differental lock

fdharley

the dealer told me the differental lock was for front and back</P>

end i think he was wrong ,i thing it just for the back end</P>

or i may be wrong 2007 kubota rtv 900</P>

</P>

fdharley</P>

ez chair

Rear only, Deerlope, Front diffs are locked quite often, they steer better than units that lock the rear and not the front. Lock your rear in two wheel drive and you will quickly see why. Locked rears go straight.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="ez chair"]Rear only, Deerlope, Front diffs are locked quite often, they steer better than units that lock the rear and not the front. Lock your rear in two wheel drive and you will quickly see why. Locked rears go straight.[/quote]
OK, Deerlope said rears only. I agree. Tell us what you mean. Locked rears are common amongst UTVs or ATV's. The front is what steers. A diff-lock on the front helps pull but sucks for steering.

rapracing

[quote user="Deerlope"] Ok, please disregard my postbecause the guy said I don't know what I am talking about.[/quote]</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>Deerlope</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>If you are wrong them I am also. It is the rear that locks and not the front. Some units lock both front and rear but not the Kubota. That is where the whinning comes in about 3 vs 4 wheel drive. If the front is lock it becomes harder to steer. I have a 4 wheeler with 4 wheel diff lock. If I lock the fronts in it is all but impossible to turn. It will rip your arms off, or at least tire them out quickly trying to turn it with the fronts locked in. It will go anywhere but you better be able to go straight to get there.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>As I said I may be wrong but I agree with you.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5>Too answer the origional question "Only the rear locks, not the front"</FONT></P>

ez chair

I think we all agree that the locker pedal only locks the rear. I have owned everything from ATVs to farm tractors to construction loaders with the ablity to lock the front differentials. in loose conditions they provide the ultimate traction and directional control. If you misuse them and leave them applied on solid ground you are absolutely right ,BC,they will pull hard on your hands and can damage the unit. When you turn, the inner front wheel turns less, if locked it has to slip on surface its on. My guess is your conditions don't require that agressive traction. Snow and ice in Maine is so slippery it does. Sorry if I upset anyone.

Deerlope

Re: differential lock

You didn't upset me. I am not going to argue with anyone.The next time a person ask a question I am not going to be the first to reply. I am going to let all the geniuses on here do it first.

ez chair

Deerlope, I think we are all on the same page. If there is solid traction under your front wheels and the diff is locked you are going to feel it in your arms. If traction is minimal then wheels will pull in the direction turned if they can find any traction at all. "Plowing" as we call it is always a problem if you have the ability to lock front diff and have varying traction rates. The RTV uses a true lock-up in the rear. The best lockers in front differentials are not true lock-ups but ratcheting lockers that allow the outer front turning wheel to "walk" around the inner front, thus the slip issue goes away and so does the "rip your arms" off issue. I know of no ATV that has that type in front.I heard the 3 vs 4 was a hot issue I guess I jumped nievely in not knowing the passion it stirs. If I'm all wet tell me the facts as you know them and I can learn from you and others.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
<FONT face=Georgia color=#ff0000>there ain't nutin wrong with limited slip front end. it's never stopped me from going any place i wanted to go with my hpx. with the right tires and if you know your machine there ain't nuthinthat can stop ya.besides that i got a warn winch and 200' of rope if things don't go my way.lmao</FONT></P>

Deerlope, you are correct in your thinking. </P>

On the RTV, the rear diff locks, the front does not. </P>

Locking a front diff would make the RTV very hard to steer. The reasoning, I'm sure, is that the average operator won't know to unlock the diff on "dry" ground, thus breaking the diff. </P>

ez chair

agree KT, I feel I'm above average and would still forget to turn it off.I won't find any "dry" ground in Maine till May. Locking rear causes me to "plow" strait in snow and ice, the one drive wheel in front cannot find enough traction to overcome the two rear wheels pushing strait ahead. There are so many positive things with the RTV that I can live with this minor inconveniance. Just have to make sure I have enough room to "plow" out of trouble.