Electronic Ignition on Farmall H problem

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Glenn,
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
I started this issue in a new thread for you.
Guessing someone will know the answer. Sorry but I don't.

glenn stauffer said:
I changed my points system on the distributor to a Pertronix electric ignition on my Farmall H. And now the only way it stays running is if I hold the starter button in all the time. The minute I leave the starter button off it stops. I believe I have it wired correctly as the instructions call for. The instructions say to bring the wire from the ignition switch button to the black wire on the Pertronix sensor and the black & white wire from the Pertronix sensor to the negative side of the coil and the positive side of the coil to ground. This is a positive ground 6v system. Can anyone give me help? Thanks, Glenn

GLAWALL

Hey Glenn,
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
I started this issue in a new thread for you.
Guessing someone will know the answer. Sorry but I don't.

The wire you have attached to the starter button needs to be attached to the ignition switch (the switch you use to turn the tractor off) this wire will need power when the switch is on and no power when the switch is off. I hope this helps and good luck with it.

Art454

Us car guys that switch over to that Pertronix electric ignition that I no of has had problems with them burning up....so most have gone back to points or MSD ignition.
I don't think MSD makes a system that I know of for that Tractor....lol
Points are really hard to beat for starting as they take much less rpm to start the engine.
Bad thing like my 71 vette is that they are getting so costly.
I tried the Pertronix electric ignition in my vette with the new ign. wire I had to install and didn't like how it performed compared to points so out it went with the special coil you needed to keep it from burning up. That might be why some guys I no had troubles with that system.

Art