Did some checking, 6000 # chain come a long $270, 40 feet of chain strong enough $200, only $100 cheaper than wench.:pat::angry3:

vintovka

IMHO a come along is a nice addition to a winch. Not the other way around (unless you have lots of time patience and muscle). In addition, a proper size winch will allow you to safely do tasks (and handle emergencies) that would be otherwise tough. Bringing big snags down without one can be scary.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Only to be used when stuck.

If that is the only reason you want one. Get a come a long >>>

If I had to do again, I would get one. And forget the winch.

Have NEVER used my winch to pull my RTV out of a spot.

Plus, with these 589 tires on this machine, you can't get stuck, unless you really do something stupid.

Have used winch to pull a couple four wheelers out of stump holes.
( I could have used a rope )

Winched some shrubs and small stumps out of my sons new place.
( I could have used a rope, cable, or chain )

For years, MANY YEARS, we hunted out of a old willis jeep, and all we had was
a old cable come a long. We survived !!!! And it served us well.....

You don't have to get chains, you can get tow ropes, belts, etc ....

Most of the time when one is stuck, all you have to do is just move it a few feet anyway.....

Get you a heavy-duty, cable come-a-long. Save your $$$$ & headaces.....

Attachments

• cvfsupplyco-store_2184_18320018.gif
    cvfsupplyco-store_2184_18320018.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 144

BigDan

Thanks Two Guns, sounds like the way to go, my thought is if you get stuck sometimes it's better to pull back out instead of forward. And you are right I can get a cable come a long like in your picture for about $100 and just go with straps for about $50 or so and spend the saved money on lights and other good stuff.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The chain would be cumbersome too. Like Two Guns suggested ,cables ,or tow ropes would be good in my opinion . Have you priced a quality come a long with the same weight rated cable that would be on a winch? I think myself I would go that way. It would be all rolled up on the come a long and there ,neat and tidy, ready if you needed it. bordercollie :doggy:

vintovka

I reread all the posts and thought about the comments. It finally dawned on me that your winch/come along decision may depend on a) where you live b) the purpose of your RTV and c) your physical abilities. I'm a busted up old man now and live on a rocky, steep hillside with lots of oaks. Some slopes exceed 40% and elevation varies as much as 500' with a creek in the middle. The RTV serves as a wood gathering and property access tool. More than half my firewood is inaccessible and must be pulled out to the trail so it can be towed to a level spot for cutting and splitting. The winch is always first choice with the come along as a last resort. I can't remember ever really being stuck in the rtv and using the winch for self recovery but its comforting to know its there. Winch was down for a week and man i missed it!!

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Your physical abilities. I'm a busted up old man now
*** I can't remember ever really being stuck in the rtv and using the winch for self recovery but its comforting to know its there.

....... And I couldn't agree with you more on the physical abilities and task one uses the RTV for.

:2gunsfiring_v1:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is a very good point Vintovka. I can feel my limitations growing a little more everyday or else a 50 lb bag is getting heavier... I seldom have the need for a winch the way I use my RTV. It would just sit there. When I do get stuck , it is usually in a field with nothing close to pull from. I use a 1/4 inch welded, 16' chain to pull the mineral troughs with and keep it on the floorboard . I clearly see what you are saying and how use dictates which one to get. bordercollie :doggy:

vintovka

. When I do get stuck , it is usually in a field with nothing close to pull from.

Seems we are on opposite ends of the terrain universe. I'm Rarely more than 5 feet from a tree or giant rock. Wouldnt be so bad if the tree or rock wasn't either 10 feet above or 15' below me!

Whats a "field"?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whats a "field"?
It's a featureless plain where our some of our Southern and Mid-Western members keep their cattle. What's really funny about their cattle is that all their legs are the same length. The poor things don't have their left side legs shorter so they can stay vertical on the hills.

vintovka

Funny. I'm the last of a full blooded Sicilian family dating back to 1308. I was always told Sicilian cows had to walk clockwise up hills and back down the same way due to one leg being shorter than the other. I personally lean heavily to the right.

BigDan

I think the best is going to be,go with the winch, my worst fear is getting stuck in a muddy field with nothing to hook to, but I will build me a ( Pull Pal Land Anchor ) that will take care of that, if you have never seen one of these plug that into the search or U-Tub. Looks pretty easy to build and appears to work well.may just buy one if they aren't too much.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's a featureless plain where our some of our Southern and Mid-Western members keep their cattle. What's really funny about their cattle is that all their legs are the same length. The poor things don't have their left side legs shorter so they can stay vertical on the hills.

Well Bczoom ,one time about 15 years ago we bought some fancy registered Angus cows from up yonder and those were some prissy cows. Let me tell you! That was back when I ran the insulated electric fence wire through pvc pipe at the gate crossing. Those cows had frost bit ears and short tails from frostbite so we called them the "princess cows" This group walked up to the pvc pipe, smelled it, then turned around and backed backwards across the pipe. That is the honest truth!! Those Northern cows are something-short tails and ears and walk backwards through a gate! :biggrin: bordercollie

Last edited:

Hard Times

Well, this is my theroy on the issue Dan to each his own. Being a owner of a 25000 Ib Dozer, I have gotten stuck several times in very deep mud and sand. I have used a 20000 Ib PTO winch with a snatch block and it double the strength and pulled the dozer out every time with no strain. It depends on your physical condition for using a come -a- long, or get a snatch block, winch, and anchor and be happy with no worries.